Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2008, 18:05   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Other wise also CRV not only drinks fuel but also gets a shower in it .Its known for its really low mileage.But i feel its the best looking one for that price.The new crv is a beauty.Are you refering to the old shape or new shape?
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 00:03   #62
BHPian
 
virkdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CHANDIGARH
Posts: 46
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi guys
Its from a authorised Honda dealer, Has 7000km on the odo, cheked the price again its 15 lacs.Drove it and it drove just like new, just worried the fuel costs will kill but confused cos will be saving a couple of lacs from the brand new crv, the shape is the new one.
virkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 12:31   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 886
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

In Mumbai, I have faced similar dilemma and confusion and test drove CRV to Innova, Safari, Sumo Grande and had seen Santa Fe in an exhibition last year. Was eagerly waiting for Captiva hoping it will come with auto tranny but disappointed. CRV matches requirements a lot but then its petrol.

The best option I liked in SUVs as far as performance and specs goes is VW Touareg 45 lakhs / Beamer X5 but thats beyond reach as yet besides being five seaters.

Best value for money is Safari - it has 4*4 option - seven seater but its only in manual transmission and no sun roof, no cruise control. CRV too doesnt have cruise control.
Scorpio VLX has a lot of gizmos but is lacking most of the basics like powered ORVMs, drivers seat height adjustment, lumbar support and 4*4.

So finally, in my quest for an auto transmission big car- for Mumbai I have settled for a Santro automatic (booked) for city commute and for highways have kept Verna VGT and decided to save money till they launch Outlander with 4*4 and CVT with 6 preset ratios - paddle shifter and at least an option sun roof, cruise control etc. and 17 inches alloys.

Santa Fe is coming hopefully by Oct 08, but 24( guess) lakhs for H Matic - 4 speed is too much of a price.

But if I couldnt wait and had to buy something then I would pick up a CRV with sunroof(2.4 AT).

@ Virkdoc- if you like the vehicle- go ahead. Its a good bargain. Doest it have sunroof and what is the warranty that you are getting?

Of course, in Dubai there are plenty and plenty of options and CRV still looks good , here too.

Last edited by shatrughna : 12th March 2008 at 12:34.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 16:39   #64
BHPian
 
1-Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 388
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
In Mumbai, I have faced similar dilemma and confusion and test drove CRV to Innova, Safari, Sumo Grande and had seen Santa Fe in an exhibition last year. Was eagerly waiting for Captiva hoping it will come with auto tranny but disappointed. CRV matches requirements a lot but then its petrol.

The best option I liked in SUVs as far as performance and specs goes is VW Touareg 45 lakhs / Beamer X5 but thats beyond reach as yet besides being five seaters.

Best value for money is Safari - it has 4*4 option - seven seater but its only in manual transmission and no sun roof, no cruise control. CRV too doesnt have cruise control.
Scorpio VLX has a lot of gizmos but is lacking most of the basics like powered ORVMs, drivers seat height adjustment, lumbar support and 4*4.

So finally, in my quest for an auto transmission big car- for Mumbai I have settled for a Santro automatic (booked) for city commute and for highways have kept Verna VGT and decided to save money till they launch Outlander with 4*4 and CVT with 6 preset ratios - paddle shifter and at least an option sun roof, cruise control etc. and 17 inches alloys.

Santa Fe is coming hopefully by Oct 08, but 24( guess) lakhs for H Matic - 4 speed is too much of a price.

But if I couldnt wait and had to buy something then I would pick up a CRV with sunroof(2.4 AT).

@ Virkdoc- if you like the vehicle- go ahead. Its a good bargain. Doest it have sunroof and what is the warranty that you are getting?

Of course, in Dubai there are plenty and plenty of options and CRV still looks good , here too.
Wait for fully loaded Captiva with sunroof, 4 X 4, Auto DSG, Traction control @ 20 lacs. Problems like excessive torque steer will be history.

You dont expect Captiva to behave like CRV because its diesel (turbo lag will be evident) and higher centre of gravity (so it wont handle as well as CRV).

But as I had remarked previously, Santa Fe will priced much higher to make it a sweet deal, Captiva will be the best bet by a long mile.

If I were to spend, 25 odd lacs, I would go with X-Trail or push my budget (add additional 4-5 lacs) to the likes of Audi A4, BMW 3 series to foray into whole new level of driving.

So as for now for me, fully loaded captiva is the best deal around at around 20 lacs ex showroom price. Hopefully it will be launched anyway near July this year.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 18:01   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

I had seen the captiva.Wonderfull street presence and good quality too.I feel its VFM in the 20lakh bracket when compared to 18 lakh CRV.Captiva is diesel too which is a clear edge above the crv.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 19:02   #66
BHPian
 
GTO - Touring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 713
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
The best option I liked in SUVs as far as performance and specs goes is VW Touareg 45 lakhs
Where did you see the Touareg for 45 lakhs? On the road price is almost 60.
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 20:02   #67
BHPian
 
1-Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 388
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

The best SUV at 45 lacs is Volvo X90. It's diesel powered, boast of excellent quality inside, has loads of equipment, safest in the world and it has got just about everything which BMW X5, Audi Q7 and Mercedes M Class got.....except for snob value.

I also hear that sometime soon, Land Cruiser Prado is coming with monster diesel engine (4000 CC). That could be a great buy if one is looking purely as a hardcore SUV.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 23:21   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 198
Thanked: 23 Times
Default RE: 20 Lac SUV

I too second that, The XC 90 is an excellent vehicle. Anyways the question is on a 20L SUV, you should test drive the Captiva. I found it pretty ok except the gearbox. its on the harder side. Else wait for a little while to have more options to choose from.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 11:05   #69
BHPian
 
1-Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 388
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Where did you see the Touareg for 45 lakhs? On the road price is almost 60.
He must be talking about second hand Touareg
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 12:38   #70
BHPian
 
ishotmydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 594
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

your best options for a 20 lac SUV -

1. pajero - a little outdated design but is tough
2. captiva - its new and looks promising
3. vitara - cheapest(of the 3) and also looks good

if you can stretch your budget a little try the nissan x-trail(22-25L.)
ishotmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 15:19   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 886
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
He must be talking about second hand Touareg
Its research thru websites mainly on spec sheets and features options and an article on kahsyap motors. I also looked at XC90 today but I guess its comparatively less peppy than Touareg. Incidentally there are two models available in Delhi at ex showroom price of 45 and 55 lakhs respectively- if add insurance, regn.etc. yes it should be 48-50 lakhs. I didnt call up the dealer at Mumbai since, I dont intend to place an order for a avehicle in that price range as yet.

Of course, I found a Touareg-2005 model in Delhi advertised for 45Lakhs, but not interested as yet.


My wishlist in SUV are as follows:
1) top speed of min 200 kmph with acceleration 0-100 not more than 11 secs. ( not less than Verna VGT)
2) Automatic with option for manual like- paddle shift/ DSG/HMatic- min 5 speed.
3) all the bells and whistles - including sunroof, tyretronic,retractable and adjustable -power ORVMs.- benchmark -Laura DSG.
4) HID/ projector lamps.
5) GC of min 200 mm and better if adjustable.- benchmark- Safari .
6) Seven Seater - min.
7)17" alloys/ bigger the better.
8)4*4 - on the fly (not AWD).
and priced under 25 on road - if diesel and under 22 if petrol.

I had been eagerly waiting for Captiva-LTX after reading about it in Feb 07- in Auto India and then disapponted by them in Jan 08 in fact when I read about it I was in Dubai and felt like not coming back but then hopes are now on with Outlander.

If Captiva delivers LTX - I am ready unless Outlander outclasses it.

Last edited by shatrughna : 13th March 2008 at 15:21.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 21:04   #72
BHPian
 
1-Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 388
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
My wishlist in SUV are as follows:
1) top speed of min 200 kmph with acceleration 0-100 not more than 11 secs. ( not less than Verna VGT)
2) Automatic with option for manual like- paddle shift/ DSG/HMatic- min 5 speed.
3) all the bells and whistles - including sunroof, tyretronic,retractable and adjustable -power ORVMs.- benchmark -Laura DSG.
4) HID/ projector lamps.
5) GC of min 200 mm and better if adjustable.- benchmark- Safari .
6) Seven Seater - min.
7)17" alloys/ bigger the better.
8)4*4 - on the fly (not AWD).
and priced under 25 on road - if diesel and under 22 if petrol.
I think there will be only one vehicle to fulfill almost all these needs and that is Captiva. Wait for the fully loaded version comes out, I'm also waiting for the same and it will be below 25 OTR price tag by a fair shot.

Santa FE, as I understand, will cost way over 25 lacs OTR as it is rumoured to cost around 24 lacs ExS.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 08:59   #73
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 37
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Its research thru websites mainly on spec sheets and features options and an article on kahsyap motors. I also looked at XC90 today but I guess its comparatively less peppy than Touareg. Incidentally there are two models available in Delhi at ex showroom price of 45 and 55 lakhs respectively- if add insurance, regn.etc. yes it should be 48-50 lakhs. I didnt call up the dealer at Mumbai since, I dont intend to place an order for a avehicle in that price range as yet.

Of course, I found a Touareg-2005 model in Delhi advertised for 45Lakhs, but not interested as yet.


My wishlist in SUV are as follows:
1) top speed of min 200 kmph with acceleration 0-100 not more than 11 secs. ( not less than Verna VGT)
2) Automatic with option for manual like- paddle shift/ DSG/HMatic- min 5 speed.
3) all the bells and whistles - including sunroof, tyretronic,retractable and adjustable -power ORVMs.- benchmark -Laura DSG.
4) HID/ projector lamps.
5) GC of min 200 mm and better if adjustable.- benchmark- Safari .
6) Seven Seater - min.
7)17" alloys/ bigger the better.
8)4*4 - on the fly (not AWD).
and priced under 25 on road - if diesel and under 22 if petrol.

I had been eagerly waiting for Captiva-LTX after reading about it in Feb 07- in Auto India and then disapponted by them in Jan 08 in fact when I read about it I was in Dubai and felt like not coming back but then hopes are now on with Outlander.

If Captiva delivers LTX - I am ready unless Outlander outclasses it.
With your wishlist you are gunning for the new landcruiser (amazon in the Uk) or the land rover discovery. you have to wait for some year before you can pick them up in the second hand market at price lower than 25 lakhs.. Just kidding

On a serious note you have really summed up most people's aspirational SUV. I really hope Tata's bring the Discovery to india at that price. For me the Defender at the price of Pajero will do.
HappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 00:01   #74
BHPian
 
Insane Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 983
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Guys, Please keep in mind that the CAPTIVA will not have the DSG Auto transmission. Its a normal Auto Transmission with 5 speed.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:44   #75
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 886
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Hi Insane bhai! will it have an auto tranny with any kind of manual option like paddle shifts if not a DSG. It will be disappointing to have just a conventional auto tranny like CRV.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Reva e2o price cut! Now at 4.99 lakh (Mumbai), 4.79 lakh (Delhi) prakhar1998 The Indian Car Scene 18 1st August 2016 11:33
2015 Report: 5 lakh accidents, 1.46 lakh deaths dZired Street Experiences 38 21st July 2016 16:49
Comparison of select cars in the Rs. 13-15 Lakh (P) & 13.5-15.5 Lakh (D) price range jessie007 The Indian Car Scene 4 31st October 2012 14:59
Suzuki plans SUV at Rs 7 lakh sandeepmdas The Indian Car Scene 15 8th September 2005 14:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks