Tata 207 DI Crew Cab (CRDI) 0 0%
Tata Telcoline (CRDI) Hoping for this one to be out soon.. 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19th January 2005, 14:24   #1
BHPian

Arrow MUVs between 5-7 Lacs ??

Hi All,

I am looking for a serious off-roader in 2005, to seat 5-7 people in comfort.. Decent diesel fuel efficiency, preferably with a Turbo-charged, CRDI and Intercooler technology.

Budget is 5-7 Lacs. Options considered are the following in no particular order.

1> Chevy Tavera.
2> Toyota Innova (New Qualis).
3> Mahindra Bolero (Heard they are coming with CRDI this year).
4> Tata Safari (CRDI)
5> Tata 207 DI Twin-Cab with some modifications to the loading bay..

Your expert opinion is hugely appreciated. Anybody, who is aware of the launch dates of the Tavera CRDI, or the new Qualis.. Please let me know..

Cheers,
Old 19th January 2005, 14:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

tavera CRDI ???
i dont think they are launchin it in CRDi guise
the tavera , innova arent really off roaders
try to get an used endeavour .
the best off road vehicle available in that price (a bit more)
safari and scorpio may be a bit above your price bracket so i suggest a used endeavour or in april this year go and bargain for a new non crdi safari or scorpio
dont know much abouit 207 though but it is not an off roader
from your list i would go for the safari CRDI however as the scorpio needs better tyres and a way better suspension
Old 19th January 2005, 16:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Lambo, the name of the thread reads MUV's, so I guess that wot he really means.
If thats so, Innova.

If not, Scorpio.
Old 19th January 2005, 16:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
Hi All,

I am looking for a serious off-roader in 2005, to seat 5-7 people in comfort.. Decent diesel fuel efficiency, preferably with a Turbo-charged, CRDI and Intercooler technology.
the words serious off roader say otherwise
and also 5 - 7 people in comfort would mean safari
most of the uto enthusiasts would agree with me when i say that the scorpio has a really bad suspension (ruins handling too ) and brake problem and is not exactly meant for off-roading .
Old 19th January 2005, 16:30   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
safari and scorpio may be a bit above your price bracket so i suggest a used endeavour
Which used Endeavours have you seen cheaper than 7 lacs?

Man23ish,

If you want to off-road, your best bet is the Bolero 4x4. Its way improved and some Mahindra guys actually recommend it over the Scorpio.

If the Bolero is too harsh and outdated for you, go for the Scorpio 4x4.

GTO
Old 19th January 2005, 16:43   #6
BHPian

Talking MUVs under 7L

Well, what i meant by off-roading capabilities is by looking at the road-conditions in bangalore. There are no roads heh heh.. So a vehicle should be able to handle such roads and have a lot of cargo space as well..
Old 19th January 2005, 17:22   #7
BHPian

The Innova(new Qualis)is by far the best of the lot though it may not be very capable offroader as its not a 4x4.
Old 19th January 2005, 17:27   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In that case, wait for the Innova. Its the best....by a mile.

GTO
Old 19th January 2005, 18:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dude..I would seriously suggest u the Bolero CRDI. An all new Bolero is on its way, totally new design with a nice crdi engine developed with Delphi. And I would repeat GTOs words...if not the Bolero...try the new upcoming Scorpio.
Old 20th January 2005, 11:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

ohhh
in that case the bolero or the scorpio or even the innova will be fine
i you wait for a month my dads friends getting one so i can tell you some more about it
Old 21st January 2005, 20:03   #11
BHPian

Thumbs up

Did some more investigation, and the BOLERO INVADER appeals a lot to me.. Any idea when the CRDI version is coming out??
Old 21st January 2005, 21:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ahhhhhh Thats one REALLY uncomfy car, man, more along Gypsy lines, ya know..........
Old 22nd January 2005, 12:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Ahhhhhh Thats one REALLY uncomfy car, man, more along Gypsy lines, ya know..........
Hmm you are right, i went to the showroom today. They didn't have any available at the time. So i couldn't test ride it. I get a feeling that its not selling a lot.. Besides the roof in the drivers cabin cannot be removed.. So it lost its appeal right there.. I was looking to remove the roof and go off-roading.. Besides ground clearance and fuel eco also not very good.. I guess the chevy and the toyota showrooms are next options !!
Old 24th January 2005, 19:25   #14
BHPian

i guess the Toyota innova is gonna be a D4D(Direct-4 Stroke Diesel Turbo Commonrail)
making 102bhp which is good enough compared to the Qualis,ive been driving a Qualis for the last 1 year,as a MUV its serves the purpose xcept fot the rear leaf springs n the looks n yea the engine cries when u revv 2 muh,it handles well though.Well the Innova is jus gonna be perfect on our Indian roads,the elimination of the rear leaf springs is gonna reduce the lag n the D4D engine will make a huge diff on the performance.Ive seen the Innova when i visited ARAI(Pune) n it looks gr8 its even bigger than the Qualis,n with a pricing between 7-10 lakhs i guess it the perfect MUV with the TOYOTA reliability badge.
Old 25th January 2005, 12:27   #15
BHPian

Post Innova

Does anybody know how much local components is toyota going to use on the Innova, if all the components of the Innova are going to be imported, the cost of maintenance will be too high..

Any Idea if Toyota is also launching the Hi-Lux Range of Pickups and SUV's in India too.. I know that probably we don't have a huge market for high-end Pickups, but to encounter the Ford Endeavour, Toyota might as well bring out the Hi-Lux SUVs. I am hoping that the pricing of the Hi-Lux is better than Endeavour.
Closed Thread