Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 4th March 2008, 15:33   #16

Exclamation

I am aware of the unstability of the scorpio. But i dont see my dad driving that thing at 120+kph.

In regards to the safari it has the 2.2 engine not 3.0 as mentioned. unless i have to go on another page and select that model.

The main reason for the SUV is since my dad has invested in some land in Goa. He plans to make it his own jungle retreat if you may call it that.

He loves off-roading and i cant tell you how much. in short he has cost me about 5000 dollars in repairs. He took my rover out for a month with some of his pals. he went driving about the grand canyon, yellowstone and aspen, thats alot of beating.

Anyway his main purpose would be driving around India, He has plans of driving to Assam,Darjeeling, Shimla that entire stretch. I was looking more on the lines of a ford endeavour. its luxurious as well right?

But Mahindra does do alot of off-roading competitions so that has got him on hold. Can non mahindra vehicles join those competitions. if so i think he would like the endeavour
mamba24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 23:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

The Endevour comes with 3.0L engine and 4x4 standard now, the 2.5 L is only 2wd.
And NO great escape is only for M&M vehicles..
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 12:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Indian SUV's -4x4

I would suggest the following on my Off-Road Experience with them.

1) Ford Endeavour 2.5L TDCI (Better Off-Road)
The New Ford Endeavour's come with a 2.5L Common Rail Engine and 4x4 is optional (2-4months waiting period)

2) Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8L TDI (better handling & Road manners)

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 15:25   #19
BHPian

..but to me Petrol and SUV dont mix...

Oh wow, man, thats a whole other discussion!

Do you really drive a diesel LR and ur wife a diesel Wrangler?? Having owned a Jeep Cherokee, Liberty (Automatic, that too), and the 6-speed Wrangler - All petrol - I can assure you that petrol-engined SUVs lose nothing against their diesel counterparts. Since you're looking at this vehicle as a primary ride and considering a lot of local/national driving onroad, you should probably be gunning for petrol first and diesel second.

If your dad is moving back to India after 10 years away, why don't you look at importing your own choice? That way you can choose the vehicle you want, and get it converted to Right-hand drive there itself.

Considering your dad's needs, I cannot recommend the Jeep Liberty highly enough. Soft-roader to some, but with true Jeep genes.
avkurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 17:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

A bit OT: mind elaborating on this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
I would suggest the following on my Off-Road Experience with them.

1) Ford Endeavour 2.5L TDCI (Better Off-Road)
The New Ford Endeavour's come with a 2.5L Common Rail Engine and 4x4 is optional (2-4months waiting period)

Arka
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:04   #21

Default Off-roading etc

Your Dad would be quite Ok in a Scorpio, you may need to special order a 4X4 mHawk. I travel extensively on all manner of roads in India, and have loogged a fair number in a Scorp (on/off road). As long as he does not plan to do over 120kmph(~75mph) on a highway in India, he should be OK.
I personally drive a Safari, Diesel Prado (the american eq. is the petrol lexus GX470), and a 4.2TD 80 series Landcruiser.
Hopefully he knows some kung-fu to deal with goons on the road, failing which, an axe, long knife and a few metal baseball bats generally work quite well! There are no cops on long trips and your safety net is yourself. The worst traffic offenders are bloody buses, watch out for them. Otherwise your dad will enjoy the anarchy called roads in India.
turboglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 15:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

suggesting the Nissan X Trail or the new Ford Endeavour 3 Litre Diesel 4x4 for someone who is used to vehicles the way they are in the US.

Or else, if absolutely keen on Scorpio, the 4x4 SLX would be a good choice - but do watch out for some body roll while cornering etc.

In any case, since your dad appears to be an off road enthusiast of sorts, I think he will be more than cognizant of the higher centre of gravity in these SUV's and thus, not use them like one would, a sports hatch or sedan!

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboglx View Post
Your Dad would be quite Ok in a Scorpio, you may need to special order a 4X4 mHawk. I travel extensively on all manner of roads in India, and have loogged a fair number in a Scorp (on/off road). As long as he does not plan to do over 120kmph(~75mph) on a highway in India, he should be OK.
I personally drive a Safari, Diesel Prado (the american eq. is the petrol lexus GX470), and a 4.2TD 80 series Landcruiser.
Hopefully he knows some kung-fu to deal with goons on the road, failing which, an axe, long knife and a few metal baseball bats generally work quite well! There are no cops on long trips and your safety net is yourself. The worst traffic offenders are bloody buses, watch out for them. Otherwise your dad will enjoy the anarchy called roads in India.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 16:42   #23
BHPian

hey mamba24, Scorpio is a good choice of vehicle within the 10L bracket. But finding a 4WD will not be as easy as you think, especially a used one.

Seriously, why dont you (re) consider the New 3L Endeaver 4X4 (thunder+) or a 2.5L used one?
mansidea is offline   Reply With Quote