Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 24th March 2008, 14:40   #1
BHPian

Default Used Pajero Vs New Safari

Yup, i know both cannot be compared at first place considering the capacity and quality but then i have a problem here:

I am not at all satisfied with the sluggish performance of my Safari 1.9TD I need to get my car upgraded before i get too frustrated.

My requirement:

1) Stable at high speeds and cornering
2) Quality and refinement especially interior pads and plastic parts - I hate the noise when i take Safari out on a bumpy road !
3) Mileage - Not looking at a mileage of 20 kmpl i am looking at an average of 10 - 12kmpl so that i avoid frequent stops for filling fuel
4) Reliable in terms of maintenance and electrical issues, no constant fuse blow ups and etc.
5) Can ride through bumpy roads with ease

I am SUV guy for various practical options considering the amount of kms i drive and I have shortlisted the Pajero (all time fav) and the Safari DiCOR (a new 2.2 or a used 3 L)

I have couple of questions/ifs and buts here regarding both the cars:

Pajero
--------
1) Proven, rugged and smooth, how is the acceleration? Considering Pajero is a TD not CRDI will there be serious performance issues in terms of initial acceleration and top speed? can someone provide real time figures?
2) What's the fuel economy?
3) Service intervals and are spares costly? are they easily available? Can most of the servicing be done by a good local mech or should i depend on showroom service?
4) Suspension ?
5) What all should i look while buying a Pajero?

I love the Pajero blindly but then i need to ensure i look at more practical options considering i travel a lot. Plus I don't want my car to be another white elephant.

Safari
--------

1) have been improving for past few years but still quality an area of concern especially the interior padding and plastic
2) How is the 2.2 suspension? Are they rugged or still having issues? do they corner well or still have the body roll problem like older ones?
3) What's the actual mileage? I hear a lot of fancy figures and i cannot believe any until i drive one for really long
4) Spare availability in general?
5) Can a local mech service/troubleshoot issues or depend on showroom?
6) Is EX 4x4 worth it or would 4x2 work fine for small off roading adventures?

Honestly I am looking at the ideal cheap and best SUV. Please advise.

Thanks,
Sunish
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 15:24   #2
BHPian

Pajero gives mileage of ~6 kmpl only. I dont know about high speed stability as I have not done high speeds on Pajero. Acceleration part is good.
joshdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 15:39   #3
BHPian

Good to see a Pajero fan

1) The Pajero is way more stable on the road than a Safari but its no sportscar either.

2)Well the interiors arent really high quality but better than the safari.The refinement is quite good compared with the safari and many other diesel cars.

3)You can get around 8kmpl overall with max 10 on the highway.

4)Its known the world over for its bulletproof reliability.But prices of spares will be quite steep and the Mitsubishi A.S.S. isnt really great.

5)The Pajero can glide over bumps and bad patches really well.It has a really good ride quality.

6)0-100 takes about 18secs in Paj, 15secs in Safari Dicor.But the Paj really shines in overtaking performance and feels much faster than the numbers suggest.Its quite nice to drive and the gearbox is simply awesome.

7)Top Speed of both are about the same.

The Pajero is a great off roader,but its been there for a really long time.If you like it,go for it.Provided you can live with the dated looks,the dull interiors and the highly inflated price tag.
avmaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 15:40   #4
BHPian

Honestly, if you are willing to throw money or have some spare money lying around, go in got the Pajero. As far as the Safari 2.2 is concerned, we have many hard to please members who have dived in the 2.2 Safari river and are satisfied till now (dadu, J K Das, Rev-Hard).
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 15:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Get a Prado if you got the money.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 15:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

they are leauges apart- the pajero in the 20L and safari around 10L. if money not being a factor- go for the pajero. For none other than - its a pajero!
have travelled in both - and found the pajero comfort worlds ahead of the safari. (but have not travelled in the new 2.2 though! )
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 15:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
One of the best the Pajero may be but cheap it is definitely not. Lol. Close to 20 lacs on-road if I'm not mistaken.

The only three areas the 2.2/3.0 Safari will score over the Pajero (IMHO) -

1) Price
2) Newer technology (as in Common rail)
3) Best middle row comfort on God's own earth

The rest, including the purse-strings are in your handscheers:
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 16:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Let me answer your Q's based on my experience with 2.2l, have never driven a pajero though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Safari
--------

1) have been improving for past few years but still quality an area of concern especially the interior padding and plastic

No issues with the interior quality et all.

2) How is the 2.2 suspension? Are they rugged or still having issues? do they corner well or still have the body roll problem like older ones?

Suspension is nice and comfortable GC is 205 mm, body roll is present on high speeds (> 100) and if you try to snake around on the road.

3) What's the actual mileage? I hear a lot of fancy figures and i cannot believe any until i drive one for really long

On an avg 10 in the city, 11-13 on highways but Harjeev was able to get 18kmpl with Xtramile driving between 70-85 kmph. So engine is not the problem here.

4) Spare availability in general?

Available with TASS

5) Can a local mech service/troubleshoot issues or depend on showroom?

No, new engine and under warranty, only TASS should touch it.

6) Is EX 4x4 worth it or would 4x2 work fine for small off roading adventures?

Thats you personal preference based on your driving needs and budget. A 4x2 cannot take you far in offroading.

Nothing fits this as a Safari 4x4.

OT: , I am very simple person with simple desires and very easy to please, although I do have an eye for detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Honestly, if you are willing to throw money or have some spare money lying around, go in got the Pajero. As far as the Safari 2.2 is concerned, we have many hard to please members who have dived in the 2.2 Safari river and are satisfied till now (dadu, J K Das, Rev-Hard).
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 16:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

A.S.S. can be an issue with Pajero when you compare it with Safari's.

Built quality of Pajero is far better.

You want a cheap SUV and hence Prado/Montero is out of the list as someone suggested.

Buy 2.2 VX 4x4

And you get 2year/75km warranty and an extended for 8000rs for another 3 years of peace of mind for Safari.

Last edited by jkdas : 24th March 2008 at 16:05.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 16:09   #10
BHPian

For the sheer price diff , IMO the safari 2.2 is good VFM. Dont go by the older TCIC , the new dicor is really worth the money that u shell out. Also the Pajero is a much dated model than the safari. But if you are someone who likes snob value and have lot of money to shell out, just go ahead and try the pajero...but then it has nothing great to offer. For a little more than the pajero u could try the nissan, or the CRV.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 16:10   #11
BHPian

you guys rock, so fast replies and food for thought I apologise to the mod for posting my question in the wrong section and thanks for your help in moving this question to the right one.

My idea is either a new 2.2 Dicor or an used Pajero can't afford a new one at this stage. And for sure i love the classic dated and simple looks of Pajero much like i love my RD350. However the mileage figures are not exciting but then its foolish from my side to expect mileage from a performance car. Running costs are a worry for me at this stage.

How much does an used prado cost? I think that the ones available in india are petrol ones not diesel and do not know how good/bad their drinking habits are.

I have requested for a 2.2 dicor test drive, my first test drive was a flop show with the test car having a break down in the month of december 2007. Probably a bad day.

And i seriously don't understand why tata can't give attention to quality. I drove an accent viva thru bumpy roads at a speed of about 80kmph and did not notice any rattle from inside.
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 16:26   #12
BHPian

Pajero that is available in India is a aging warrier, at the 20L price level there are other suv's that are much more refined - x-trail, endevour,vitara,captiva?
Dieselone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 16:34   #13
BHPian

If I was in your place and with needs such as yours, I would not look anywhere else other than the Safari 2.2. A 2nd and Prado/Pajero is out of the question. Go with the Safari 2.2. VX 4x4 if you can. Then get back here and we will name your lady for you
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 16:35   #14

I test drove the 2.2 4x2 Safari the other day. Since I already own an older Safari, the pulling power of the 2.2 really stumped me.

A 2.2 VX 4x4 with slightly wider rubber and an aggressive bullbar with 2 huge fog-lights. How does it sound? Sounds good to me!
da_low_flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 16:44   #15
BANNED

Both as per me are better off in their own leagues.

Why compare and put the other down.

Indian consumer its a Safari all the way becoz of spare and service availability at hand and the best money can buy at that price

Got loads of money and want a snob value go in for the Pajero.

Both are great suv's man, enjoy whichever you can buy.

The 2.2 has good pulling power but i feel 3L DICOR has that MASS(Heavy) appeal.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 24th March 2008 at 16:45. Reason: add
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote