Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 6th May 2008, 14:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

This thread is starting out to be very interesting, even though was OT from the actual purpose!

Shankar, Anup - Why don't we take this discussion into another Scorpio review thread, or a new thread by itself? I do not see a lot of post which talks good about Scorpio (unfortunately), so this might be useful for people who wants to hear both side of the story (viz-a-viz Safari).
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 16:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
This thread is starting out to be very interesting, even though was OT from the actual purpose!

Shankar, Anup - Why don't we take this discussion into another Scorpio review thread, or a new thread by itself? I do not see a lot of post which talks good about Scorpio (unfortunately), so this might be useful for people who wants to hear both side of the story (viz-a-viz Safari).
HappyWheels, that's a good idea.
Perhaps the Mods can help by branching out the last few posts into a new thread.
I do tend to agree that this is always a raging debate at T-BHP, and that the Safari is 'glorified' more than it merits; especially if you factor in the RELIABILITY aspect.
To most of us who are tourers/travellers (and not enough of petrol-heads), what matters MOST is reliability of the vehicle, to the exclusion of many other 'niceties'!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 17:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

you know anup - there is a ghost in every machine - perhaps your particular chap was simply stretching his legs that day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Thanks Shankar. I'm not aware that altitude can cause sedimentation in diesel fuels even in the absence of cold. Will research this topic.
Apart from the morning start, the vehicle's performance was flawless throughout the day; even after having been parked for four to five hours.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 17:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

im with you happywheels
i thnk its about time the scorp owners brought some balance back into this see-saw, which appears rather heavily loaded on the Safari side at the moment!

Quote:

Old 6th May 2008, 17:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
you know anup - there is a ghost in every machine -
Police would agree with you one hundred percent!

As for me.... I'm not too sure!

Quote:
perhaps your particular chap was simply stretching his legs that day...
And Shankar, it wasn't one day, though my post might have led you to believe that. I was at Leh and Sarchu for 7 days! Each morning I had the same problem.

Last edited by anupmathur : 6th May 2008 at 17:13.
Old 6th May 2008, 22:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... To most of us who are tourers/travellers (and not enough of petrol-heads), what matters MOST is reliability of the vehicle, to the exclusion of many other 'niceties'!
Quote:
...i thnk its about time the scorp owners brought some balance back into this see-saw, which appears rather heavily loaded on the Safari side at the moment!
Yes; we need more of the Scorpio owners coming out with their reviews. Will help to balance out things.

Quote:
...And Shankar, it wasn't one day, though my post might have led you to believe that. I was at Leh and Sarchu for 7 days! Each morning I had the same problem.
Well, at least you had some 'consistency' in the problem that you faced!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 22:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, at least you had some 'consistency' in the problem that you faced!
Actually, yes!
By day 3 at Leh, I used to get into my car with a cup of tea and start the cranking drill!
Old 9th May 2008, 11:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

yes i agree

I like a vehicle that wont let me down. any hill dweller will tell you the same. last thing you want in bad weather, heavy rains or just driving along a lonely stretch of road, is for your vehicle to shuffle off its mortal coil as some are apt to do.

Also vastly prefer something that is nice, chunky yet compact and tough as nails - no rattles, no things falling off and which is well put together.

Minimal electrical toys and wires as these have a bad habit of kicking the bucket at crucial moments- what use is an electric rear view mirror if the wires inside break while going over some bad terrain - simple mechanical things are best! If they dont work, chuck them and change them!

Couldnt care less about reversing cameras etc - if you cant reverse by using your rear view mirrors, then sit at home and dont drive!

I love the Scorpio - I dont like the Safari. Thank god I didnt succumb to the lure of the freebies and stuff!

I couldnt care less what anyone says - the Tata Safari is nowhere near as reliable as the Mahindra Scorpio - very strong views no doubt, but fully justified ones!
cheers boyscheers:

Quote:
HappyWheels, that's a good idea.
Perhaps the Mods can help by branching out the last few posts into a new thread.
I do tend to agree that this is always a raging debate at T-BHP, and that the Safari is 'glorified' more than it merits; especially if you factor in the RELIABILITY aspect.
To most of us who are tourers/travellers (and not enough of petrol-heads), what matters MOST is reliability of the vehicle, to the exclusion of many other 'niceties'!
Old 9th May 2008, 11:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

a rather persistent and intractable ghost eh?

Quote:
Police would agree with you one hundred percent!

As for me.... I'm not too sure!

And Shankar, it wasn't one day, though my post might have led you to believe that. I was at Leh and Sarchu for 7 days! Each morning I had the same problem.
Old 9th May 2008, 11:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

I agree - I fall into the same category of tourer/traveller - certainly not a petrol head!

best thing is a large, capacious, diesel driven monster like a Scorp.
you feel indestructible and like a King on the Road and pretty much off it too!

I like the feeling and I wouldnt swap my Scorp for a lot of things!

what price loyalty then boys?

To most of us who are tourers/travellers (and not enough of petrol-heads), what matters MOST is reliability of the vehicle, to the exclusion of many other 'niceties'! [/quote]
Old 9th May 2008, 12:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Minimal electrical toys and wires as these have a bad habit of kicking the bucket at crucial moments- what use is an electric rear view mirror if the wires inside break while going over some bad terrain - simple mechanical things are best!
And here I have a complaint: that Mahindras haven't got their 'standard 4WD package' quite right.
I did not want power windows. (I offered to pay for the power windows but requested that manual ones be fitted in my vehicle).
I wanted a rear glass defogger, and said I'd pay the extra amount involved.
They would not oblige. Considering that each 4WD is made to order, I think these are small issues that can be easily accomodated.
Mahindra however feel differently and were unwilling to change anything from their 'standard' package for 4WD vehicles.
Also, colour choice is limited to only 4 colours, for the 4WD variant.
Keeping in mind that this is the most expensive variant by far, I thought it a bit of a shame to be denied these 'small' personal preferences.
Old 10th May 2008, 04:55   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I thought it a bit of a shame to be denied these 'small' personal preferences.
True, but in your position, I would just ignore and put more priority on things like 4WD, reliability on those challenging terrains etc.

Btw, talking about Scorp's ability in 9000 feets of altitude conveys a message that it is surely better than safari on the surface! I have seen/read Safari giving troubles even on the delivery day itself!

So, just ignore those small annoyances in options and go for Scorp!
sgmuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 06:52   #43
BHPian

SX4 is basically an crossover offering for customers in between the Jimny and the GV world wide. It even has an auto 4x4 engage like our CRV has. Here in India, sadly MSIL does not see sales for the hatch version(the crossover version) so added a boot so it can be sold as a sedan. It is sold as sedan else where too. This is also the reason there is a bump on the floor, where other cars have relatively flat floor. In the international range, the rear axle drive runs there. This is also the reason for its surprisingly large GC and big wheels. This makes it a ideal Highway car too.

So our SX4 sedan is internally is a Suzuki Xover, may not be as capable as the GV/Jimny/Gypsy as it does not have a 4WD option. Otherwise its body is designed to handle such stuff. In fact all the Xover designs will fit you perfectly as they are designed for mild off-roading, definitely more than farm track driving.

Light SUVs easily fare better in many conditions, GV is the best example for that. SX4 is light and will fare better than 2WD Scorpio in all slushy conditions and four people can easily take the SX4 out of most situations. Though SX4 is disguised as a city/Highway car it is not. Fusion is another example of such a car.

Apart from all this in the Indian context, buying the SX4 over Scorpio, you get boatloads of safety accessories and other features. I am not trying to sell you the SX4 but just trying to make the statement that SX4 is good enough, it can handle. If that's your first preference then buy it.
arunmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 07:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
So, just ignore those small annoyances in options and go for Scorp!
sgmuser, thanks, but I bought my Scorpio in Aug 2006.
Altitude wise, I have done all the highest motorable roads - Khardung La at 18380 ft, Chang La at 17800 ft and Taglang La at 17582 ft.
I have no regrets. I was keen to have a vehicle without power windows simply from the reliability point of view. Power windows are known to fail at the most inconvenient of places, and that sometimes leaves you in deep ****! The rear glass defogger is not such a big issue, as it is easy to put one of those aftermarket stick-on types.
Old 11th May 2008, 06:48   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looks like a niche requirement and you can try aftermarket fittings and there may be for sure a way. Iam driving a SX4 wagon at work and Scorp at home, so, I believe I can tell you, the build quality that you may be in need of in those tough and testing terrains is in Scorp more than in SX4. But SX4 with VVT is gem of a racer's car. I was driving it yesterday, 100 kms non stop around a speed of 140K with some loud music! yeah, I was alone! The engine is a gem i should tell you! But whether it can take that testing road condition that too without 4x4 in himalaya is questionable!

Last edited by sgmuser : 11th May 2008 at 06:50.
sgmuser is offline   Reply With Quote