Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 17th May 2008, 01:47   #1

Exclamation buy Scorpio from Chandigarh/Mumbai

Hi
I would be shifting to Mumbai soon and was planning to buy a Scorpio Lx.
However, I discovered that the cost of the variant on-road comes to be 7.44 Lacs in Chandigarh and 8.36 in Mumbai. The Ex-showroom is lesser and the RTO fee is also lesser by 50 k.
Can I buy my car in Chandigarh and then get it transported to Mumbai??
Considering my co. might pay for the transit, do you think I'll face any problem keeping a Chd. registration car in Mumbai or would I have to change the registration to MH anyway (and thus pay the extra RTO amount of Rs.50k) ??
nix' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 13:24   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nix,

Don't you think others would have already thought of it, and followed suit? To use a car (long-term) in Maharashtra, it is imperative for the registration to be local. The RTO has frequently clamped down on out-state cars being used by local residents. Some have even been seized; released only after paying a penalty.

If you intend to settle permanently in Mumbai, it is best for you to buy a MH registration Scorpio.

P.S: Good luck with the move. If you need any help, just ask. I am sure a lot of us Mumbaikars would be more than willing to assist.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 13:31   #3
BHPian

You can keep an outstation vehicle in another state maximum for a period of three months. That means even if you get your car outside Mumbai and get the toll tax slip no cop can do anything. Or else you are a govt. official and has been transfered to the state, in that case you can keep any registered vehicle anywhere.
CR-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 15:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

he Nix as GTO said,get the car from Mumbai only,as using another state registration will be alot hassel,all the more you will get caught at signals,routine check-naka's.Mumbai police is a bit-strict when it comes to number-plate.

How much is the price difference in chandigarah/Mumbai?
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 15:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its a risk, one of my ex-colleague kept his delhi reg car for 2-3 yrs without getting caught and on the other hand one car from the Company was transferred to a person entitled in mumbai from delhi and it got caught after 2 yrs, Company paid the penalty and got it released.

As per rules you have to pay RT even for CG empl or others like in defence services personal car but the rates are lesser/ different. But most of them get away by showing their ID's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
You can keep an outstation vehicle in another state maximum for a period of three months. That means even if you get your car outside Mumbai and get the toll tax slip no cop can do anything. Or else you are a govt. official and has been transfered to the state, in that case you can keep any registered vehicle anywhere.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 16:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
But most of them get away by showing their ID's.

thats what happens with me...

but i don't keep a car for years, my cars are always in rotation (6 months max). I keep exchanging cars from delhi to bombay. like I had octavia in mumbai, so than i got the crv here and shifted octavia back to delhi.
so that means i am not breaking any law.cheers:

CR-V
CR-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 18:04   #7

Thanks guys.
As of not I'll be taking my Swift there... Chandigarh registration... once there.. will decide either to keep my Swift (and get it changed to MH reg) or send it back home and buy a Scorpio.

Ramie.. the price difference is almost 90 K (approx 40k higher ex-showroom in Mumbai and RTO higher by 50k)
nix' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 15:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

there is one way out of this in case you are taking a transfer within the same company from one location to another.

you could buy the jeep in chandigarh and register it etc etc
then shift over to bombay with the vehicle
get your company to issue you a transfer letter transferring you to their branch or whatever in bombay - go and show your id and this letter to the bombay RTO and you can get away by not paying the higher road tax/ octroi etc because you are in a transferable job. the date of the letter should be AFTER the purchase date of your jeep though.
i have a colleague who actually did this when he moved from Hyderabad to Bangalore. He paid Rs 3000/- to have his car re-registered as it was a new one at the time.

the main idea being that you have no control over where your company decides to transfer you and therefore ought not to be made to pay all the extra charges of re-registration etc and life tax etc etc.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 16:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how that would work since apart from RTO, Octrai has to be paid to BMC as well.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 19:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

This is something I was not aware of, can you find out the details on how to get this done.

It will help quite a lot of ppl here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
get your company to issue you a transfer letter transferring you to their branch or whatever in bombay - go and show your id and this letter to the bombay RTO and you can get away by not paying the higher road tax/ octroi etc because you are in a transferable job. the date of the letter should be AFTER the purchase date of your jeep though.
i have a colleague who actually did this when he moved from Hyderabad to Bangalore. He paid Rs 3000/- to have his car re-registered as it was a new one at the time.

the main idea being that you have no control over where your company decides to transfer you and therefore ought not to be made to pay all the extra charges of re-registration etc and life tax etc etc.
Old 3rd June 2008, 13:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

I asked my colleague and this is what he told me.

His car was about a year old when he moved cities.

Once he joined our office in Bangalore, he got this letter from our HR Dept.

Went to the local RTO and showed them the letter as well as the actual date of joining etc etc.

By paying the charge of Rs 3000 he actually got his car transferred to this state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This is something I was not aware of, can you find out the details on how to get this done.

It will help quite a lot of ppl here.
Old 3rd June 2008, 14:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

IMHO this will not work for Mumbai.

As apart from RTO, tax (Octroi) needs to be paid to Municipality as well.

Is octroi applicable in BLR?
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:32   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not that I doubt your friend did this, but I honestly cant understand why the RTO would waive off their taxes for such cases. I mean, would the RTO really care that you are moving due to a job or marriage or whatever else?

And what companies do they accept a letter from? Any *pappu* can type a letter of transfer on his company letterhead and save taxes?!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 09:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

maybe it was a stray case because he used a tout at the RTO
however the objective has been achieved !
and indeed, he moved down to BLR from HYD as part of the same company and since he had just bought the car there a short time ago, I think even the RTO appreciated the fact, strange though it may seem!
And having just paid life tax in one state and registered a car, it is not really reasonable to expect a car owner to again pay life tax in another state because he got transferred there. And on checking again with him, he said he got an NOC from the HYD RTO and submitted that as well to the BLR RTO along with the company letter.
However, it is worth trying - if you succeed, you are the gainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not that I doubt your friend did this, but I honestly cant understand why the RTO would waive off their taxes for such cases. I mean, would the RTO really care that you are moving due to a job or marriage or whatever else?

And what companies do they accept a letter from? Any *pappu* can type a letter of transfer on his company letterhead and save taxes?!
Old 4th June 2008, 09:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think he is taking you for a ride, once you get an NOC your registration is cancelled and prorata tax refunded only to be registered in the moved state, ofcourse with all the taxes etc paid.

Quote:
And on checking again with him, he said he got an NOC from the HYD RTO and submitted that as well to the BLR RTO along with the company letter.
However, it is worth trying - if you succeed, you are the gainer