Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 20th July 2008, 08:51   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Aww darn. With the ingenio expected "before October" and the slew of BHPians seeing it all over, I was hoping for an early Bolero CRDe launch.

It seems it is not to be so courtesy the Pikup CNG launch.

Last edited by phamilyman : 20th July 2008 at 09:02.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 15:57   #92

Wow, that would really bring down running cost.

BTW is CNG available in any of the South Indian cities?
Rough Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 19:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
launch expected Mid August
Announcements etc

Actual test jeeps should be available at Dealerships end Aug

This is what Im told

thank you sir,

urgently need a good uv as a replacement for my old scorpio, i guess the crde bolero or the scorpio automatic would be the ideal choice.

Last edited by aadix : 21st July 2008 at 20:07.
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 20:43   #94

Hate to awake a sleeping thread, but this seems the best place for this question.

We're looking for a second car. As of now, we have a 1998 M800 that's just about covered 49K, most of it logged in and around Trivandrum city. Had it repainted and got the interiors done recently, as well as an Autocop remote locking and intrusion alarm. The car's in quite good shape.

Things were going fine until we decided to go on a 200km trip to my dad's place in Thodupuzha. It had been a while since we'd gone on a trip like that with more than two people. The car could not have felt more out of place on the roads. I could pass almost no other car, and the braking was soo bad. We also had a small smash-up with a Fusion that braked suddenly in front of us, and with that, the decision was made that this car was no longer suitable for anything other than grocery shopping in the city. Oh wait, actually it's not even good for that, there's barely room for even a month's supplies for 4 people. A replacement was inevitable.

I was considering any one of the small cars on the market, or one of the low-mid range sedans, like the Manza or the DZire. But then I wsa passing by the TVS Mahindra showroom and on a whim, decided to check out the Xylo, which I'd ridden in and found extremely comfy.

The sales guy told me that the Xylo was out of my range of 6 lakhs, but convinced me to take a look at the Bolero SLE, which was 5.98 lakhs on road. He insisted that until the roads got better, there was no point in investing in small cars, and more importantly, he said that considering how long we'd kept the 800, we were likely to keep this one longer, and that it would last longer on these roads.

I haven't got a TD yet, as all of the ones in stock were for delivery, but he assured me one in a couple of days.

I'm giving it some serious thought. What do you think guys? Having been used to an 800, I can do without the luxuries. Just need a good AC, good music system, and easy steering to be happy. This is a Jeep, and I've always wanted one since I was 4-5 years old, and getting around in Jeep taxis in Thodupuzha. What are the pros and cons for someone graduating from a small car?
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 21:37   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vivek,

I had a Bolero GLX 4WD. It was a wonderful car for the hills. You won't feel the jerk in Bolero. Once you go for TD after 800 you won't take back. Though little bit noisy it is one of the successful SUV next to Scorpio in Mahindra's group. Being in Chennai city I gave up SUV and went fore Ritz, The reason for Ritz tall boy is the high seat. I can't go for low seat of Swift or i20 after using Bolero.

Last edited by navan49 : 4th January 2010 at 21:38.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 21:37   #96

@ navan49: The GLX has a very different engine (XD3P IDI)and the 4WD has a live axle at front, not independent suspension, as I understand. So your experience with regard to the engine and ride is not really comparable. What I'd like to know is how it felt, size-wise. Is it manageable? I see tons of Government vehicles in and around the city, but they all have drivers. Anyway, I've decided not to take any decision until they give me a TD.

OT, I also had a look at the Trax Gama, and it's crap compared to the Bolero. Will cost 7 lakhs+ with AC and PS, I'll have to pay it all upfront, and wait for 2 months. I can get a Bolero VLX for that (7.2 lakhs OTR). I don't know how Force can continue to avoid the personal car market so blatantly. The dealer said that all they were selling was 'Cruiser' and 'Toofan'. The dealer's first reaction when I asked for somethng with AC and PS was to consider the Traveller!

Considering the rock solid build and reliability, they could sell a lot more if they'd come out with something that looks half as good as the Bolero. It's not like they don't have the R&D, look what they did to the Traveller. A similar makeover for the Trax range would completely shake up the UV market.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote