Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 21st May 2008, 23:15   #1
BHPian

Wink Chevrolet Captiva! Almost Finalised, need advise!

Hi all,

Well, its time now for my tuctuc to go out and bring in a new suv.

I was considering the A4 and 320d, but then found it too small for me, felt very claustrophobic in it! so thought will go for the Captiva now, and 3 yrs down, can plan for something bigger than the A4/320d

Now the waiting periods i hear is around 2-3 months, but spoke to the dealer, and says it could be done by first week of June on preferential basis...

So just want your reviews on it, and if any serious Cons / Any serious upcoming contender i have overlooked!

Following Upgrades will be done immediatly after buying:
1.The stock tire size is 235/60/17, and i plan to upgrade this to 275/55/17
3. Have not decided to change the Rims, as the oem rims are good looking, but will be quiet an "avoidable" expense! Tires i want to change coz the stocks are KUMHO!
2. Conical Filter with cold air intake pipe.
3. Studying on the UK Models as to how i can throw out the factory fitter stereo, and put in a new double din Pioneer dvd player. (this can be done, have to buy the double din OEM Frame, i have sourced it, but just wanna confirm where exactly it fits..in place of the existing stereo, or in place of the Driver Info screen! there is no way i am gonna disturb the driver info screen! )

Do let me know what u guys think about it !

Thanks.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 23:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice decision there mate !! But why would you tamper with the Stock tyres & Music System. Let it remain stock I feel. Is KUMHO that bad ??

Tampering with the HU will be tough I feel. Can't you put an extra DVD somehow ?

Conical filter would be nice.

I saw a Captiva the other day on the highway and it had good road presence. Looked better than the CRV IMO and it's a diesel.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 23:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

from the person who suggested you tucson over the endeavour:

go ahead rishan bhai!! nothing beats its street presence and comfort.
since u use it mostly in the cities or highways it's the best upgrade from the tucson.. which colour btw? my friend picked up one in black.. one amazing beast it looks.
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 23:48   #4
BHPian

Excellent choice mate.
I drove the car and its very good. awesome road presence.

PS: I also heard, it gives 13+kmpl in city conditions.
mezereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 00:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hello Devil

The Captiva one of the good cars to have come out of the GM India stable. The engine is quite good and powerful too. Plus its also a looker. You wont go wrong with it. Go right ahead and good luck.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 00:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

i just remembered.. saw a indipendent roof mounted dvd unit put up in a captiva.. the audio link to the main unit was given with a fm transmitter.. why not do up something similar? rather than changing the unit?

Last edited by aadix : 22nd May 2008 at 00:11.
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 07:27   #7
BHPian

Can you please post the details of your Tucson and the price you are getting for it? I love that vehicle, and would like to buy a pre-owned one some time (hopefully!)
arif_t01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 07:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratgs. This is a wondereful SUV. I have seen the one in GM showroom when I bought my Aveo. For me it resembled the Ford EDGE. Good road presence. The sales guys said the booking was closed for sometime since they had more booking that they can supply.
Btw, I heard that the Capitva will be assembled (currently it is imported as CBU) in India in their new plant shortly and the price would be around 16-17L. Although not sure of the exact dates, it was told to be August 08.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ID- Awesome decision. The Captiva in black looks neat. I agree with few members it looks kinda better than CRV on road. That too its a diesel .
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:36   #10
BHPian

hello guys! and thanks a million for ur inputs!

ok, so i did leave out a lil bit of details in the intro...

1. The color i am planning is either Silver or the Maroon. (really liked the maroon). The problem with black is, thou its looks great, I am fedup of the balck color on my Laura.! With me, its like, the car will keep getting scratches here and there always, and black looks ugly with it, and if not kept in shining condition! So out of the Silver and Maroon, i think the Maroon looks good as i prefer a dark color so that the future "chromings" that i am going to put on this will have an appeal against a darker color.

2. The OEM Audio system is great, but not for me! I want a proper Pioneer touchscreen DVD unit, which will pump out good music, proper full fledged display, also give me rear camera display, and good output to power it with the Amps and components!
Taking out the OEM Audio is not all that difficult, jus that u need a lil heart to do the deed! as i said earlier, i found a Double Din Frame for the captiva, but not sure where exactly it fits, so jus sorting it out at the moment.

3. @ MEZERO: There is no way the Captiva would give a mileage of 13kmpl in city, mate! trust me, The max i am expecting from th Captiva, it being a 2wd, is 9kmpl. My Tucson gives around 8 on my driving, and on good driving gives around 8.5kmpl. Figures like 13kmpl are not even imanginable in these vehicles. If u wud ask me what my dream mileage in this car wud be...realistically dreaming - 10kmpl! and thats it! no more!

4. @ AADIX: My friend, MAX Motors, did show me that fm transmiting dvd player, will think of it later!

Thanks all!
keep the comments coming on!
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your decision ID; I've been seeing quite a few Captiva of late & I do think it has good road presence, definitely more than the CRV & GV. Saw one zoom past the other day when I had pulled over to take a call, it looked good. Don't know why they didn't launch the AWD but then I guess you wouldn't need it much?

cheers:, wish you many miles of happy motoring. I think the Maroon would look super but watch out for the scratches - for that, Silver would be the best choice
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:35   #12
BHPian

see suman, thats the thing, i am just shuffling between these three color!

1. Black -- sure is great! but looks ugly if not maintained tiptop!
2. Maroon -- looks classy, in my eyes, but yea, the scratches will be lil evident...
3. Silver -- Silver i am 50|50. Not too keen, but sure looks good.

So yea, i am going for a second td now, as i want to show it to my wife. So lets see what i come up with! (secretly i hope i get pulled towards the black! will think of the maintenance later on! hehehe.)
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:49   #13
BHPian

i fu want diesel only, go for the captiva.

if u dont mind petrol, and u dont mind waiting, have a look at the outlander. it is petrol, automatic with paddle shift and 2.4 litre mivec petrol engine with almost full 4WD (no low gear ratios). it is expected in september.
BikerSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:10   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Good choice on the SUV, it's the best one around IMO in that price band atleast.

But comparing the A4/320d to this, they are totally different cars...if i were in your place i would have gone for the 523i if i was lookin for more space.

Nonetheless, the Captiva will save u tons of cash which could be put in good use,Pimp her up !
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:31   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hi all,

Well, its time now for my tuctuc to go out and bring in a new suv.

Following Upgrades will be done immediatly after buying:
2. Conical Filter with cold air intake pipe.
3. Studying on the UK Models as to how i can throw out the factory fitter stereo, and put in a new double din Pioneer dvd player. (this can be done,
Thanks.
Nice choice. Maroon wil be a nice choice and you talking about Pearl White?

The HU has remote integrated into the steering. Maybe you should also think of sourcing a kit for the Pio HU that you intend to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Hello Devil

The Captiva one of the good cars to have come out of the GM India stable. The engine is quite good and powerful too. Plus its also a looker. You wont go wrong with it. Go right ahead and good luck.
Its bascialy the same engine as in tuctuc right?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote