Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 20th July 2008, 16:06   #1
BHPian

Default Help needed to buy a SUV within 20 lacs!

Guys! I am looking to buy a diesel SUV within the next month for my dad.

The requirements are simple:
1. Should be diesel.
2. Should have a powerful engine.
3. Should be easy on the maintainence part.
4. Should cost within 20 lacs.

I really wish some japanese SUV's were available like the Fortuner but alas, only the Pajero is available, which i think is pretty long in the tooth for HM to be selling.

This is going to be a self driven vehicle, with most of the driving on either the NH-1 or really poor roads in Punjab.

I have test driven the Ford Endeavour Thunder & even though i don't need the 4-wheel drive, I prefer it to the regular one as it has more power & shoots forward as soon as you press the accelerator, with out any apparent turbo- lag. Plus my dad prefers powerful cars, so the more powerful, the better.

Negatives of the endeavour:
1. Poor suspension, I mean it really crashed into every pothole i drove into, but still held its line.
2.Poor cooling by the A/C.
3. The rear most seats are a joke.

I did try for a test drive of the Chevy Captiva at the GM showroom on Mathura road in Delhi, but to my surprise, they didn't have a test vehicle as the sales representative said it wasn't supplied by the company!!!
The Chevy's interiors were nicer than the Ford & it had a more car like feeling.

And when I asked, how in the world did they expect to sell such a vehicle with out a test drive, I was rudely answered that the BMW showroom next door, doesn't provide test drives & they still sell, so by the same logic, they will too.

I just decided to walk out of the the showroom, then & there only.

Imagine, comparing a GM-Daewoo, to a BMW. Besides, I wouldn't buy even a BMW, without a test drive.

Off Topic:- I have test driven both a Bimmer 7-series & a X3 in Delhi, both were bought to my home by the dealer to be test driven.

Then tried a Pajero, but besides the suspension, i didn't find any plus points in the vehicle. I meant every thing in the car, looks & feels so old.

So, this is my dilemma.

Should I wait for some thing else to be launched, like we have been hearing for so long of the eminent Toyota Fortuner launch?

I can postpone my purchase too. But what do I buy?

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 20th July 2008 at 16:07. Reason: Spell check
car_crazy1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 16:33   #2
BHPian

take a look at the hyundai tucson.really good car.on road and off it too.
indra_slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 16:43   #3
BHPian

I think the Hyundai Tucson has been discontinued!
Old 20th July 2008, 16:44   #4
Team-BHP Support

If you are not impressed with the captiva, only option is to wait for Outlander or Fortuner.
There is no other diesel SUV in your price bracket. Tuscon is discontinued and you will get an old piece, and no test drive either.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 17:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

the captiva is a very good choice buddy. dont underrate the car because of the negligence or behaviour of the salesperson. try an another GM showroom.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 18:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Outlander is due next month or so and I think it makes sense to consider that too. But I don't think it'll have a diesel option (not confirmed).
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 18:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I read outlander is going to be offered only with the MIVEC petrol engine atleast initially. Since you need diesel, looks like your only option now is the Daewoo Windstrom (Chevy Captiva).

Photo Gallery: 2009 Daewoo Windstorm Concept - WebRidesTV
4x4addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 18:18   #8
BHPian

I don't think the Outlander will come with a diesel engine. However, the Fortuner has been too long in the coming. I am really surprised that Toyota is continuing with their present line-up of vehicles till date , even as their market share is getting reduced.
The only vehicle that they really sell is the innova.

My father is suggesting that we buy an Innova instead (and buy a good SUV, 1.5- 2yrs down the line) as its much easier to drive & is a Toyota & should be reliable as our prior experience with a Qualis & a corolla has been quiet good.

But I personally feel that the Innova, though having a great ride & ease of driving, is a little underpowered & has too much of a taxi image.

And I am looking for a better vehicle for him than the Innova.

I have test driven the Tucson on earlier occasions & felt that it was a fairly good vehicle with a solid build quality, as far as hyundai vehicles go, but now that it has been discontinued (as per H.M.P), there is no use buying one, even if its available
Old 20th July 2008, 19:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the captiva is a very good choice buddy. dont underrate the car because of the negligence or behaviour of the salesperson. try an another GM showroom.
Try another GM showroom and take a TD of the Captiva. Yeah, it's a Daewoo with a Chevy bow tie, but it's a pretty good SUV. The Optra is a Daewoo in Chevy clothes too, but it's a good car.
Don't knock it till you try it
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 20:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
My father is suggesting that we buy an Innova instead (and buy a good SUV, 1.5- 2yrs down the line) as its much easier to drive & is a Toyota & should be reliable as our prior experience with a Qualis & a corolla has been quiet good.

But I personally feel that the Innova, though having a great ride & ease of driving, is a little underpowered & has too much of a taxi image.

And I am looking for a better vehicle for him than the Innova.
if you are looking at the fortuner, captiva or tucson, dont even bother about the innova. its clearly a segment below and wont enjoy the same image, class and respect as the other mentioned SUVs. moreover, the innova is not that fun to drive.
though being an innova owner, i agree its a superb MUV with loads of space and comfort. but when you can afford something in the range of 20 lakhs, why look at the innova?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 23:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Buy a Safari VX 4x2 since you dont need 4x4. Best space, comfort, features and power in the sub-20 lakh range. Interiors are lousy, but if you can live with it your requirements are met to a T with about 8 lakhs to spare. Think about it - 140 bhp, 320 nm, more space than any of the others that cost over twice the price, the best suspension on Indian roads, leather, ABS, Airbags, some gizmos like DVD player and screens, the best seats in the business - front or back, the best ground clearance at 205mm fully laden and the unmatched ability to fly over really bad roads at full throttle. An engine that has been in business for some time now with NO issues.

Last edited by Steeroid : 20th July 2008 at 23:41.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 00:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you totally car_crazy. NEVER buy a car without a TD.

I was actually waiting for the Captiva launch and finally got a TD in February, after waiting for weeks.

When I finally test drove the Captiva, I was disappointed.

1) The engine sound intruded into the cabin. Almost as much as my 3 year old Viva crdi.
2) It was a very average drive for me. Not exciting at all. The handling was all numb. The performance can best be described as adequate. Mainly..The car didnt feel like a 18 lac car..
3) The reat seats are TERRIBLE. They are very bench like and not comfortable to sit on.

Dont get me wrong. The Captiva is a great vehicle and like all others, has a set of pros & cons. In my opinion, its just that the cons in this case any not acceptable for a 18 lakh vehicle.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 00:51   #13
BHPian

Hey Steeroid! I would've bought a Tata safari if it weren't for my prior experience with tata vehicles, including the tata indica v2, the Indigo & the safari Dicor whose gear box just died suddenly died after travelling 60k kms , & later the suspension bottemed out, so Tata vehicles are a no-no.
Old 21st July 2008, 11:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Hey Steeroid! I would've bought a Tata safari if it weren't for my prior experience with tata vehicles, including the tata indica v2, the Indigo & the safari Dicor whose gear box just died suddenly died after travelling 60k kms , & later the suspension bottemed out, so Tata vehicles are a no-no.
To each, his own. My experiences have been completely to the contrary so I have no hesitation in recommending the vehicle. The damn thing seems to get better with age!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 13:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

With so many news coming in and so much expected to change in next 1 year in the very same SUV segment you are hitting on, I would suggest to go with your dads suggestion. But in Innova also a facelift is expected very soon. The spy pictures are out already. If you can afford to change the vehicle in 1 to 2 years and don't worry for resale price then go for the one you 'dislike' least. Otherwise wait for few more months.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote