Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2008, 12:51   #1
BHPian
 
arunjohnpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 36
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Need advice on 4x4 vehicle (pic)

I need some advice on getting a 4x4. I need access to an estate which has very poor approach roads. The road stretch is about 25km. It requires a hardcore 4x4 vehicle to crawl. Previsoulsy we were using Willys and now we are using a MM540 with Simpsons P4 engine with a 3+1 speed gearbox. I need access to this place twice a week. I have the following requirements:
- Hardcore offroading - practically rock climbing.
- average running of 500km a week
- some areas have bushes on both sides, so chances of side paint getting brushed off is very high.

I need your opinion on the following:
- purchase an old vehilce(if so, what vehicle? I have been thinking on MM540s, 550s, Classic, Bolero, Gypsy, Tata Safari, Pajero) and build it up totally. (tires, seats, disc brakes, may be ac)
- purchase a brand new vehicle(if so what? I have been thinking on M&M CJ Major, Bolero, Gypsy, Scorpio Getaway)
- Need review on home

Kindly advice on which type of vehicle I should look for. Low maintenance, atleast should be able to work anywhere, tires should fit in without any problem, etc.

Thanks n looking forward to keep bugging you with a lot of questions in the future too.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on 4x4 vehicle (pic)-dsc01543.jpg  

arunjohnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 13:15   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

I'd recommend a Bolero 4X4 SWB, or the Invader. Though you really cannot do better than the 540!!

The best off-roader, arguably, would be the Gurkha, but maintenence issues would be too much. M&M is well represented almost everywhere.

Pls do not consider the likes of Scorpio, Safari or the Getaway. These are SOFT-roaders.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 13:23   #3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default

Dude,

A nice gypsy king will do all the trick for you.

Get some nice big radials and alloys. Its lighter vehicle, can take any terrain, and easy to maintain.

Dont go for heavy diesels.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 13:43   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 411 Times
Default

U didnt tell your budget....surprisingly you are open to all 4x4s this side of 20 lakhs. Considering everything, i guess bolero 4x4 new would be good. Since it is not very expensive u will not mind if u scratch the bottom once or twice. Di turbo is good off road and has lot of grunt. With A/c with P/S and other goddies.

But if Hard core 4x4 is your word and budget not a restraint and u need a dual purpose vehicle for family as well as off road then you should look at Gurkha

Bolero is cheaper option but a compromise and will do most of the things that u throw at it. But if you do offroading, rockcrawling with one wheel in air often then Gurkha.

Used best alternative is MM540, but i think u already have one, hence will not make sence.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 13:43   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Dude,

A nice gypsy king will do all the trick for you.

Get some nice big radials and alloys. Its lighter vehicle, can take any terrain, and easy to maintain.

Dont go for heavy diesels.
I quite agree with this.
The only concern is the fuel bills. With indicated usage of 2000 kms per month, the Gypsy is not the best economically.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 14:10   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Having read your requirement and seen some of the other replies, I would also suggest a Bolero 4x4 SLX.
It will probably cost you about 7.2 to 7.4 on Road in TN State.
You ll have to order it by paying the advance and wait for them to manufacture one and then send it to you - I understand the waiting time would be about 2 months.
This is a very tough vehicle and in 4x4 mode can practically go anywhere. Its DI Turbo engine will give you plenty of low end torque for the kind of roads you need to traverse.
The Bolero DI Turbo, since it is an earlier generation Diesel engine, is also an economical vehicle to maintain and run and comes standard with a few creature comforts like AC, Power Steering etc.
Mahindra service is represented very widely and availability of trained techicians/ spares / ease of servicing etc is not a problem.
Since this vehicle is literally built for terrain such as that you have described, and yet does not cost the earth and the moon, you wont mind very much if the vehicle gets scratched a bit here and there during use. However, I would suggest a lighter colour choice over a darker one, because any scratches etc show much less on lighter colours.
In short, it would be the ideal choice for you.

All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunjohnpaul View Post
I need some advice on getting a 4x4. I need access to an estate which has very poor approach roads. The road stretch is about 25km. It requires a hardcore 4x4 vehicle to crawl. Previsoulsy we were using Willys and now we are using a MM540 with Simpsons P4 engine with a 3+1 speed gearbox. I need access to this place twice a week. I have the following requirements:
- Hardcore offroading - practically rock climbing.
- average running of 500km a week
- some areas have bushes on both sides, so chances of side paint getting brushed off is very high.

I need your opinion on the following:
- purchase an old vehilce(if so, what vehicle? I have been thinking on MM540s, 550s, Classic, Bolero, Gypsy, Tata Safari, Pajero) and build it up totally. (tires, seats, disc brakes, may be ac)
- purchase a brand new vehicle(if so what? I have been thinking on M&M CJ Major, Bolero, Gypsy, Scorpio Getaway)
- Need review on home

Kindly advice on which type of vehicle I should look for. Low maintenance, atleast should be able to work anywhere, tires should fit in without any problem, etc.

Thanks n looking forward to keep bugging you with a lot of questions in the future too.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 14:57   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default

Go for Gypsy King. It is a capable off roader. The fuel bills will be high, but the offroading capability is worth it. The relativley light body coupled with a good engine is a good combination.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 15:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default

Buy the Toyota Gypsy from delhi. Have heard/seen a couple of Gypsies where they put in a toyota diesel engine. They do the same with esteem as well.

some more gyani junta can give specific details but i'm sure you'd find something like this down south too!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 15:17   #9
BHPian
 
arunjohnpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 36
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks guys.... I too thought that all these SUVs were softcore offroaders.. now am convinced totally. Regarding my budget... currently the MM540 is used only to go up and down the hill which is about 30km and is driven by many people. Now I want a vehicle only for my driving. So I'l be doing like 130km on road + 30 km off road and back twice a week. So, I suppose, for pure offroading my budget would be about 3lacs (as in if I were to get a MM550 and work it or something like that and use it only for the hill) or can push it to the bolero level if I can use it for the entire journey and have as my own personal camping friend.
arunjohnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 16:15   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madurai
Posts: 1,006
Thanked: 645 Times
Default

Is your estate in Thandikudi? The place looks familiar.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 18:36   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

i would readily recommend a gypsy king, but thats if you intend to use it strictly off road. sadly, it is very poor on road with absolutely no comfort to talk about. i would suggest, avoid the scorpio or safari. if your budget permits, the best option would be a pajero. but if i were in your place, i would go for a bolero SLX 4x4, like the others!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 18:52   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,758
Thanked: 89,465 Times
Default

Either an MM540 / 550 or the Bolero 4x4 will suit your purpose just fine. Test-drive the Scorpio getaway too; it may just about fit the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
A nice gypsy king will do all the trick for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Go for Gypsy King. It is a capable off roader.
@ 2000 kms / month, a Gypsy will run his bank dry! If you drive it as you please, the Gypsy will give you 6 - 7 kpl. In hardcore offroading, the number can hover around 4 - 5 kpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Buy the Toyota Gypsy from delhi. Have heard/seen a couple of Gypsies where they put in a toyota diesel engine. They do the same with esteem as well.
Toyota-powered Gypsies with a working 4x4 are hard to come by. And I have my doubts on their overall reliability.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 00:46   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default

Hmm, very valid point GTO. A good parallel would be the dabwali jeeps. Smashing looking but 2WD only. That aspect I hadn't bothered to ask!! Reliablity I have no idea of.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 10:26   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Since you said there is already an MM540 being driven up and down by many people, maybe for your own "personal camping friend" as you have so nicely put it, you should consider the Bolero 4x4 as indicated.
This is comfortable on the road and off the road too and like I said earlier, has plenty of storage space in the back, some decent creature comforts too. All SLX models come with AC/ HEater/ Power Windows/ Hydraulic Power Steering and some other goodies inside.
One modification you could consider doing to the Bolero is to talk to a local garage / upholstery/ seat specialist once you buy it and have them make the rear seat into a foldable one - then you can literally take your house along with you if you are travelling long distance or for long periods - tents, fishing rods,camping gear etc will be absolutely no issue!
And once you are inside that jeep, doesnt really matter what sort of weather is raging outside - it is a nice, secure, cosy place inside, where you are protected and yet feel confident to drive through!
Ideal choice for you IMO


Quote:
Originally Posted by arunjohnpaul View Post
Thanks guys.... I too thought that all these SUVs were softcore offroaders.. now am convinced totally. Regarding my budget... currently the MM540 is used only to go up and down the hill which is about 30km and is driven by many people. Now I want a vehicle only for my driving. So I'l be doing like 130km on road + 30 km off road and back twice a week. So, I suppose, for pure offroading my budget would be about 3lacs (as in if I were to get a MM550 and work it or something like that and use it only for the hill) or can push it to the bolero level if I can use it for the entire journey and have as my own personal camping friend.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 12:18   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

The Bolero 4x4 is offered with the DI Turbo? I thought it comes with the XD3P.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice:MM 550 BA 10 : 4x4 gear box direct Shift. swastikviji 4x4 Technical 53 21st July 2012 20:30
Need good advice/lawyer related to Motor vehicle accident - DELHI alpha1 Shifting gears 12 22nd July 2010 22:57
What is the procedure for making a Taxi quoto vehicle to a Private vehicle? Pani The Indian Car Scene 1 12th January 2009 13:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks