Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 11:03   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,886
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
mixed reactions?? only 2 owners have reported some issues with it!!

after owning a non-crde for 6 years & a crde for 3 years & mHawk for 7 months & a cummultive driving of almost 3 lakhs kms, i am capable enough to tell you that scorpios are very reliable.



i would suggest you the scorpio as the comfort levels are more in the scorpio than the bolero.
Wow, Die Hard Scorpio Fan.. 3 versions of the same vehicle...I must say, you are damn impressed with this vehicle...

I have been exploring a scorpio AT v/s Japs Cars AT, but was getting cold feet over scorpio after reading reviews here.... Though havent read any negative on the Japs products (Corolla/City/Civic) (Purely product point of view)

Would like to get more inputs from you... Can you pls PM me ur number ?? As I need to make a decision on the vehicle (pending for a long time now)..
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 11:09   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
ramkya1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Palakkad, Keral
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 362 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Wow, Die Hard Scorpio Fan.. 3 versions of the same vehicle...I must say, you are damn impressed with this vehicle...

I have been exploring a scorpio AT v/s Japs Cars AT, but was getting cold feet over scorpio after reading reviews here.... Though havent read any negative on the Japs products (Corolla/City/Civic) (Purely product point of view)

Would like to get more inputs from you... Can you pls PM me ur number ?? As I need to make a decision on the vehicle (pending for a long time now)..
While on the point.....

3 days back, a close friend wanted me to TD a Corolla ALTIS AT, did that for him, he has bought the car, a shining red beauty.

Was highly impressed with the car, would be worth-while checking it out, but its a different animal.

------
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 12:00   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

It must be a case of sour grapes for your friend. I remember, many many years ago when I got a bullet for my self, most of my friends who had either Jawa or Rajdoot M/cycle told me that Bullet was a white elephant and would bankrupt me in no time.

That was the day and it is today I still have the Bullet having ridden 2.5 L kms without an engine overhaul.

I've owned Scorpio for 2+ years and apart from regular service and timely change of fan belts etc., haven't incurred any major expenditure.

You've been misguided...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Scorpio: Less on Maintenance?

Apart from Electronic Gizmos, there are lots of stuff from Scorpio which keep failing.. A friend dealer told me that it is very expensive to maintain...as every now and then some or the other part is giving problem...

Though there are mixed reactions of the same here on TBHP.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 12:56   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,886
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
While on the point.....

3 days back, a close friend wanted me to TD a Corolla ALTIS AT, did that for him, he has bought the car, a shining red beauty.

Was highly impressed with the car, would be worth-while checking it out, but its a different animal.

------
Yeah, it wud be...but my first preference would be to go for an SUV. Thanks to the roads in my area and for some country drives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I've owned Scorpio for 2+ years and apart from regular service and timely change of fan belts etc., haven't incurred any major expenditure.

You've been misguided...
The point is that
1. First person owns a Mahindra Auth Service Center in Mumbai and I have spoken to the service engineers there as well.
2. The other person owns spare parts shop in Mumbai.

They both share the view of high on maintenance. However, owners say otherwise (on TBHP and my friends)
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 13:10   #50
BHPian
 
mmmjgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BOM, PNQ, DXB
Posts: 398
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Yeah, it wud be...but my first preference would be to go for an SUV. Thanks to the roads in my area and for some country drives...



The point is that
1. First person owns a Mahindra Auth Service Center in Mumbai and I have spoken to the service engineers there as well.
2. The other person owns spare parts shop in Mumbai.

They both share the view of high on maintenance. However, owners say otherwise (on TBHP and my friends)
Having 2 scorpios in the family (extended family ) and each done in excess of 1.5 lakh kms believe you me, if regular & routine maintenance taken care of, it is the most cost effective SUV in the market. I will not compare it to an MUV which is the Innova & now the Xylo. Both these vehicles handle well and drive well, for the rural applications they are used for.

Mile for mile you will agree that the Scorpio is the best rural vehicle you can find, it will yet work better than an Innova which is configured for highway/city roads which on an average are better maintained than rural roads.

A spare part shop owner may compare it to a maruti hatch or any other equivalent vehicle, here is where its higher in maintenance costs in comparision.

However how many vehicles can you take across the country (Pan India drive such as the 6 day GQ trip) without a suspension overhaul post the journey ?

I've taken an Esteem to Gujarat, Maharashtra and back, I needed a suspension overhaul. (pre GQ days).

In comparision it will be more per km, however consider the utility of a vehicle like a scorpio, if given a choice to own a scorpio as a vehicle to die with, i'd choose it in a blink.

Cheers
M M
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 17:02   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Wow, Die Hard Scorpio Fan.. 3 versions of the same vehicle...I must say, you are damn impressed with this vehicle...

I have been exploring a scorpio AT v/s Japs Cars AT, but was getting cold feet over scorpio after reading reviews here.... Though havent read any negative on the Japs products (Corolla/City/Civic) (Purely product point of view)

Would like to get more inputs from you... Can you pls PM me ur number ?? As I need to make a decision on the vehicle (pending for a long time now)..
i have not sold any till now! that is not because i am a scorpio fan (of course i am, this vehicle made me its fan!) but its because it has not given me any reason to sell it, no complaints, break downs or maintainence... no rattling or squeaking. of course, we do follow the regular services at mahindra A.S.S ONLY, which is mandatory. the non-crde's efficiency is down by 1 kmpl now but it still performs the way it used to do when new... enthusiastic!

you cant really compare the mahindras to the japs. when compared head on, you will find the scorpio "CRUDE"! but it has the build quality & toughness which the japs dont have. that is the mahindra's charm. if you can digest the poor plastics or bouncy suspension, you can go for the scorpio AT because nobody messes with an SUV on the road! but dont expect it to handle the way the corolla does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Yeah, it wud be...but my first preference would be to go for an SUV. Thanks to the roads in my area and for some country drives...

The point is that
1. First person owns a Mahindra Auth Service Center in Mumbai and I have spoken to the service engineers there as well.
2. The other person owns spare parts shop in Mumbai.

They both share the view of high on maintenance. However, owners say otherwise (on TBHP and my friends)
that is because owners will compare it to a safari or tavera. but shop owners will compare it to say, a corolla or civic.
and you may be aware that scorpio's spares are much cheaper than honda or toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
In comparision it will be more per km, however consider the utility of a vehicle like a scorpio, if given a choice to own a scorpio as a vehicle to die with, i'd choose it in a blink.

Cheers
M M
WOW man, thats a BIG statement.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 17:15   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,886
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

Mile for mile you will agree that the Scorpio is the best rural vehicle you can find, it will yet work better than an Innova which is configured for highway/city roads which on an average are better maintained than rural roads.


In comparision it will be more per km, however consider the utility of a vehicle like a scorpio, if given a choice to own a scorpio as a vehicle to die with, i'd choose it in a blink.

Cheers
M M
Great to hear your experiences from Scorpio.

When compared neck to neck with Innova (or other Japanese or similar quality brands) on the same city roads for extensive usage, does it give a fighting finish ?

I would like to have the vehicle totally hassle free...buy it forget it...even if you dont get serviced, its okay...it wont fail....but performance will let u know that its better to get it serviced ?

I may be asking too many annoying questions (cud be same questions rephrasing), but am asking since I am 100% sure that I will get the best responses here on TBHP.

One more reason is, I am asking myself, shud I buy Scorpio AT at 11.15 L OTR or wait for Fortuner to come (which finally is coming) and buy it.. For Fortuner, I know I Cannot go wrong..

Last edited by tanwaramit : 6th February 2009 at 17:19. Reason: Edited after comments from raj_5004
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 17:22   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Great to hear your experiences from Scorpio.

When compared neck to neck with Innova (or other Japanese or similar quality brands) on the same city roads for extensive usage, does it give a fighting finish ?

I would like to have the vehicle totally hassle free...buy it forget it...even if you dont get serviced, its okay...it wont fail....but performance will let u know that its better to get it serviced ?

I may be asking too many annoying questions (cud be same questions rephrasing), but am asking since I am 100% sure that I will get the best responses here on TBHP.

One more reason is, I am asking myself, shud I buy Scorpio AT at 11.15 L OTR or wait for Fortuner to come (which finally is coming) and buy it.. For Fortuner, I know I Cannot go wrong..
if we compare the scorpio to innova, its futile.
scorpios are reliable but not 'utterly' reliable like the innova. you cannot buy a scorpio or even an innova for that matter & forget it. you have to do the regular maintainence in every car.

if this rule is kept in mind, the scorpio wont give you any trouble. very rarely anything major fails in a scorpio, so no issues with that. however, if you are most keen on reliability, innova is the way to go. that said, it cannot handle rough roads the way scorpio does!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 17:31   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,886
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
if we compare the scorpio to innova, its futile.
scorpios are reliable but not 'utterly' reliable like the innova. you cannot buy a scorpio or even an innova for that matter & forget it. you have to do the regular maintainence in every car.

if this rule is kept in mind, the scorpio wont give you any trouble. very rarely anything major fails in a scorpio, so no issues with that. however, if you are most keen on reliability, innova is the way to go. that said, it cannot handle rough roads the way scorpio does!

Thanks for your response raj_5004. I got a number of a person who has bought Scorpio AT. Will check with him and update here .(if needed)
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 17:40   #55
SBR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Hi Ramkya1, Shankar Balan,

Thanks for your inputs. Will check the vehicle accordingly and update.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 20:30   #56
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3
Thanked: Once
Default Buying a used Scorpio, suggestions reqd

Friends, I plan to purchase a Mahindra Scorpio model 2006, done 70000 kms. Its gonna cost me around 4.5 L. Looks quite well maintained...is the vehicle worth going for at this cost, pls suggest?
sunil_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 13:50   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

what??? be careful. a 2006 model scorpio SLX in good condition will sell for 6-6.5 lakhs now. if its a scorpio DX, then it will go for 5.5-6 lakhs, 5-5.5 lakhs for a scorpio LX.

i feel something fishy if the owner is asking as low as 4.5 lakhs. inspect the car PROPERLY, check for any accidental signs. take a mechanic along. take the car to a mahindra A.S.S & get it checked. if you are sure, that is car is in good condition, then as you can see, the owner seems to be ignorant which is good for you, it is a great deal!

about the car, buy it if you drive yourself. you will enjoy it tremendously. its a fairly reliable vehicle, wont give you any major issues. build quality is good too.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 18th May 2009 at 13:52.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:40   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Hi folks,

Really need your comments on this one. In brief -
1. Wanted to upgrade from my hatchback (own an indica and santro)
2. Checked out the new scorpio Mhawk, LX retails at 8.23 Mumbai
3. Spoke to my ex boss (Have worked with him for 3+ years, Sr. VP with a telecom major) as he had a scorpio.
4. He owned one in 2003, changed to a Scorpio 2.6 CRDE DX in Sep 2005 and that is the 60th Anniversary edition with 60 month warranty
5. He said 'Why do you want to buy a new one, be comfortable with a used SUV for a couple of years, if you like it, buy new later'
6. He indicated he wanted to sell his car, although he said that would be entirely my choice
7. Checked the car, looks amazing, drives amazing.
8. Facts: Run 52000 Kms, driven by himself and his wife
9. Showed the car to my garage, guy said it's fine, go ahead
10. Spoke to NBS and Sai Service from where he has serviced his car, the following service is history is what I could gather.
11. Closed the deal at 4.25 L, paid him 3 now and since he does not want to foreclose his loan (avoid penalty), I have given him PDCs of the remaining amount. Loan would close in Aug 2010. He also would renew insurance in September and said it will help me as he has a 40% NCB on it.
I trust him and vice a versa, so we have made an email agreement laying out the terms as mentioned above.
12. Am loving the car, got it detailed and the experience has been nice so far

Would like your views on the service details and our commercial arrangement as attached. The car is still under warranty for Engine, differential and gearbox.

Any help from the gurus is highly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Scorpio.xls (16.0 KB, 490 views)
shekharlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:06   #59
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,530
Thanked: 4,681 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I really suggest buy brand new Safari Lx or Ex the reason Safari is much worth than scorpio for highway. For city use Scorpio is better than Safari.

I suggest try Popular automatch near Yeshwantpur, I have seen couple of Scorpio there, you can try at first choice as well.

Regards,

Ravi.
Most second hand Safaris and Scorpios are chauffeur driven ones and need to be checked for suspension, engine and gearbox damages. The tyres if older will reveal the suspension history. The engine needs to be thoroughly checked for abuse and so the gearbox. Repairs and replacement are very prohibitively costly.
The sellers focus on the fact that they are using the SUV for 3 years to get tax benefits and then they coolly sell it off as a good riddance.
As buyers we must be extra careful.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:08   #60
BHPian
 
Speed-Gladiator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore, Tiruvalla
Posts: 79
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Hello Friends, I have got an offer for a Used Scorpio Turbo 2.6 (2005 Nov) 78K kms done, Base version without side cladding, for 3.9 Lakh. And a 2.6 Turbo GLX (2004 July) 80k KMS done for 4.5L. which one should I go for . Please suggest. Both the vehicles are at Kerala.
How to can I easily check whether the vechile is accident free or not?. Any particular way of checking the suspension with out taking to the garage?

Thanks
Speed-Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW Maintenance Packages - Buying New BMW Cheaper Than Buying Used? smartcat The Indian Car Scene 76 1st December 2017 09:06
Buying a Used Car - Safari DiCOR LX or Scorpio CRDe DX ~ H O N D A ~ SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 9 31st January 2008 10:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks