Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 12th January 2009, 15:34   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Rao View Post
sorry, it is the 2007 sept model and the tyres are all new. at the time of the accident i had done ony around 2.7 to 3 k kms. one week before the journey, i had replaced the tyre air with nitrogen. could have been the reason.
Though there is no sure way to find but the culprit could be faulty pressure gauge at Nitrogen filling station.

I fill normal free air but I have observed pressure gauges at Air filling stations are seldom accurate once one of my tyre was filled to 47 and other to 30 , To check again I filled again at same petrol pump and measured this time again the pressure in all 4 tyres was different though the pump guy had set correctly before my eyes.
So I am extra cautious now. I would urge all vehicle owners to invest in a good quality mechanical pressure gauge after hearing this incidence.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 15:44   #137
Senior - BHPian

I cannot agree more with Amit. Please ensure to have the air pressure filled regularly at a fuel station which has minimal aberration in its equipment.

Yesterday, I was driving at 80+ speeds and suddenly the two wheeler ahead of me onto my left felt he should shake a leg This guy with his pillion(guy only) suddenly came to the right and fell back in line again!

I was like standing on my brakes while swerving the car to right(had an fully loaded auto in the oncoming direction) and back to the left lane.
The car came to stop in a perfect straight line!! did not budge or trail even for a milli second.
Got down from the car caught the biker and his friend was in full mood to dress them down!! But the biker is a 40+ aged guy and was profusely apologising!! The reason for his sudden right swing and back was because he had to scratch his **lls!! I told him that except for his age I would have had them blasted on the spot!!
Now coming to the car, I was thoroughly impressed!! I would not have come out without either hitting the auto in the opp direction(the auto driver stopped and all got out thinking that I would be rolling off the road!) or doing a roller coaster in my earlier CRde SLX!! ABS in mHawk works and works WELL!! The Scorpio definetly has good steer balances in place. The suspensions work well and does not throw you out!!
Good show M&M, please provide ABS and Airbags(too) as standard on all models! It is worth the cost!!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 16:41   #138
BHPian

Woah!!!! That must have been scary surya!!! For you as well as people looking at the car from outside.

And man your profile pic is cool , one of the best angles for making the beauty look more beautiful!!!

Cheers

Ramesh
ram.west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 17:09   #139
Senior - BHPian

It is real difficult to find the pumps which have accurate gauges. I once got air filled where the the gauge showed 32 after filling (all tyres) but the TPMS had different ratings ranging from 28 to 37.

Good driving & braking getsurya, time and again the brakes and the ABS in the VLX prove themselves & are worth paying for.

And yes I agree airbags are a must.

M&M are you listening ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I cannot agree more with Amit. Please ensure to have the air pressure filled regularly at a fuel station which has minimal aberration in its equipment.

Yesterday, I was driving at 80+ speeds and suddenly the two wheeler ahead of me onto my left felt he should shake a leg This guy with his pillion(guy only) suddenly came to the right and fell back in line again!

I was like standing on my brakes while swerving the car to right(had an fully loaded auto in the oncoming direction) and back to the left lane.
The car came to stop in a perfect straight line!! did not budge or trail even for a milli second.
Got down from the car caught the biker and his friend was in full mood to dress them down!! But the biker is a 40+ aged guy and was profusely apologising!! The reason for his sudden right swing and back was because he had to scratch his **lls!! I told him that except for his age I would have had them blasted on the spot!!
Now coming to the car, I was thoroughly impressed!! I would not have come out without either hitting the auto in the opp direction(the auto driver stopped and all got out thinking that I would be rolling off the road!) or doing a roller coaster in my earlier CRde SLX!! ABS in mHawk works and works WELL!! The Scorpio definetly has good steer balances in place. The suspensions work well and does not throw you out!!
Good show M&M, please provide ABS and Airbags(too) as standard on all models! It is worth the cost!!
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 18:15   #140

no, i was not on any hilly track. i was on the bypass road of Kolar coming on NH. (Bangalore - Chennai). This is a bund road raised to about 20 ft from the ground level. Luckily for us, on that day the truckers were on strike and there was not a single oncoming / following vehicle. The road was clear. I am still trying to replay those moments to find out what went wrong but i am not able to find out any driver faults because..

1. There was not much speed. i was fully in control of the veh.
2. There was no traffic.
3. The veh was new. had done less than 3k kms.
4. I am not the one who gets distracted while driving. Especially while driving this beast.
JK Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 09:35   #141
Senior - BHPian

Ram, thanks for your compliments. Everybody on the road stopped and were looking if I was going to do turtles like in movies... I did not, thankfully!

The tyre marks on the road were awesome!!burnt rubber you see!

Regarding the profile pics, I have starting lending an 'photographers eye' to my car after joining TBHP!!

Mupreti,
On the TPMs reading would always vary with the pump readings. Find the right aberration and discount that to keep track of correct air pressure. For ex. If the pump reading says 32 psi, TPMS might show 31 or 30 PSI. My observations!!
ABS does work,i now vouch for it. I agree airbags is a big MISS!!

Last edited by getsurya : 13th January 2009 at 09:37.
Old 13th January 2009, 11:15   #142
Senior - BHPian

Hi JK Rao,

That's what I was wondering, 70 is not that high a speed.

Probably the high CG of the vehicle is to be blamed, but that is true for all SUV's & we have to learn to live with it.

My father had a govt issue Land Rover & while driving through the semi pukka road through the Corbett Park (this is now a tarred road) and suddenly a heard of elephants decide to cross the road, the driver tried to get off the road to let them pass, the moment both the right wheels came off the road, the vehicle just turned turtle, the speed would have been around 40.

The damage, the front windshield popped out..and lay on the grass unbroken, and a few minor bruises to the occupants.

A tractor was organised from a nearby village to upright the car, and soon they were on their way, the wind shield tied using some ropes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Rao View Post
no, i was not on any hilly track. i was on the bypass road of Kolar coming on NH. (Bangalore - Chennai). This is a bund road raised to about 20 ft from the ground level. Luckily for us, on that day the truckers were on strike and there was not a single oncoming / following vehicle. The road was clear. I am still trying to replay those moments to find out what went wrong but i am not able to find out any driver faults because..

1. There was not much speed. i was fully in control of the veh.
2. There was no traffic.
3. The veh was new. had done less than 3k kms.
4. I am not the one who gets distracted while driving. Especially while driving this beast.
Old 13th January 2009, 13:00   #143
BHPian

Default Trouble with New Scorpio

Hi everyone,

I recently bought (Nov 2008) a 2.6 Crde base model scorpio in delhi. Since then I have done about 3200 kms till date.

Due to work ive been out of the city for about 4-5 weeks between november and now. The car in the meanwhile is being used by my sister and her family.

I got a call yesterday from the driver saying that some smoke was coming from the underneath the car, since i wasnt in delhi i asked him to call the dealership helpline and they sent their mechanice.
After having a look he said it was due to the new clutch plate and was common in new scorpios.

Anyway ive been on the phone with the driver all day today, hes been driving the scorpio and says there is no problem now.

I just wanted to know from fellow scorpio owners here, if anyone has ever encountered such a problem, or heard of this kind of an issue.

Unfortunately im not in delhi so am freaking out a bit.

cheers for your inputs

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 13:16   #144
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Never heard of such an issue, let me check with my A.S.S. guys, after I meet them today , more likely tomorrow I will update you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently bought (Nov 2008) a 2.6 Crde base model scorpio in delhi. Since then I have done about 3200 kms till date.

Due to work ive been out of the city for about 4-5 weeks between november and now. The car in the meanwhile is being used by my sister and her family.

I got a call yesterday from the driver saying that some smoke was coming from the underneath the car, since i wasnt in delhi i asked him to call the dealership helpline and they sent their mechanice.
After having a look he said it was due to the new clutch plate and was common in new scorpios.

Anyway ive been on the phone with the driver all day today, hes been driving the scorpio and says there is no problem now.

I just wanted to know from fellow scorpio owners here, if anyone has ever encountered such a problem, or heard of this kind of an issue.

Unfortunately im not in delhi so am freaking out a bit.

cheers for your inputs

Kundan
Old 16th January 2009, 14:56   #145
BHPian

fellow scorpers,
My truck is braking like an old ambassador. Took it to the asc for the 25k service .at delivery the nimcompoop tells me that the brake pads are shot, and need to be replaced in 2k kms.
Isnt 25k too early for brake pad wear?
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 15:04   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Not really, Prabhu. If you are suspicious, you should be present when the pads are removed and have a look at them yourself.
You can easily seek a second opinion too.
Brake pads wear is so very dependent on driving style it is not possible to generalize on a mileage.
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 15:12   #147
BHPian

Aha, I suspected as much. My driver has been getting a little too leadfooted theses days. That explains it :(
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 10:56   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi, Never heard of such an issue, let me check with my A.S.S. guys, after I meet them today , more likely tomorrow I will update you.

thanks m_upreti, i look forward to your feedback. i should be back in delhi next week, looking forward to checking out the vehilce myself.
thanks

K
Ksingh544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 19:24   #149
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Not really, 20k and my swift's brakepads are shot.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 09:12   #150
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I would be giving my mHawk for second (10000+km) servicing tomorrow. Any helpful hints to keep on mind other than the regular checks?? Please let me know!!