Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 31st January 2009, 09:00   #151
Senior - BHPian

@getSURYA - my suggestions:

1.get battery checked properly and topped up despite it being a Maintenance Free
2. Have all 4 Window winder channels cleaned by removing the door panels as dust tends to clog them a bit
3.have the space between cladding and body checked and cleaned if possible
4.clutch pedal bush sometimes squeaks a bit - have it checked/ replaced
5. headlamp focussing is reqd if you drive it a lot - better to do this once every service
6. please rotate all wheels -and please bring the spare into play for even wear and tear.
7. DEFINITELY get the wheel balancing and alignment done at 10000 km plus ensure the steering wheel is set absolutely straight.
8. a good rub and polish job on the paintwork will ensure the vehicle looks as good as new
9. I also always try to ensure that the brake pads and discs etc are properly cleaned with the wheels taken off and then mount the wheels back - you'd be surprised how much muck ends up lurking there.
10. check the differential gear box below the rear of the vehicle for a leaky gasket if any.- tell tale oil stains will give you an indication.
11. AC Blower unit can be vaccuum cleaned - tends to collect a lot of dust.
12.lastly if you wish, have all the tyres taken off the rims and their direction reversed, for excellent, even, wear and tear (since these are not uni-directional tyres you will benefit by this). ALso this way, you get a chance to have the inner part of the rims cleaned thoroughly preventing rust and dirt build up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Guys,

I would be giving my mHawk for second (10000+km) servicing tomorrow. Any helpful hints to keep on mind other than the regular checks?? Please let me know!!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 31st January 2009 at 09:11.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 09:10   #152
Senior - BHPian

Hey SinghisKING!!!
your driver doesnt appear to be a first class driver IMO

too much "riding the clutch" in the normal bumper to bumper traffic can cause this.

ALso if he has a habit of taking off in higher gears by revving the engine for more power and then releasing the clutch, being lazy to downshift to first when he comes to a dead halt, can result in clutch burning.

also tell him to be gentle when putting on the handbrake - most drivers tend to yank the handbrake up when this is absolutely not necessary.

also prevent him from putting the vehicle gearshift in neutral when approaching a traffic light and using the brakes to halt the car - this will cause the brakes to wear out- always better to use the braking effect of the gears themselves while slowing down. When he halts at the traffic light, tell him to put the vehicle in neutral and foot OFF the clutch! Only when the light changes in his favour should he press the clutch, move to First gear and slowly move off. Most drivers tend to keep the vehicle in gear - either first or second with the clutch depressed, then rev the engine and take off, the minute the light changes - all this causes highly avoidable wear and tear.

clutch release also should not be too jerky and sudden - they need to learn gentleness.

these drivers need to understand how to treat and look after a vehicle properly - so watch the feller!

And IMO BESTEST would be NEVER to give the vehicle to any driver/ valet etc but ONLY drive it yourself - no one can appreciate the value of a vehicle as well as the man who has bought and paid for it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently bought (Nov 2008) a 2.6 Crde base model scorpio in delhi. Since then I have done about 3200 kms till date.

Due to work ive been out of the city for about 4-5 weeks between november and now. The car in the meanwhile is being used by my sister and her family.

I got a call yesterday from the driver saying that some smoke was coming from the underneath the car, since i wasnt in delhi i asked him to call the dealership helpline and they sent their mechanice.
After having a look he said it was due to the new clutch plate and was common in new scorpios.

Anyway ive been on the phone with the driver all day today, hes been driving the scorpio and says there is no problem now.

I just wanted to know from fellow scorpio owners here, if anyone has ever encountered such a problem, or heard of this kind of an issue.

Unfortunately im not in delhi so am freaking out a bit.

cheers for your inputs

Kundan

Last edited by shankar.balan : 31st January 2009 at 09:12.
Old 31st January 2009, 11:21   #153
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the useful inputs Shankar.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@getSURYA - my suggestions:

1.get battery checked properly and topped up despite it being a Maintenance Free
2. Have all 4 Window winder channels cleaned by removing the door panels as dust tends to clog them a bit
3.have the space between cladding and body checked and cleaned if possible
4.clutch pedal bush sometimes squeaks a bit - have it checked/ replaced
5. headlamp focussing is reqd if you drive it a lot - better to do this once every service
6. please rotate all wheels -and please bring the spare into play for even wear and tear.
7. DEFINITELY get the wheel balancing and alignment done at 10000 km plus ensure the steering wheel is set absolutely straight.
8. a good rub and polish job on the paintwork will ensure the vehicle looks as good as new
9. I also always try to ensure that the brake pads and discs etc are properly cleaned with the wheels taken off and then mount the wheels back - you'd be surprised how much muck ends up lurking there.
10. check the differential gear box below the rear of the vehicle for a leaky gasket if any.- tell tale oil stains will give you an indication.
11. AC Blower unit can be vaccuum cleaned - tends to collect a lot of dust.
12.lastly if you wish, have all the tyres taken off the rims and their direction reversed, for excellent, even, wear and tear (since these are not uni-directional tyres you will benefit by this). ALso this way, you get a chance to have the inner part of the rims cleaned thoroughly preventing rust and dirt build up.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 10:53   #154
BHPian

20000 km service
Other than regular stuff, anything else to be noted.
I am leaving for service at SM Workshop in Mahadevpura near whitefield in bangalore
Anything to be careful of with the service center?
Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 23:21   #155
BHPian

Today morning there was a huge traffic jam entry point to Lajpat nagar flyover going from Ashram side. The reason was a Scorpio Crde stuck in the middle . The rear LHS wheel was struck in the wheel well diagonally across.The owner seemed to be an old person waiting for the help. What could be the probable reason?

Couldn't take pictures as the reaction time was very less due to huge traffic.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 23:39   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Today morning there was a huge traffic jam entry point to Lajpat nagar flyover going from Ashram side. The reason was a Scorpio Crde stuck in the middle . The rear LHS wheel was struck in the wheel well diagonally across.The owner seemed to be an old person waiting for the help. What could be the probable reason?

Couldn't take pictures as the reaction time was very less due to huge traffic.
He broke his rear axle? My god.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 17:14   #157
BHPian

Scorpio friends,

How is your AC during summer and in general?
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 19:09   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Scorpio friends,

Delhi has been hitting 44C temps!

I'm finding the cooling to be good, though not freezing.
No tints/films on any of the glasses on my Scorpio.

On highway runs blower setting 2 is OK and in city runs need to go to 3 at times.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 20:36   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Delhi has been hitting 44C temps!

I'm finding the cooling to be good, though not freezing.
No tints/films on any of the glasses on my Scorpio.

On highway runs blower setting 2 is OK and in city runs need to go to 3 at times.
Anup I would suggest some mid range, premium sunfilm, as that saves a lot of energy.

Quote:
Scorpio friends,

Here it touched 48 degrees Celsius a fortnight back. Its still in the region of 45 to 46 degrees Celsius now. My Scorpio keeps me cool, though taking a bit longer to get to the 22 or 23 degrees Celsius I want it to !
But have no complaints about the AC. After all its only a month old.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 20:56   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Anup I would suggest some mid range, premium sunfilm, as that saves a lot of energy.
You're right of course, Anjan.
The problem is all mine!
I'm SUCH a stickler for STOCK!
Cannot even bear the window beadings being pulled out for install of the films!

There are NO rattles currently. What if ....!!!!

Last edited by anupmathur : 29th May 2009 at 20:57.
Old 30th May 2009, 16:15   #161
Senior - BHPian

AC is very effective, even though Navi Mumbai is not as hot as Delhi (I still miss the heat).I Low AC on 3 is more than enough to chill the occupants.
Quote:
Scorpio friends,

m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 17:50   #162
Senior - BHPian

my ac is extremely effective - of course Bangalore is not that hot even in peak summer but whenever I ve driven to Tamil Nadu - Chennai etc, I ve never seen any reason to grumble about the quality of my AC.
However, the 2008 model scorp doesnt frankly have the best vents - the earlier ones were better and thankfully theyve reverted to those in the newer variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
AC is very effective, even though Navi Mumbai is not as hot as Delhi (I still miss the heat).I Low AC on 3 is more than enough to chill the occupants.
Old 30th May 2009, 20:30   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to mention I have only ever used the LO position of AC. Never tried it on HI!!
Why? Search me!!
Old 31st May 2009, 00:48   #164
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Front A/c Grill

At last changed the front A/C grill and got the Mhwak one installed this week.

Had gone to the ASC for a free check up of the A/C they were offering, said everything is fine, just cleaned up the filter, checked the gas and tinkered around. Found an irritating rattle somewhere behind the dash, suspect something is left loose, will have to chek it out.

The spares, new ones, had not come, ASC ordered 20 sets, no stocks and all sold out from most dealers across India. ASC said, there's a sudden spert in demand, even factory's out of stock, looks like everyone is changing.

Requested the works manager to manage from a totalledl Mhwak I saw standing out there for an accident claim; was lucky, the vents were in tact, they had it replaced in 20 minutes and I was on my way. Did not pay anything. when fresh stock arrive, will have to give back the grills, install the new ones and then pay; would coast about Rs.300/-. This is what I would call service!!!

Is the change worth it? Yes, they're great, blows air more towards the face and an improvemnet. It was 41 degrees in A'bad last week, never had to push the fan beyond 3, cools down in 5 minutes and then back to 1, great A/C.

Was talking to the A/C guy from the company that installed it in Scorpio, I think Bergen from Germany. Said the Scorpio A/C is the best in the series, 180 liters (???) and is actually oversized for the interior of the Scorpio. The Xylo has only 130 and takes longer time to cool and he said its not as good as the Scorp. Anyway, the A/C is best in class.

Will post pictures once I am back again home.

Regards,

--Ramky
======
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 10:37   #165
Senior - BHPian

mostly i also use the lo position
hi position is used in chennai, tirupati and other such sweltering places
lo is more than sufficient i find. but most of the time I just drive with the windows down

Quote:
I forgot to mention I have only ever used the LO position of AC. Never tried it on HI!!
Why? Search me!!