Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 18th July 2009, 11:36   #181
Senior - BHPian

Upreti, it is only when a tank has run dry that the fuel pump will draw air. In such a case, after refilling the tank the manual pump in the engine bay needs to be operated about a dozen strokes or more to ensure that air has been expelled from the pipelines. Then you may apply the self starter.

It is a common misconception that low fuel level in the tank will cause water or dirt to be sucked in.
The pump ALWAYS sucks from the bottom, so if there is any water or dirt at the bottom of the tank this will get sucked in first even if the tank is full!!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 12:05   #182
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anup, got the point.

In that case the service light issue with balan's Scorpio could be different than what the service guys told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Upreti, it is only when a tank has run dry that the fuel pump will draw air. In such a case, after refilling the tank the manual pump in the engine bay needs to be operated about a dozen strokes or more to ensure that air has been expelled from the pipelines. Then you may apply the self starter.

It is a common misconception that low fuel level in the tank will cause water or dirt to be sucked in.
The pump ALWAYS sucks from the bottom, so if there is any water or dirt at the bottom of the tank this will get sucked in first even if the tank is full!!
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 12:14   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
In that case the service light issue with balan's Scorpio could be different than what the service guys told.
The way I understand it is this:
If there is water drawn in there will be a tell tale warning light on the dash. There is a separate icon for this in the cluster.
If the diesel filter has got clogged with impurities the check engine light will come on.
Old 18th July 2009, 13:06   #184
Team-BHP Support

If your tank runs dry, the debris at the bottom will get sucked in. I think thats why they say never let tank run dry.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 13:23   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If your tank runs dry, the debris at the bottom will get sucked in. I think thats why they say never let tank run dry.
If the debris at the bottom is at pump suction height it will get sucked in regardless of the level of fuel in the tank!
Old 19th July 2009, 23:03   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
I had been having the problem of mcheck (check engine) light glowing regularly. During 35K service, the SM workshop guy said he had reset the onboard computer using his laptop.
When driving to my Mudumalai guest house last week, I filled up fuel when it was almost dry at the Nanjungad petrol pump.
Then all hell broke loose. The mcheck light wouldnt go out, When ever I tried rising the RPM above 1500 / 2000 the engine started choking. I could feel it was deprived of fuel.
On saturday, called up SM workshop in Bangalore from Mudumalai and the service guy who regularly sees my vehicle said please drive slowly and bring the vehicle to BLR or take to a workshop nearby. He gave the national help line number who in turn gave CAI workshop number in coimbatore who in turn gave the Ooty number and said if it is a major problem, you would need to bring the vehicle to coimbatore for service.

I called the ooty guy and explained the symptoms of the problem. He said sir it is a diesel filter problem, drive carefully and come here. We will change the filter. I understood why he asked me to drive carefully when trying to over take a slow santro on the ooty hills. They changed the filter, tested the vehicle, everything is ok. I asked why did the engine stall immediately after filling fuel. Without blinking he asked did you fill u when your tank was nearly dry. Bingo. Yes I did.
He advised me to change the fuel filter every 15000 km considering the fuel quality in Nilgiris and other places.
Seems these guys know about this problem ike their back hand whereas the bangalore SM workshop guy didnt have a clue.

I also did find a good thing on the CAI ooty notice board. Any letter / comment of praise by customers about employees is put up on the notice board to motivate them.
Best regards
This could have been an airlock problem which is notorious in diesel engines. The petrol engines run till the last litre but for diesels one must have a minimum 5 litres or more to prevent an airlock. The airlock of which I have been a victim with many older diesel jeeps, affects the fuel line till the fuel pump and affects the running severely.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 14:36   #187
BHPian

Quote:

Hi
The scorpio was not totally dry. Infact I had done 460 km on a full tank fuel and another good 70 to 100 km was left. The deep sounding warning (Careful your fuel is running empty) didnt come either.

The only explanation can be, since the filter already was clogged, with little fuel in tank, the pump could have taken in air.

The light has not come on after changing the fuel filter. I asked the service guy if they had removed the sensor so that the light wont glow, but they said if you remove the sensor, the light wont stop glowing. They didnt have a "laptop" to reset the light like the bangalore service center guy did.
These guys mainly service the load and vegetable jeeps / pickups.

So these guys on the hills must be facing more down to earth problems considering the abuse the vehicles undergo with the drivers
Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 17:07   #188
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be a logical explanation, but with appx 7-10 lts of fuel left in the tank it is difficult to fathom how could the air be sucked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Hi
The scorpio was not totally dry. Infact I had done 460 km on a full tank fuel and another good 70 to 100 km was left. The deep sounding warning (Careful your fuel is running empty) didnt come either.

The only explanation can be, since the filter already was clogged, with little fuel in tank, the pump could have taken in air.

The light has not come on after changing the fuel filter. I asked the service guy if they had removed the sensor so that the light wont glow, but they said if you remove the sensor, the light wont stop glowing. They didnt have a "laptop" to reset the light like the bangalore service center guy did.
These guys mainly service the load and vegetable jeeps / pickups.

So these guys on the hills must be facing more down to earth problems considering the abuse the vehicles undergo with the drivers
Best regards
Bala
Old 21st July 2009, 10:45   #189
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Not to forget, the electric fuel pump in all petrol cars is lubricated by the fuel itself. Empty tank = busted fuel pump.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 13:16   #190
Senior - BHPian

Default Micro Hybrid: Its adverse impacts

I don't know whether this has been covered or not but wanted to know
doesn't micro hybrid have an adverse effect on the turbo as M&M advises to idle the engine for 1 minute before stopping and after starting. This is mainly done to avoid any adverse impact on the turbo and increase its life
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 13:38   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
doesn't micro hybrid have an adverse effect on the turbo as M&M advises to idle the engine for 1 minute before stopping and after starting. ...
...just ONE among many many unanswered questions about micro-hybrid!
Old 21st July 2009, 13:58   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...just ONE among many many unanswered questions about micro-hybrid!
Well, this is what we call in IT a Live Simulation.

M&M is probably testing it on live guinea pigs before it exports is abroad with a green tag.

It is similar to most of the gizmos given on the VLX, my observations and ratings after 10 months of ownership:

1. TPMS (-): I am not sure if it is accurate, while the manual pressure gauge at my fuel outlet gives standard ratings everytime. This morning when I refilled the air the manual gauge showed 32 in all tyres. The TPMS readings are:

FR - 34 FL - 31 RR - 37 RL 33
So dont know what to believe so I left it to the judgement of the manual gauge.

2. Auto Wipers (*): They have a mind of their own not withstanding the rain. There are times when I have to switch to manual to clear the glass or increase the speed in heavy rain while the auto thinks it is drizzling.

3. Auto Lights (*): Illuminate my cloudy days apart from the night, railway underbridge & tunnels. And the follow me home has the guard or a concerned naighbour literally following me home .."light on hai"

4. Reverse Sensors (*****): A must considering the bulk of this vehicle. They have never failed me till date.

5. Audio Control On Steering (***): These are a convenience, though the functionalities are limited & placement could have been better.

6. Cruise Control (***): Extremely helpful on highways, but can be given a pass as it is not really essential.

7. Audio Warnings (****): This is an excellent reminder service, never lets you forget the basics.

Last edited by m_upreti : 21st July 2009 at 14:03.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:06   #193
BHPian

Question Scorpio for a Bolero

Don't know whether right place to post. If not, then moderators please help me out.

I wanted to buy a UV for less than 8 lakhs and only option that I encountered was Bolero Vlx CRDe. When checking out the same I was offered a 2.6 ltr Lx model of Scorpio. It is not the one that is before the face lift that happened recently and he is offering Rs. 50K off on its OTR price in Bangalore (Price is 8.9, he is offering for 8.4). Price variation is about 65K with Bolero Vlx.

My wife likes scorpio better because she found it easier (read lighter) to drive than Bolero. As for me I am in two minds. Please enlighten me.
shabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 15:04   #194
Senior - BHPian

Dont think about it, go for the Scorpio.

I think the dealer is trying to play a fast one with old stock.

Check the prices on the Mahindra Scorpio website

Ex Showroom (Thane) prices as per the website are:

LX 7,03,400
SLE 8,00,500
VLX -BSIII 8,98,700
VLX-BSIV 9,08,600
VLX-AT 9,76,200
SLX-4WD 9,35,500

Avoid the 2.6 CRDE & go for the mHawk, you get a much better built vehicle with an excellent road presence & an amazing engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
Don't know whether right place to post. If not, then moderators please help me out.

I wanted to buy a UV for less than 8 lakhs and only option that I encountered was Bolero Vlx CRDe. When checking out the same I was offered a 2.6 ltr Lx model of Scorpio. It is not the one that is before the face lift that happened recently and he is offering Rs. 50K off on its OTR price in Bangalore (Price is 8.9, he is offering for 8.4). Price variation is about 65K with Bolero Vlx.

My wife likes scorpio better because she found it easier (read lighter) to drive than Bolero. As for me I am in two minds. Please enlighten me.

Last edited by m_upreti : 21st July 2009 at 15:09.
Old 21st July 2009, 15:37   #195
BHPian

I agree, the Scorp is a better choice if only for the engine. The other benefits are of course there, but this point itself settles the deal.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote