Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 23rd September 2008, 19:31   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Here is my Excel sheet.
Just curious
Where have you added the value added tax?
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:51   #77
BHPian

The only problem I have found driving the vehicle over 2 months is
I took a sudden right turn on the calicut - thamarassery - gudalur route at 60 km and i could fee the vehicle was totally out of control / steerage
I didnt expect it at such low speed. What do you do in such cases?
Best regards
Bala
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:22   #78
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
I took a sudden right turn on the calicut - thamarassery - gudalur route at 60 km and i could fee the vehicle was totally out of control / steerage
Best regards
Bala
could you elaborate a bit more on the road conditions and the kind of steering input you provided? also the tyres used, passenger/cargo load and stuff.
basically, everything
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 10:19   #79
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Best regards
Bala
I submit that this truck is not designed for sudden turns, most SUV's with high centre of gravity & high gc, have the same problem. This is where the notorious 'toppling" comes from, you need to gently nudge the giant.

I have taken sweeping turns on the highway at 100+, but a sudden twist of the wheels at that speed would be a nightmare, it would roll and cart-wheel. I would even suggest a radical view to hit the object in front rather than twist the wheel and risk a topple & greater damage to yourself and others.

--Ramky
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 12:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you do in such cases?
Best option: Pray hard!

Frankly, the whole game is to NOT let such a situation arise.
If it should happen, prayer to the lord is the only recourse!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 13:00   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Best option: Pray hard!

Frankly, the whole game is to NOT let such a situation arise.
If it should happen, prayer to the lord is the only recourse!
Similar words my uncle had. Mappilai, god has given first warning. be careful.
Surely a direct collision is not better than a rollover if you are belted. I have seen couple of rollover accidents where the passengers have come unhurt while a simple direct collision results in fatalities.
Best regards
Old 4th November 2008, 15:38   #82
Senior - BHPian

Default Scorpio-RELIABILITY

Hi,
Scorpio has been a favourite for long for me! The best part is the maintenance is economical (unlike a safari) and driving is is a pleasure. The latest addition to my stable is m-Hawk (i also have a Crde2.6 SLX) and the m-Hawk is a real improvement over the predecessors. It has lots of goodies (some of them little out of place for India as of now) though misses on airbags.
Sound from clutch springs seems to be a continuous problem. however the vehicle can be trusted at all times and has not given me away. I too belong to the famed SCORPIO die-hard fans club.
It is for sure a great buy!

Regards,
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 18:37   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
The latest addition to my stable is m-Hawk (i also have a Crde2.6 SLX) and the m-Hawk is a real improvement over the predecessors. It has lots of goodies (some of them little out of place for India as of now) though misses on airbags.
Surya, you should post some pics here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ir-suv-42.html
Old 5th November 2008, 16:52   #84
Senior - BHPian

Kumar, Thats what I call 'excellent maintenance' is!! All of us buy vehicles, some of us(like YOU) truly maintain them!! I maintain a log for all my vehicles, but not exhaustive as yours.Sure, will update mine and might use your 'patented' work book.
Thank you.
Old 5th November 2008, 17:00   #85
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Surya. Quite simple really. I have a small diary in my car where I write down the odo reading every morning before I start for the day and also note down whenever I refuel. Since I do full tank-to-full tank, I also reset the trip meter so I have a reliable measure of my mileage. All bills for maintenance are retained and I periodically (once every 1-2 months) spend 5-10 minutes entering it in a excel file, which gives me a record and analysis of expenses incurred on maintenance. The daily log/ diesel fillings is also similarly entered into another excel file for a history of distance travelled and mileage obtained.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 17:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

Anup, I shall post the pics of m-hawk soon on the thread you have provided.
Old 5th November 2008, 19:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

@ getsurya: we will love to see the pics buddy. i too own a mHawk, so i would also be interested in your detailed opinion/review about the car and the problems, if any, you have faced with it.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 10:36   #88
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj,
Coming to feedback about m-Hawk, please find my initial observations as follows(6000 km done),
1. Hawk handles a lot easier and better than the predecessors. Stable at decent high speeds and you know that your car's rear is following you in turnings.
2. The Lotus rear suspension is doing the job pretty well. (now my mom prefers to sit in the Hawk unlike the earlier Crde SLX-leaf springs one!)
3. Cruise control is useful and have used it good number of times, however misses any indication on the dash about engagement of the same
4. Braking has vastly improved with ABS.However, at this price AIRBAGS are a big MISS my M & M!!
5. the new W bumper still spills water on the windscreen and need to watch out at high speeds during rainy season.
6. Auto lights/wipers working fine/good.
7. Reverse parking system is useful.
8. The interiors are not up to the mark in terms of quality and the feel for the cost paid.
9. Clutch is little easier on your knee than the earlier models.
10.Roof lights/sun visors/door trims etc quality has to be improved.
11.Rear tower brake lights should be utilized.I feel that they can house good red LEDs and can light up depending upon the brake application pressure.(this is something I am planning a DIY)
12.My cars first servicing costed me 2500 approx, inclusive of engine care treatment from maxicare at service outlet.
More later, I think I can go on. But will wait to hear from more of us too.
Old 6th November 2008, 15:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

with the new bumper, water does not spill on to the bonnet in my scorpio. can anybody having a scorpio throw more light on this?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 15:30   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
with the new bumper, water does not spill on to the bonnet in my scorpio. can anybody having a scorpio throw more light on this?
Can't say about the bonnet because I could'nt see it with the windshield all drenched!