Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 6th January 2009, 12:53   #106
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Solution to your problem is installing a hood deflector, It is a ABS plastic strip installed on edge of bonnet and deflects debris away from windshield.

Hood deflector is available as an Accessory at Tata Dealerships for Safari
but irony is that it is never required in Safari as it has a long bonnet and inclined windshield.

Bglsrini has installed it you can see the pic here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...please-24.html

Regards
Amit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
water tends to splash heavily onto the windscreen while driving at higher speeds in my Scorp - it has the normal Bridgestone Dueler HT tyres - anything over 40-50 kmph in the hills during monsoons and on highways if one is doing normal highway speeds of 80-90kmph.
most irritating but since I used to face the same trouble in my Bolero Im kind of used to it. So nowadays I simply slow down while passing through large puddles on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi,

As I have mentioned earlier, the new W bumper(on my new mhawk) offers little solace for water not to spill on Windscreen. I also have an Crde-SLX(which used to have the old bumper replaced that with new W-one thinking that it will help) which has the same problem with different degree of the trouble.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 14:17   #107
Senior - BHPian

how can a hood deflector stop the water spashing from the tyres?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 14:29   #108
Senior - BHPian

That is called as a bug deflector and probably will not help water spillage!!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 14:52   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
how can a hood deflector stop the water spashing from the tyres?
When the tyre rotate at high speed fine spray like droplets emerge from both the edges (back and front ) where Tyre meets the road surface , For front tyres sprayed water in backward direction is usually contained by mudflaps else it will make under body and doors dirty but small amount of water is sprayed towards the front also from the rising surface of tyre . This water sprayed in front is contained by front bumper, but if front bumper is short or if there is too much of water sprayed then the water particles comes on bonnet and windshield.

The hood deflector gives an angle to dust , debris and water particle being lifted by front tyres and they fly at higher angle away from the windshield.

Now this is the theory
For hood deflector to work the angle provided by hood deflector should match the vehicle shape so in mature markets ( USA) hood deflectors are sold as per vehicle model, You can try by placing the deflector and drawing imaginary straight line and check if it goes above top edge of windshield.

Last edited by amitk26 : 6th January 2009 at 14:54.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:16   #110
BHPian

My Scorpio gives a strange thud thud noise from the roof right above driver's head ever since I came back from Manali and I find it very irritating. I showed it to a local mechanic and he expressed his inability stating roof needs to be opened and all from inside.

Of late I have started finding it very irritating and I am also worried that service centre may also dismiss it stating it will require extensive labour and opening of the roof from inside and may tell me to live with it.

I would be in a dilemma as I cant live with it also and dont want the rof to be dismantled / opened up also.

Please suggest.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 15:55   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
My Scorpio gives a strange thud thud noise from the roof right above driver's head ever since I came back from Manali and I find it very irritating. I showed it to a local mechanic and he expressed his inability stating roof needs to be opened and all from inside.

Of late I have started finding it very irritating and I am also worried that service centre may also dismiss it stating it will require extensive labour and opening of the roof from inside and may tell me to live with it.

I would be in a dilemma as I cant live with it also and dont want the rof to be dismantled / opened up also.

Please suggest.
You probably need to get the roof lining opened and check for any defects in the welding joints or clamps. Opening the roof lining can be done by any accident shop and is not that big a deal.
Strangerintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 15:59   #112
BHPian

Quote:

Please suggest.
Do you have roof rails? If so, it's possible that the mounting bolt has come loose. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix at the service centre.
Roshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 21:16   #113
BHPian

Yes I do have the roof rails and the first thing I checked was the roof rail only. In fact the noise comes exactly at the point where the rail is connected to the roof. But I have tried to shake the rail manually and looks like perfectly fixed to me. The car is about a year old only.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 22:06   #114
BHPian

Quote:

Please suggest.
I wonder why at these little complaint s the authorised service centre s try to tip toe out of such situations ? The same happened for my accord i had complained for an irritating dashboard noise and without even investigating (apparently) they dismissed it by scaring me the dashboard needs to be opened .Next day morning i went to my local trusted garage and they located it to an idol which was kept in my glove compartment as it had come loose a day before i did nt notice it my mistake !!
Regards
SaaJan
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 22:12   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
When the tyre rotate at high speed fine spray like droplets emerge from both the edges (back and front ) where Tyre meets the road surface , For front tyres sprayed water in backward direction is usually contained by mudflaps else it will make under body and doors dirty but small amount of water is sprayed towards the front also from the rising surface of tyre . This water sprayed in front is contained by front bumper, but if front bumper is short or if there is too much of water sprayed then the water particles comes on bonnet and windshield.

The hood deflector gives an angle to dust , debris and water particle being lifted by front tyres and they fly at higher angle away from the windshield.

Now this is the theory
For hood deflector to work the angle provided by hood deflector should match the vehicle shape so in mature markets ( USA) hood deflectors are sold as per vehicle model, You can try by placing the deflector and drawing imaginary straight line and check if it goes above top edge of windshield.
but the hood deflector is fixed to the front end of the bonnet and the water is sprayed from the sides, that is, from the side fenders in the scorpio.
Old 6th January 2009, 23:31   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but the hood deflector is fixed to the front end of the bonnet and the water is sprayed from the sides, that is, from the side fenders in the scorpio.
If the water is sprayed from sides then probably a custom made side fender extension is solution but getsurya mentioned about new bumper from mHwak that suggests that water splash / spray is from the front. Perhaps
original posters can clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi,

As I have mentioned earlier, the new W bumper(on my new mhawk) offers little solace for water not to spill on Windscreen. I also have an Crde-SLX(which used to have the old bumper replaced that with new W-one thinking that it will help) which has the same problem with different degree of the trouble.
Also it is highly unlikely that water is splashed from sides on speeding Scorpio because that requires water splash to be projected up almost at 85 degree angle inclined inwards which is impossible. Water from sides is most likely to wet front doors and rear door windows.
Old 7th January 2009, 08:49   #117
Senior - BHPian

Wandernomad, m-Hawk said it right. It might not be a complex issue after all. Just go the nearest auto shed in your area and they shall diagnose the noise(most of the times correctly!). Cars vintage has nothing to do with loosening parts.
m-Hawk- You got the screen name dude!!
Amit, the issue with water spillage is the water thrown from the front end of the fenders and not exactly from below the bonnet angle. That is why the new design does not wholly solve the problem. I had my old type front bumper replaced free of cost with new W type by M&M for my Crde SLX, still the problem persists with a lesser degree of concern!!
My guess is if both fenders design is extended by an inch or so along with the cladding that should take care!! I am no engineer as such!
Old 7th January 2009, 10:09   #118
Senior - BHPian

i think the water sprays as shown in green and not as shown in red. so i think the W bumper does little to avoid the water spray.

so i think the hood deflector wont help. also, at high speeds, the water rises to a considerable level before splashing on the windscreen. so the hood deflector wont offer much help.
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio Reliability-2.jpg  

Old 7th January 2009, 10:22   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think the water sprays as shown in green and not as shown in red. so i think the W bumper does little to avoid the water spray.
Raj, in my Scorpio, the tyres are well within the wheel-well, ie. no offset. Yet water does splash onto the windscreen on going through puddles at high speed. Meaning that the green line does not appear to be the splash path.

I suspect that the distance between the wheel and the bumper needs to be increased, rather than extending a 'skirt' downwards, further degrading an already compromised ground clearance/approach angle.
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 11:05   #120
Senior - BHPian

yes Anup. The wheel length coupled with fender width increase should address the issue...my take!