Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 7th January 2009, 11:25   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Raj, in my Scorpio, the tyres are well within the wheel-well, ie. no offset. Yet water does splash onto the windscreen on going through puddles at high speed. Meaning that the green line does not appear to be the splash path.

I suspect that the distance between the wheel and the bumper needs to be increased, rather than extending a 'skirt' downwards, further degrading an already compromised ground clearance/approach angle.
Thanks Anup for confirming what I suspected , Increasing distance between
wheel and bumper may not be possible for many owners who are afraid of cutting plastics. What do you think about hood deflector accessory as I suggested , It is something used on GM / Ford SUVs for ages can it work for Scorpio ?
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 22:45   #122
BHPian

I had the same water on windshield problem when I was chasing the VW during my mysore trip. At 100KPH and sudddenly the whole windshield is covered with water, you are blinded, was real dangerous.
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 09:05   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
What do you think about hood deflector accessory as I suggested , It is something used on GM / Ford SUVs for ages can it work for Scorpio ?
LOL, in the absence of wind tunnels for testing, the best we can do is fit one & see how it works!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 02:32   #124
BHPian

Default Used Scorpio

Guys,

Not sure this is right thread to post this but I am hoping to get some guidance to close/drop a scorpio deal.

I have 2 cars and I wish to sell my 7 yr old Ikon and looking for a used scorpio. My budget is around 5 lacs plus.

Came across a 2.6 CRDE 2006 model driven around 28000 Kms, Single owner. Some body work required. No Alloys. Single CD system with box speakers. Tyres may last for another 10000 Kms.

How much would be a right price bad? Tell me the Max also.

My idea is to get a cheaper one and work on some mods. Alloys, Tyres, DVD, Petes, Blistien etc..

Is it worth to go for this or should i wait on Mhawk? I didnt see much Mhawks on used car market

Appreciate your help !

Thanks
rshiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 10:14   #125
Senior - BHPian

Hi RShiv,

I have recently disposed my CRDE SLX Nov 2006 Scorpio(40 k on odo) with 5 alloys, new Bridgestone deullers, JVC DVD player with roof mounted screen, scratchless, well maintained(obviously) for 6.4 lacs.
So, I guess with what you have posted you can go upto 5 or 5.5 MAX if there is no engine or suspension work to be done on the car you have seen.

My 2 cents!!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 10:48   #126
BHPian

rshiv,

Which variant are you getting? DX,LX or SLX. price varies pretty largely.

Vijay
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:10   #127
BHPian

That is a DX version
rshiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 17:39   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshiv View Post
I have 2 cars and I wish to sell my 7 yr old Ikon and looking for a used scorpio. My budget is around 5 lacs plus.

Came across a 2.6 CRDE 2006 model driven around 28000 Kms, Single owner. Some body work required. No Alloys. Single CD system with box speakers. Tyres may last for another 10000 Kms.

How much would be a right price bad? Tell me the Max also.

My idea is to get a cheaper one and work on some mods. Alloys, Tyres, DVD, Petes, Blistien etc..

Is it worth to go for this or should i wait on Mhawk? I didnt see much Mhawks on used car market
hi rshiv, a scorpio DX of jan 2006 with 28,000 kms sells for around 6 lakhs.

for example, look at surya's scorpio, it was a 2006 model, had done 40 k (compared to 28k) and it went for 6.4 lakhs (it had alloys and DVD player!)
max, you should pay 7 lakhs if the car is in excellent condition.

i am not too sure that you will get a mHawk, and if you do get, it will cost you no less than 9 lakhs.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 18:19   #129

hi guys,
I guess the scorpio is one of the toughest veh on road in India. Last feb when i was driving to chennai, i met with a freak accident. At around 70 kmph, one of the rear tyre burst and my veh rolled down thrice and fell from the bund road approx 20 feet down near Kolar city, 60 kms from Bangalore. The entire body shell was damaged but all the four occupants ie me, my wife and my 2 kids were safe. My elder son had a small wrist fracture and my collar bone had a hair line fracture. The insurance co refused to scrap the veh because only the shell was damaged and the chasis and the engine were good. (Mine is a sept 2008 slx model and I use it only for long distance. Done 9k till now). The body shell was scrapped and replaced with a new one. India Garage Bangalore have done a satisfactory job. All said and done, any other veh would have done a greater damage to the occupants at such impact.
The main point to be noted here is that the power steering is extremely sensitive and at speeds higher than 60, the driver has to be very careful.
JK Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 18:55   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Rao View Post
At around 70 kmph, one of the rear tyre burst and my veh rolled down thrice
Good you and your family are safe and sound , How old was the tyre and how many KM it had done ? Any probable reason of burst like over inflation etc ?
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 19:32   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last feb when i was driving to chennai, i met with a freak accident.

(Mine is a sept 2008 slx model and I use it only for long distance. Done 9k till now).
You mean Sept 2007 slx ??

Glad that there were no major injuries.
badboyscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 20:10   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi guys,
I guess the scorpio is one of the toughest veh on road in India. Last feb when i was driving to chennai, i met with a freak accident. At around 70 kmph, one of the rear tyre burst and my veh rolled down thrice and fell from the bund road approx 20 feet down near Kolar city, 60 kms from Bangalore. The entire body shell was damaged but all the four occupants ie me, my wife and my 2 kids were safe. My elder son had a small wrist fracture and my collar bone had a hair line fracture.
glad to hear that everybody is safe. scorpio is indeed tough.
same question though, what caused the tyre to burst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
You mean Sept 2007 slx ??

Glad that there were no major injuries.
even i have the same doubt, SLX was replaced by SLE after the mHawk's debut.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 17:23   #133

sorry, it is the 2007 sept model and the tyres are all new. at the time of the accident i had done ony around 2.7 to 3 k kms. one week before the journey, i had replaced the tyre air with nitrogen. could have been the reason.
JK Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 18:20   #134
BHPian

Quote:
At around 70 kmph, one of the rear tyre burst

A very rare case of tubeless getting burst!

Last edited by breezydrive : 10th January 2009 at 18:28.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 13:57   #135
Senior - BHPian

Hi JK Rao,

Great relief that all of you escaped with minor injuries, and the legendra Mahindra toughness was proved.

However, need to understand a few things:

1. We you on a hilly track driving close to the edge.
2. After the tyre burst was it the oversteering which lead to the vehicle
being overturned or the car hit some thing on the side of the road.

Even I have felt that the car is going out of control on steep bends even at low speeds, couple of times the occupants have been thrown around while going through the turn to approach the flyover near Belapur station connecting to the Palm Beach road.

Quote:
hi guys,
I guess the scorpio is one of the toughest veh on road in India. Last feb when i was driving to chennai, i met with a freak accident. At around 70 kmph, one of the rear tyre burst and my veh rolled down thrice and fell from the bund road approx 20 feet down near Kolar city, 60 kms from Bangalore. The entire body shell was damaged but all the four occupants ie me, my wife and my 2 kids were safe. My elder son had a small wrist fracture and my collar bone had a hair line fracture. The insurance co refused to scrap the veh because only the shell was damaged and the chasis and the engine were good. (Mine is a sept 2008 slx model and I use it only for long distance. Done 9k till now). The body shell was scrapped and replaced with a new one. India Garage Bangalore have done a satisfactory job. All said and done, any other veh would have done a greater damage to the occupants at such impact.
The main point to be noted here is that the power steering is extremely sensitive and at speeds higher than 60, the driver has to be very careful.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote