Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 19th January 2011, 15:05   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Good price for a used Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
ACM, yes there are many negatives and this is not a ideal vehicle which can be your practical, everyday car. But if the values and qualities Forester offers (which are very unique) appeal to a buyer, then it is a very attractive, niche, (probably, a second) car. This is a car for those buy with their heart and not with their mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
You seem to be hinting at more problems than just parts?
@Viraat, when I say it can't be a everyday car, it is mostly related to parts.
I have heard of incidents where Foresters were stranded in workshops while parts were being ordered. But these could be abused example (which require clutch, suspension overhauling etc)
Also I feel Forester is more suited for long distance driving then to be driven within the city (read poor low end torque).
You may also be aware that Forester is not known for very good FE. But you can manage 8+ kmpl in the city and 12+ on the highway.

Last edited by Guna : 19th January 2011 at 15:06.
Old 19th January 2011, 16:40   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Having driven couple of them on long distance drives all I can say you are optimist on FE figures.

That said if I was buying I'd buy a Forestor just for the solid planted feel it gives. Yes parts are a worry and so are good workshops but what a drive it gives. In the high range the lack of low end torque is felt but in low range that disappears.

A bit OT :
However as the picture below shows it is not all conquering vehicle:Name:  IMG_0215.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  36.2 KB

The GV could help pull it out before the clutch burnt
Name:  IMG_0217.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  32.4 KB

The surface was treacherous and slippery. See the varying lines being taken by the convoy. Not because they intend to but the vehicles kept slithering all over the place. The Forestor and GV were leading the convoy through Sambhar lake.
Name:  IMG_0263.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  33.2 KB
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2011, 17:03   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
However as the picture below shows it is not all conquering vehicle:

The GV could help pull it out before the clutch burnt
@Sudev, thanks for sharing.
Just curious if the GV was standing on a relatively solid surface while pulling out the Forester. I will be surprised if Forester got stuck and GV was able to pull it out on the same surface. Combination of viscous coupling and LSD in the rear on the Forester is supposed to be very effective on a loose surface. I can understand that if all 4 wheels loose traction, you can't do much but how is GV able to pull out with open central differential?
On the FE front, I did manage to get 13 kmpl on a tankful when I used 'Power' on a 4 lane highway. However on normal petrol and on regular 2 lane highways, I have got around 11.

Last edited by Guna : 19th January 2011 at 17:12.
Old 19th January 2011, 17:51   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

The surface was the same. He took a much tighter turn in trying to avoid the "sticky clay" of Sambhar. His tyres got totally coated with the stuff. So much so that the wheel and the arch were all glued together. The GV was able to go through because of longer radius of the turn. When we were pulling him out GV was on firmer ground.

Ultimately one of the big Petronas trucks pulled it for half a kilometre with tyres not rotating but sliding on the surface.

Amazing average.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:53   #140
BHPian

Quote:
@Viraat, when I say it can't be a everyday car, it is mostly related to parts.
I have heard of incidents where Foresters were stranded in workshops while parts were being ordered. But these could be abused example (which require clutch, suspension overhauling etc)
Also I feel Forester is more suited for long distance driving then to be driven within the city (read poor low end torque).
You may also be aware that Forester is not known for very good FE. But you can manage 8+ kmpl in the city and 12+ on the highway.
Oh I see. That might be a problem for me. If I do get a Forester, it'll be my everyday car.

I don't think getting major parts will be a problem if you do some advance planning and order them from abroad in advance, the car will hardly be stranded for days.

Hmmm. I would be mainly using it inside the city, as I don't make highway trips without my dad and then he only takes his car.

I suppose each person will have to figure out for himself whether he is comfortable driving it in the city.

I have never had any cars that have had a high FE. So when I read 8+ and 12+ I was like hey that's pretty good!
Old 21st January 2011, 12:20   #141
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Viraat - One will not always know when a clutch is about to pack up or when a brake or clutch cylinder is about to give away, and one of these things can keep a forrester in a garage for many days while parts are being sourced. It's not suitable for being used as a single car every day car today.
Old 21st January 2011, 16:20   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Viraat - One will not always know when a clutch is about to pack up or when a brake or clutch cylinder is about to give away, and one of these things can keep a forrester in a garage for many days while parts are being sourced. It's not suitable for being used as a single car every day car today.
True that. Well I do have an alternate car (even if it is a 800). There is the W124, but that is my dad's baby. Maybe I should stop dreaming. But never say never!
Old 1st March 2011, 00:53   #143
Senior - BHPian

im planning to rent a forester or an outback or a c class on a forthcoming trip overseas. Hope to have some nice experiences to enjoy at first hand and write about later. Have specifically requested either the forester or the outback. Only thing is there is no manual option, only autoboxes are available for hire. Still the experience should be fun!
Old 1st March 2011, 23:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
im planning to rent a forester or an outback or a c class on a forthcoming trip overseas. Hope to have some nice experiences to enjoy at first hand and write about later. Have specifically requested either the forester or the outback. Only thing is there is no manual option, only autoboxes are available for hire. Still the experience should be fun!
Please try to get 2.4 L turbo
Old 18th March 2011, 16:42   #145
Senior - BHPian

I got the current top spec Petrol Subaru Forester and rented it for the entire duration of time I was there. It had a 2 litre Petrol engine and Automatic Transmission with Sport Mode. Subaru Forester 2.0 XS.
Superb vehicle. Enjoyed it. here's a pic. will share more when I publish the travelogue.

Quote:
Please try to get 2.4 L turbo
Attached Thumbnails
Good price for a used Forester-my-sub.jpg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2011, 13:22   #146
BHPian

I have driven a forester extensively. It is a great highway and a city car. very nice and comfortable.

I drove only the auto AWD options.

Amazing stability at corners if you ever need it.

Do not know about parts availability in India. But if availability and price is not an issue, it is one of the best cars I ever drove.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 02:41   #147
BHPian

Reviving an old-ish thread, but can't find a better place.

IF I was to looking at owning a Forester in Mumbai, where would I be able to service it? Any leads?
Old 13th July 2011, 09:25   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_payne View Post
Reviving an old-ish thread, but can't find a better place.

IF I was to looking at owning a Forester in Mumbai, where would I be able to service it? Any leads?
All GM service stations will service the Forester.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:51   #149

Hey guys,

Somewhat resurrecting a thread from the dead.. I have a Forester I'm desperately trying to get spares for. Or figure out the best (reasonable) aftermarket upgrades. Any ideas? I'm in Gurgaon / Delhi, and have the '03 2.0X model.

Unfortunately, due to my BHP "newbie" status, I can't PM all the people who said they knew where to obtain spares from! Mura, please help? Thanks!
- AP
Old 4th December 2011, 23:07   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldkannon View Post
I have a Forester I'm desperately trying to get spares for. Or figure out the best (reasonable) aftermarket upgrades. Any ideas? I'm in Gurgaon / Delhi, and have the '03 2.0X model.
Have you tried with GM workshops? They must be bale to source parts. They may charge 200% and take a month which is a different matter.
Closed Thread