Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 6th November 2012, 21:10   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Good price for a used Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post
The clutch on this particular Forester is stiff, and I mean really stiff, much harder than my Alto. If a new clutch would improve matters considerably, then the Forester wins. From my research, a new clutch will cost Rs. 25k + labor.
If it is certain 'white' Forester, I believe it already had the clutch assembly changed once. (Also the Forester never came in White originally )
Old 6th November 2012, 22:53   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If it is certain 'white' Forester, I believe it already had the clutch assembly changed once. (Also the Forester never came in White originally )
Hmm, you seem to be in the know Looks like it was blue originally. Of course, dealer had a ready explanation for this. Would you recommend this car, strictly on its merits, to a fellow BHPian?

That earlier replacement does not bode well, since clearly it has not improved matters. 2 cars with the clutch as their weakest point *shudder* (the clutch on the Alto itself is hardly user-friendly).

A techno-packed car with "horizontally-opposed boxer engine and symmetrical AWD" or a white elephant, literally?
Old 7th November 2012, 06:54   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna
The only one on sale recently in BLR was that White one. The dealership at which it was visible, frankly is a bit of a 'dodgydog' and hence If I were on the buy side I would waddle off somewhere more congenial...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 09:58   #169
JVH
Senior - BHPian

There's one on sale in T-BHP classifieds in Bangalore. Did you have a look at it? I was very close to picking up one a few months ago but had to divert funds elsewhere.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:07   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, you seem to be in the know Looks like it was blue originally. Of course, dealer had a ready explanation for this. Would you recommend this car, strictly on its merits, to a fellow BHPian?
I will not recommend a repainted car. They need to strip down the car and put things back. Paint can start cracking, peeling off, can lead to rusting over time etc. But you can consider it, if they have substantially brought down the price (because of 'repainting').
Can you tell (or PM me) what was the explanation given? Hope it is not some vastu thing (which is what I suspected)

Last edited by Guna : 7th November 2012 at 10:11.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 11:55   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The only one on sale recently in BLR was that White one. The dealership at which it was visible, frankly is a bit of a 'dodgydog' and hence If I were on the buy side I would waddle off somewhere more congenial...
'dodgydog'. Very quaint term that! First time I ever came across this word. Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
There's one on sale in T-BHP classifieds in Bangalore. Did you have a look at it? I was very close to picking up one a few months ago but had to divert funds elsewhere.
Not really looking for a Forester specifically. Stumbled in on this one while looking for another car. Wife and kid loved it.

Quote:
I will not recommend a repainted car. They need to strip down the car and put things back. Paint can start cracking, peeling off, can lead to rusting over time etc. But you can consider it, if they have substantially brought down the price (because of 'repainting').
Can you tell (or PM me) what was the explanation given? Hope it is not some vastu thing (which is what I suspected)
Thanks, Guna. Must admit, had not really considered these aspects of a repainted car. But then, am no car expert. The job on this one looks very well done. To my untrained eye, it looks no different from factory paint. The owner just has a fancy for white I guess. Pity, the original regal blue would have been delectable. However, this does not bother me much. Besides, the white "hides" the slightly quirky looks to some extent: I don't want my ride to be too conspicuous. It's the heavy clutch that's the potential deal-breaker.

I think I don't have pm facility: newbie you see. The price is sweet. Very.
Old 28th November 2012, 10:51   #172
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, Guna. Must admit, had not really considered these aspects of a repainted car. But then, am no car expert. The job on this one looks very well done. To my untrained eye, it looks no different from factory paint. The owner just has a fancy for white I guess. Pity, the original regal blue would have been delectable.

This specific car looks like the one from Garuda (Currently a maruti showroom) on Lalbagh road, I purchased my forester from them at that time (2005) and this blue forester was brand new then. Owner is the MD of the showroom and he loves Forester to the core. But there is a small risk though.... they tried to sell me a used forester that they were using for test drives and that was horrible. This specific Blue Forester reached him one year before he finally decided to close the Chevy shop and open it as a Maruti Showroom, I suspect they might not have used this car for the test drives as much as the previous car.

There is an important thing you need to check when you are test-driving the forester, take the forester to a good 3.5-4k rpm in every gear and see how the gear shift is, there should not be any lag or jerk.

BTW: The white forester does look great... my favourite next to WR blue.
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 20:39   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
This specific car looks like the one from Garuda (Currently a maruti showroom) on Lalbagh road, I purchased my forester from them at that time (2005) and this blue forester was brand new then. ....................., I suspect they might not have used this car for the test drives as much as the previous car.
Hmm. I hope it was never used as a TD car

Quote:
There is an important thing you need to check when you are test-driving the forester, take the forester to a good 3.5-4k rpm in every gear and see how the gear shift is, there should not be any lag or jerk.
Apart from the stiff nature of the clutch and the slightly notchy gear shift, I've not noticed anything unusual ( certainly nothing like the dreaded "judder"/shudder especially with A/C on in the otherwise trusty Alto in stop-go traffic before I replaced the clutch assembly for all of Rs. 5200.00 at Mandovi...).

Quote:
BTW: The white forester does look great... my favourite next to WR blue.
Thanks. A dark shade of Blue would have been my first preference too. The white, though not bad, is slightly on the bland side. Thinking about some "budget" cosmetic mods like Subaru logos/emblems. (The Chevy bowtie on the grill just doesn't cut it; this IS a Subaru).

I_K_A_R_U_S
Old 28th November 2012, 20:49   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The purchase has been already made by IcarusMan.
This gear shift test you are suggesting, is this specific to Forester or any car?
Old 29th November 2012, 08:59   #175
BHPian

Quote:
The purchase has been already made by IcarusMan.
This gear shift test you are suggesting, is this specific to Forester or any car?
Ok, I guess my comment is dated :-)

About the gear shift, it would actually apply to any car, but for the forester it would show up as an acute problem like a pause before the actual shift. It could mean a serious problem with your transmission/clutch and viscous couplings I suppose.

Quote:

Thanks. A dark shade of Blue would have been my first preference too. The white, though not bad, is slightly on the bland side. Thinking about some "budget" cosmetic mods like Subaru logos/emblems. (The Chevy bowtie on the grill just doesn't cut it; this IS a Subaru).

I_K_A_R_U_S
Well that was the first modification I did..... within a week of the purchase :-) You try www.subarugenuineparts.com for the Front emblem, wheel emblems and the rear S U B A R U long sticker.

Ofcourse, I would have re-printed the manual if only I had the pdf and reversed what they did with "CUT N PASTE" :-D
Old 29th November 2012, 09:55   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Well that was the first modification I did..... within a week of the purchase :-) You try www.subarugenuineparts.com for the Front emblem, wheel emblems and the rear S U B A R U long sticker.
Sorry, I should have given you some clues on where to look

Goto:

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

And select Subaru Forester 2003 model

And look under
o Grille(For the front emblem part 8 & 9)
o Exterior Trim (For rear "S U B A R U name plate part 11)
o Cover and trims section (For Subaru wheel Center caps part 13 under Alloy wheel type 1)

Ofcourse, you do need someone to get them here ;-) , if you want to avoid shipping costs.
Old 29th November 2012, 23:33   #177
BHPian

Quote:

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

And select Subaru Forester 2003 model

And look under
o Grille(For the front emblem part 8 & 9)
o Exterior Trim (For rear "S U B A R U name plate part 11)
o Cover and trims section (For Subaru wheel Center caps part 13 under Alloy wheel type 1)
Great stuff. Though I've seen some here and there on Ebay, they look kind of iffy. This looks like the real McCoy. Thanks for sharing this. Should lend the car a bit more Subaru character. Of course, come servicing time, it'll meekly turn into a Chevy again .

Quote:
Ofcourse, I would have re-printed the manual if only I had the pdf and reversed what they did with "CUT N PASTE"
I got the *service* manual from the owner, a real thick tome! And a PDF owner's manual from here. Also, the Forester Haynes repair manual would be a good thing to have. Not that I'm planning on turning into a grease monkey soon but do admire and respect their work and the DIY types.
IcarusMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 10:33   #178
BHPian

Quote:
And a PDF owner's manual from here. Also, the Forester Haynes repair manual would be a good thing to have. Not that I'm planning on turning into a grease monkey soon but do admire and respect their work and the DIY types.
Thanks for the manual, it would be real handy when I need it.
(I was just indicating how furious I am with the CUT AND PASTE work :-) )

Now that I have used the car enough I have even forgotten that there is CHEVY in the manuals. Of course philosophically speaking sugar doesn't need a label once you have tasted it.
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:23   #179
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Good price for a used Forester

Quote:
here. Also, the Forester Haynes repair manual would be a good thing to have. Not that I'm planning on turning into a grease monkey soon but do admire and respect their work and the DIY types.
I thought I had read the manual but looks like I haven't completely, this is a very good read and probably *must* read for all the Foz owners. Also, this has lot more technical details than the one that comes with the car in India.
Old 27th August 2013, 20:09   #180

WRXXX , IcarusMan , Guna & all forester lovers - Hi guys . A friend of mine has stumbled upon a used forester here in the classifieds http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-used-for-sale/32513/JP%20Nagar,%20Bangalore/2003/Chevrolet/Forester.html/

He is contemplating to go for this one but isn't sure how much to quote for.
He is a complete noob but an aficionado so my questions are ->

1.What are the things that would decide the price for this forester. The quoted price is much higher
2. Apart from timing chain which I presume should be changed by 1Lakh km what other things would need replacement if he plans to buy one
3. Anything Forester specific that needs to be checked
4. Common Problems / Issues / headaches he should be aware of
Closed Thread