Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 12th August 2008, 17:00   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I dont understand how the price of 6.5-7 is arrived at. the car is very good to drive and very reliable. how much has the seller quoted guna?
Old 12th August 2008, 17:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I dont understand how the price of 6.5-7 is arrived at. the car is very good to drive and very reliable. how much has the seller quoted guna?
Seller was offered 7 Lakhs earlier by someone and he refused sell it . he is waiting for me to come up with a quote first but he has hinted that he is thinking around 9 lakhs. Of course he is also aware that nobody is ready to offer him that kind of price.

I droped by GM service station and had a chat with the service adviser. He thinks that it is only worth about 4-5 lakhs! The reasons are non avilability of parts and lack of service support if it breaks down when taken on a long drive.
This is getting very confusing now.

Last edited by ajmat : 12th August 2008 at 18:23.
Old 12th August 2008, 20:28   #18
BHPian

@Guna:

I bought it a year ago , i have so far done about 10000km , i only did 2 oil services and just got a new set of 17 inch wheels.

BTW i service Japanese imports and SUVs so parts absolutely no problem, and very reasonable.You can virtually get any part if you are prepared to wait about 7-10 days.

Prices:
Oil filter - Rs.350, a set of 4 Shocks - Rs.12000, Fuel filter Rs.550, Air Filter Rs.600, Timing belt and tensioner Rs.4500, Break Pads Rs.3200 a set.
Old 13th August 2008, 11:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
@Guna:

BTW i service Japanese imports and SUVs so parts absolutely no problem, and very reasonable.You can virtually get any part if you are prepared to wait about 7-10 days.

Prices:
Oil filter - Rs.350, a set of 4 Shocks - Rs.12000, Fuel filter Rs.550, Air Filter Rs.600, Timing belt and tensioner Rs.4500, Break Pads Rs.3200 a set.
I feel more confident about buying a Forester now
Old 20th August 2008, 09:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all those who helped me with the pricing.
I am able to close the deal at 7 lakhs.
Old 24th August 2008, 12:26   #21
BHPian

Welcome to the Forester club. Mine is due for 40,000 km service next month.
Will get it done at Kochi GM Motors. Does GM has Service centre for Forester in Coimbatore?
Old 24th August 2008, 14:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reji22 View Post
Welcome to the Forester club. Mine is due for 40,000 km service next month.
Will get it done at Kochi GM Motors. Does GM has Service centre for Forester in Coimbatore?
Thanks. I am based in Bangalore. Mura would know about GM services in Coimbatore
Old 24th August 2008, 15:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi reji,

> Mine is due for 40,000 km service next month.

What has been your experience with the Forester so far? How old is it? Has it been maintenance free?

I had the chance of taking a long test drive in GM Kochi's demo Forester long long back. We as a family were impressed with its on road and off road performance. I was deeply into diesel vehicles then and so never was serious in buying it. By the time I came around to condidering it later, it was out of the market.

When I had the dest drive, the sales person had assured me that it would be approximately be Rs 4000 every 10000kms for servicing.
Old 25th August 2008, 07:11   #24
BHPian

hello Rajesh
So far I have had no service problems with the GM fellows. The wheel alignment is the area where you have to concentrate as it always tend to go awry after serious off-road drives. I check it at the local tyre centre in Kottayam.
As for the periodic maintenance, I had to pay 12,000 for my 30,000km service due to change of brake pads. For 40,000km I expect it to be about Rs.10,000 as all the transmission oils are also to be changed.
Reji
Old 25th August 2008, 14:46   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Hi
After many months of hunting, I have come across a used Forester in Bangalore which has done 28k and is in very good condition.
I wanted to check what is the reasonable price for this car. I have cheked sources like Carwale and JMD Cars but they dont seem to take some factors like 'non-avilability' or 'rarity' in to account.
Any views on this are highly appreciated.

Regards

Guna

PS: I am aware of the issues with parts/service etc with the Forester
Guna,

A Forester is a great buy, apart from its badging its just a Subaru 4wd. Its a great Compact SUV to buy.

Go ahead and buy it, prices vary depending on the condition its been kept in. For a neatly maintained Forester you can pay anywhere between 5 lacs upto 6.50 lacs, not more than that.

Chevy still services these cars here in Bangalore, so no worry about spares and services.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Pavan- the Chevy Forester is a great compact station-wagon with Full Time AWD. Yes it is a re-badged SUBARU Forester.
The indication of the price seems fair but considering this car is out of production now and they've discontinued it completely, you would probably be able to swing a slightly better deal for yourself.
It used to cost about 13 lacs when brand new - 2003-2004 or so. Now in 2008 when its been phased out and of course in these days of fast falling re-sale values, especially for discontinued vehicles, my guess is that you could get away paying about 4.5-5.5 lacs for the vehicle even though its done only 28K km and I am sure by what you've written that it is a well maintained car. Am wondering whether it is that Silver Forester that lives in Koramangala - Ive had my eye on that one these last 5 years!

However, the Forester is a Petrol Driven vehicle and might cost you a packet to run. In reference to spares etc, there is another thread on TBHP where the feedback is different in terms of spares availability and the logistics and time taken in getting required spares. And GM Service in India is not generally renowned for its efficiency/care.

Suggest you weigh this up carefully before you plunge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Guna,

A Forester is a great buy, apart from its badging its just a Subaru 4wd. Its a great Compact SUV to buy.

Go ahead and buy it, prices vary depending on the condition its been kept in. For a neatly maintained Forester you can pay anywhere between 5 lacs upto 6.50 lacs, not more than that.

Chevy still services these cars here in Bangalore, so no worry about spares and services.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th August 2008 at 16:01.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Suggest you weigh this up carefully before you plunge!
I was trying to get a finance for it and realised that it has almost lived the 'life term' banks consider for financing a car! Now it feels very old eventhought it has done only 28K. I am reconsidering and started thinking whether it is worth all the trouble.
A service adviser from GM also puts the value at 4-5 lakhs.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

I can appreciate this fact. This product has gone past its product life cycle and therefore banks etc will hesitate to finance it now.

It is after all a 5 + year old vehicle (give or take), which was never all that popular in the first place and now, to top it off, has been completely phased out/ discontinued.

I would not recommend the other route - financing it via Personal Loan - that would be a killer in terms of rate of interest etc and would not be worth it at all when coupled with the running costs and spares etc etc.
The Forester unfortunately was never renowned for its FE - at best it used to return about 6-7 kmpl (Petrol) in normal city use with AC.

Now, may I suggest that since you appear to be thinking of an used vehicle at a budget of around 4-5 lacs, why not consider an used Scorpio 2.6 Regular Non Crde Turbo?

This will easily meet the "SUV" requirement that you evidently have, coupled with numerous advantages like being Diesel Driven, very reliable, extremely tough and rugged, easily repairable and serviceable when needed, backed by a decent service network,low running costs and of course a more or less even re-sale value. Getting finance for an used Scorpio also is quite easy since its proven itself to be a good bet.

You may want to think on it a bit!

all the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I was trying to get a finance for it and realised that it has almost lived the 'life term' banks consider for financing a car! Now it feels very old eventhought it has done only 28K. I am reconsidering and started thinking whether it is worth all the trouble.
A service adviser from GM also puts the value at 4-5 lakhs.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th August 2008 at 16:50.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi reji,

Thanks for the prompt response.

> So far I have had no service problems with the GM fellows.

> had to pay 12,000 for my 30,000km service due to change of brake pads.

Was it a mandatory change?

> For 40,000km I expect it to be about Rs.10,000 as all the transmission oils

It does seem to be on the higher side, but the car is truly a gem.

What is the fuel efficiency?

I can still picture five of us (4 of family and the sales guy) going down a hill at the end of the sea port airport road. The climb up was superb as it was just ruts. My family sitting at the back thoroughly enjoyed it.

Petrol with an asking price of 13L was out of my budget then.
Old 25th August 2008, 20:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Now, may I suggest that since you appear to be thinking of an used vehicle at a budget of around 4-5 lacs, why not consider an used Scorpio 2.6 Regular Non Crde Turbo?
Hi Shankar
I am not really looking for a used car with certain budget as such. I always admired Forester but did not consider buying it when it was on sale. Of course the new one was expensive as well.
I like the concept of a wagon (with all the car attributes) with slightly raised suspension and 4WD. I am not fan a of typical SUVs.

-Guna
Closed Thread