Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 12th January 2011, 16:29   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Good price for a used Forester

Forester owners don't easily let it go. I know a MD of certain group of companies who owns a luxury SUV now but still doest want to sell the Forester, even while he is not using it. If you are looking for a vehicle which is really taken care of well, be ready to pay a premium.
There is a notion that Foresters have poor resale value and hence very easy to buy in the used car market, but it is not quite true.
Old 12th January 2011, 20:54   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Forester owners don't easily let it go. I know a MD of certain group of companies who owns a luxury SUV now but still doest want to sell the Forester, even while he is not using it. If you are looking for a vehicle which is really taken care of well, be ready to pay a premium.
There is a notion that Foresters have poor resale value and hence very easy to buy in the used car market, but it is not quite true.
Well using simple economics, the supply is not very high and neither is the demand. This leads me to believe that the price is slightly inflated.
And I agree when you say that I should expect to pay a premium for a well maintained car. So instead of buying a cheaper not so good example, I'd rather wait a few more months until my dad is willing to let me buy a slightly more expensive one. (Besides, I drove about 20 KM's in the Corsa today. It's good fun, so I'm no hurry!)
Old 12th January 2011, 22:37   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
And I agree when you say that I should expect to pay a premium for a well maintained car. So instead of buying a cheaper not so good example, I'd rather wait a few more months until my dad is willing to let me buy a slightly more expensive one. (Besides, I drove about 20 KM's in the Corsa today. It's good fun, so I'm no hurry!)
You may be aware that they introduced a slightly upgraded version in 05 which was called MY05 edition. This version came with upgraded interiors (I believe it feels spacious too due to thinner(?) upholstery), new 3 spoke steering (which is quicker) and upgraded ABS. This should be the one to look for.
Old 12th January 2011, 22:45   #124
BHPian

Quote:
You may be aware that they introduced a slightly upgraded version in 05 which was called MY05 edition. This version came with upgraded interiors (I believe it feels spacious too due to thinner(?) upholstery), new 3 spoke steering (which is quicker) and upgraded ABS. This should be the one to look for.
Actually, I was not! Looks like I need to do more research, but there isn't much info available about the Forester in India. When in 2005 was it introduced? And wasn't '05 the last year that it was available. Odd that GM would introduce a new model and then discontinue it.
Old 13th January 2011, 15:52   #125
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On a lighter note: I guess they may have sold all the 3 demo units (at major discounts)they imported before then closed down sales of the forester.

Seriously it's going to be hard to maintain and waiting even more for getting the hands on one, imples and even lesser usable serviceable life time. It's time is running out. (Reminds me of the Standard Rover 2000 story at one level.)
Old 13th January 2011, 16:13   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, I was not! Looks like I need to do more research, but there isn't much info available about the Forester in India. When in 2005 was it introduced? And wasn't '05 the last year that it was available. Odd that GM would introduce a new model and then discontinue it.
2005 MY edition was sold starting from Sept 04 or so. I hear that there are few cars which were sold in 06 (I know one owner in Bangalore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
On a lighter note: I guess they may have sold all the 3 demo units (at major discounts)they imported before then closed down sales of the forester.

Seriously it's going to be hard to maintain and waiting even more for getting the hands on one, imples and even lesser usable serviceable life time. It's time is running out. (Reminds me of the Standard Rover 2000 story at one level.)
GM has sold around 500 units. Sourcing a parts for Forester is not going to be more difficult then any other CBU as the parts are still produced (and will be for many years unlike European manufacturers) by Subaru and GM service will get it for you (I have ordered parts without any problem).
Forester is a cult car and has a huge community to help with almost any technical issues SubaruForester.org

Last edited by Guna : 13th January 2011 at 16:19.
Old 13th January 2011, 17:53   #127
BHPian

I am with you Guna,forester definitely is a great car & can surprise you the way it can perform on & off road,spares was never a problem & never will be,maintenance is as affordable as the competitors,you cannot get a better car for 5 to 7 lakh range,if possible look for the 2005 my edition,
Old 15th January 2011, 14:28   #128
BHPian

Quote:

The Forester's story is no where close to that of the Std Rover. (Only thing in common is that neither of them did well.) Primarily because it's a car that did very well all across the world. Which is why importing parts is never going to be a problem. Parts are dirt cheap for any internationally sold car in Thailand, and I can make arrangements in a worst case scenario.

Quote:
Sourcing a parts for Forester is not going to be more difficult then any other CBU as the parts are still produced (and will be for many years unlike European manufacturers) by Subaru and GM service will get it for you (I have ordered parts without any problem).
Forester is a cult car and has a huge community to help with almost any technical issues SubaruForester.org

I know that GM will supply the parts. But how badly will they rip you off? I get exorbitant quotes for parts for my Corsa and then find the part outside for a fraction.

The cult car status is the point I was trying to make to ACM. Even if the parts availability is a problem locally, it will always be available everywhere else.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:22   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that GM will supply the parts. But how badly will they rip you off? I get exorbitant quotes for parts for my Corsa and then find the part outside for a fraction.
As long as these are small parts, I think they are reasonable. I had ordered things like neutral switch and coin tray and I got them for almost the same price as they have been listed internationally.
But it could be a different story if the parts a large (like a windscreen, a bumper or a suspension arm) as probably these would attract 60% duty apart from high shipping costs involved?
Old 17th January 2011, 19:13   #130
BHPian

Quote:
As long as these are small parts, I think they are reasonable. I had ordered things like neutral switch and coin tray and I got them for almost the same price as they have been listed internationally.
But it could be a different story if the parts a large (like a windscreen, a bumper or a suspension arm) as probably these would attract 60% duty apart from high shipping costs involved?
Hmm.. So I guess for the smaller parts I can rely on GM. And for larger ones, make once a year trips to get parts for both my cars from Thailand. The motor markets there are very cheap! Naturally this isn't the most practical situations, so I can use international websites. End conclusion being that it is very much a do-able proposition.
Old 18th January 2011, 13:09   #131
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Just for the record:

GM launched Cheverolet Forester in India in March 2003 and sold 52 units that year followed by 179 in 2004. The products was already dying down in terms of sales in India by then and the company introduced a newer improved variant in 2005 but that did not boost sales. Also the same year they introduced the Tavera which did quite well and the company then focused on it. Since from 2005 the figures available for sales in that segment were combined with that of the Tavera so am not aware of the final (last) figures for the Forester in India.

Forester though a global success as the subaru was a major failure in India. Have in one of the earlier posts joked about just the 3 demo units of the revised 2005 forester selling and hence there not being many of that variant being available in India. This thread deserves to have the actual figures for forester sales in 2005 so that we have a final total figure.

Parts procurement through normal means will be hard, and I just don't think the effort is worth it. Even the Merc E250 and E220 from 1996-1998 period sold more and would be cheaper to maintain in the long run due to easily available parts in the official, grey, international and chor bazzar.

Some might say that the true value of this car can only be appreciated with a drive in it, but then there are a lot of -ves as well.
Old 18th January 2011, 13:41   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just for the record:

GM launched Cheverolet Forester in India in March 2003 and sold 52 units that year followed by 179 in 2004. The products was already dying down in terms of sales in India by then and the company introduced a newer improved variant in 2005 but that did not boost sales. Also the same year they introduced the Tavera which did quite well and the company then focused on it. Since from 2005 the figures available for sales in that segment were combined with that of the Tavera so am not aware of the final (last) figures for the Forester in India.
According to this source, GM sold just 260 cars till 2005. You can add negligible numbers (may be 4-5) in 2006.
Indian Motor Vehicles - knowIndia.net
ACM, yes there are many negatives and this is not a ideal vehicle which can be your practical, everyday car. But if the values and qualities Forester offers (which are very unique) appeal to a buyer, then it is a very attractive, niche, (probably, a second) car. This is a car for those buy with their heart and not with their mind.

Last edited by Guna : 18th January 2011 at 13:42.
Old 18th January 2011, 18:51   #133
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you are looking for a vehicle which is really taken care of well, be ready to pay a premium.
Don't know if Bangalore is any different, but good luck to any Forester owner asking for a premium in Bombay. Forget premium, finding a buyer is hard enough. A parsi-owned Forester with 30,000 - 40,000 kms (don't remember exact number) went for less than 3 lakhs. And that's AFTER MONTHS on the block.

Quote:
Sourcing a parts for Forester is not going to be more difficult then any other CBU as the parts are still produced
The tough part is also finding quality labour that understands the Forester. With CBUs such as the Mercs & BMWs, atleast the authorised service stations serve as a last retort. Not so with GM authorised (again, not in Bbay atleast).

I've seen what the Forester's AWD system can do and am mighty impressed. Equally, I don't think too much of the petrol engine (especially response at low rpms). Unless you absolutely need the AWD, there are much better options in the used market for the lay enthusiast.
Old 19th January 2011, 10:25   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've seen what the Forester's AWD system can do and am mighty impressed. Equally, I don't think too much of the petrol engine (especially response at low rpms). Unless you absolutely need the AWD, there are much better options in the used market for the lay enthusiast.
I agree. If someone is looking for a on-road performance on good roads, there are better options.
Low response is something one needs to get used to (which feels horrible in the beginning until one gets used to keep it on the boil). But if you keep it above 2000 rpm, the engine feels very torqy and responsive enough.
Even on the highways, there could be few sedans which are better but I find the Forester to be way more stable and flat then, say, a ANHC.
Old 19th January 2011, 14:49   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Parts procurement through normal means will be hard, and I just don't think the effort is worth it. Even the Merc E250 and E220 from 1996-1998 period sold more and would be cheaper to maintain in the long run due to easily available parts in the official, grey, international and chor bazzar.
Hey the W124 is not hard to maintain at all. Parts are available all over the place. I have one!

Quote:
ACM, yes there are many negatives and this is not a ideal vehicle which can be your practical, everyday car. But if the values and qualities Forester offers (which are very unique) appeal to a buyer, then it is a very attractive, niche, (probably, a second) car. This is a car for those buy with their heart and not with their mind.
You seem to be hinting at more problems than just parts?
Closed Thread