Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 14:13   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Scorpio/ Tavera/ Gurkha which one is the beast for me

Hi

Folks I have been doing a bit of research on which M/SUV I need to buy. It was then that I came upon this site and I learnt a fair amount from the threads that I have read. I wanted to see if I can get some advice from the team to help me in my attempt to finalise my decision.

My driving over the lifetime of the vehicle will be as follows

70% of the time - City Driving : This will constitute 30% of miles covered
20% of the time - Highway and village ( rough roads)- This will constitue 60% of the distance covered
10% of the time - Steep incline and off roads- 10% of expected distance covered ( I have a farm which has a 150 m steep rocky incline and also want to do some himalaya based off raoding)

I was evaluating Scorpio/Safari/ Tavera/ Innova

I rejected the Safari as 6&7 Passenger comfort is v poor. Tavera I heard is underpowered, Innova is suspect on rough roads and so I narrowed onto the SLE CRDE or the VLS MHawk Scorpios. Then I stumbled on this site:

With more knowledge and more exposure comes more confusion. Afeter reading a lot of threads by rnnss, monster... I have now a fresh set of questions and want to pose it to you for some more info:

1a> How is the Gurkha 4WD for city and highway - both for driving and rear passenger comfort
1b> Monster how has been your experience after buying this ( assuming you have)
1c> How is the reliability of the Gurkha
( Plus factors seems to look good, cheaper than Scorpio and off raoding capbility built in)


2> Can a Petes tuning box catapult the Tavera into a MUV to look at. I am assuming there must be a box for the Isuzu Panther( if someone could point it out to me)
Can the Tavera apart from its engine power handle rough roads and steep inclines and off roads
( Seems to be good on higways and has good built)

3> Between the CRDE 2.6 engine based SLE and MHawk VLs Scorpio, given that both chassis have now fine tuned suspensions and both rides are now smoother are there any compelling reasons to go for the MHawk ( I dont care about the VLX features though ABS entices)
I have seen Scorpio 2WD do some steep climbing on the Leh Ladakh road through landslides so not sure if I woudl look for a 4*4 option here. Besides would be too expy

Apologies for the long Qs but would appreciate your wisdom on it.
pschizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 16:05   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

i can help you in the scorpio aspect. first of all, the VLS comes with ABS but the SLE doesnt. second reason to favour the VLS is that its suspension is retuned for the better than the SLE. third reason is, the mHAWK engine is much lighter and hence more fuel efficient than the CRDe. and the last reason is, it is always better to invest in latest and better technologies!!!
i suggest you avoid the tavera. i have worked on it and its suspension is prone to maintainence.
consider the gurkha if and only if off roading is your priority. its an absoulte no-no in terms of comfort.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 16:44   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

i second Raj's comment that VLS Scorpio is probably your best bet right now in terms of SUV - provided you ve got the budget.

The Scorpio is great for City use because it has compact proportions and its steering is very light, making it a good choice for daily drive.
It has a much more refined engine in this 2.2 MHAWK variant.

Its suspension and ride has been re-adjusted/re-tuned. It is reliable, good for highway driving and excellent on steep inclines etc.
It is tough and can go a little off road and definitely can handle bad roads with ease.

Its braking etc is very good because of ABS.
You dont need the bells and whistles which come with the VLX because most of these according to me are superfluous.

But you would do well to check the latest scene at the local dealership - because they are offering a hefty 91000 Rs off on VLX variant - probably to bump up sales, because it is quite clear that most people have understood the value of the VLS as the alternative of choice!

Innova is definitely suspect on bad roads though it is extremely comfortable. Its proportions are huge making it a pain in the city but it drives just like a car, which off sets the huge proportions.

Tavera though comfortable is a no no except for Taxi / People mover category. It is simply not in the same class as the Scorpio VLS.



Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i can help you in the scorpio aspect. first of all, the VLS comes with ABS but the SLE doesnt. second reason to favour the VLS is that its suspension is retuned for the better than the SLE. third reason is, the mHAWK engine is much lighter and hence more fuel efficient than the CRDe. and the last reason is, it is always better to invest in latest and better technologies!!!
i suggest you avoid the tavera. i have worked on it and its suspension is prone to maintainence.
consider the gurkha if and only if off roading is your priority. its an absoulte no-no in terms of comfort.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th August 2008 at 16:58.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 16:56   #4
BHPian
 
Rotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 933
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

I second the decision on scorpio. Firstly since most of your driving is in city conditions and scorpio can take on a little bit of offroading as well, secondly tavera is considered more of a taxi and probably its not as comfortable as the scorpio, thirdly the mhawk is a great engine with better grunt than tavera, and finally innova is defenitely not for any other condition than city driving. Personally given a choice and if i was limited only to city driving then i would go for the innova simply because of the great toyota engine and it is pretty comfortable too.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:00   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

I third the decision on Scorpio. It suits to naought to your requirement you have specified. Got for it.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:27   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

Scorpio if you want comfort in the city
Gurkha if you want off roading
Tavera a big no no for both

So on the basis of your post
Scorpio seams the best bet(fulfils 60% of the miles and the 30% easily)
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:52   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,798
Thanked: 745 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschizo View Post
..... so I narrowed onto the SLE CRDE or the VLS MHawk Scorpios.
1a> How is the Gurkha 4WD for city and highway - both for driving and rear passenger comfort
1b> Monster how has been your experience after buying this ( assuming you have)
1c> How is the reliability of the Gurkha
( Plus factors seems to look good, cheaper than Scorpio and off raoding capbility built in)....

3> Between the CRDE 2.6 engine based SLE and MHawk VLs Scorpio, given that both chassis have now fine tuned suspensions and both rides are now smoother are there any compelling reasons to go for the MHawk
You can get a Pete's box for the 2.6L and blow the feathers off the MHawk. No Pete's box for the MHawk yet , I believe, and it took a long time for them to make one for the 2.6L. Gurkha? Do a search here and read up on it. There may be a new version coming out shortly with the Mercedes OM611 motor, a real thumper, but Force seems not to want to do business. They do not market this great machine and they do not get booked orders out to buyers.

From your post I would say a 2.6L Scorpio 4x4 would be a fit for you.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 26th August 2008 at 17:54.
DirtyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:53   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks guys. So we are saying Gurkha is not a good city and highway vehicle/

Shankar great input on the VLX deep discounts i will try and check out on this immdly

thx
pschizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:58   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschizo View Post
Thanks guys. So we are saying Gurkha is not a good city and highway vehicle/

Shankar great input on the VLX deep discounts i will try and check out on this immdly

thx
I think they are giving around Rs.91K as discounts (in various forms) in Bangalore. Hope the same is in Mumbai.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 11:15   #10
BHPian
 
mansidea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You can get a Pete's box for the 2.6L and blow the feathers off the MHawk. No Pete's box for the MHawk yet , I believe, and it took a long time for them to make one for the 2.6L.
Petes do have boxes for both CRDe & the mHawk.
mansidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 11:38   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
manson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,548
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default

Eyes shut, just buy the highest trim Scorpio that you are comfortable with, you just cannot go wrong with one. Off late, i have been in awe of the longevity of components, and the car as a whole.
I have done almost 90,000 kms, and touch wood, i have not had any part failures other than the usual consumables. Its been due for a clutch change since a long time now, but i have just had the time for that, as the Scorpio is in use almost every single day.

Four years, and almost 90,000 kms, the Scorpio has gone through all of this without any niggles. Lately there's been some creaking in the front suspension, and some bearin noise, but the rugged roads that i do very often, most other vehciles would have no suspension left to make any off noises.
Let me know if you have any specific questions on the scorpio, i most probably may have an idea.

manson.
manson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 12:11   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

great endorsement manson!
Agree totally to what you say about buying it in the highest trim available/ affordable. But I would also say that the VLS is better value than the VLX given what it has in it and its cost vs benefit ratio.

I am also a firm believer in Mahindra vehicle's reliability/ durability/ longevity/ toughness.

why not add your vehicle pics to the Scorp Pictures thread like the rest of us have. If you have already done so, Im sorry I must have missed it.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Eyes shut, just buy the highest trim Scorpio that you are comfortable with, you just cannot go wrong with one. Off late, i have been in awe of the longevity of components, and the car as a whole.
I have done almost 90,000 kms, and touch wood, i have not had any part failures other than the usual consumables. Its been due for a clutch change since a long time now, but i have just had the time for that, as the Scorpio is in use almost every single day.

Four years, and almost 90,000 kms, the Scorpio has gone through all of this without any niggles. Lately there's been some creaking in the front suspension, and some bearin noise, but the rugged roads that i do very often, most other vehciles would have no suspension left to make any off noises.
Let me know if you have any specific questions on the scorpio, i most probably may have an idea.

manson.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 12:35   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

my pleasure pschizo

according to my understanding the prices of Scorpio ex showroom Mumbai and Bangalore are pretty much similar.

Ive now checked for you with my pal in Vijai Auto Bangalore and the discounts are like this:
Scorpio VLX - BLR Earlier price Current price saving
ex showroom 1,009,485 985000 24485
rt 155461 140000 15461
insurance 39668 26470 13198
roof ac incl incl 30000 optional
extended warranty 9999 0 9999 optional
on road 1249962 1188069 61893 effective discount

Sorry about this but I dont know how to paste an excel sheet onto this so I copied/pasted it via text file.
but the data is there for you to see.
Now you will realize that actually you save only 53000 odd bucks.

However, if you decide to OPT OUT of EXTENDED WARRANTY you save another 10 grand and again, if you opt out of the roof AC for the rear side passengers, you save another 30 grand.

This is how they are able to advertise the Deep Discount of 91000-93000/- in BLR. In all such advertisements please never forget that all manufacturers hedge their bets legally by putting a tiny little asterisk and saying "conditions apply" and this is perfectly legal since they are the sellers.

Plse check with the dealer in Bombay because Im not sure and nor is my pal, whether this deal is operational there also.

Based on all this research/ feedback, my sincere suggestion is that you attack them for a VLS Scorpio and push them as hard as you can for some kind of a discount:
You can ask for loyalty bonus 20grand (push them a bit)
Corporate Discount - 10grand (again push them a bit)
Opt out of Standard Accessories which will cost you about 30 grand or so- add those accessories after market by yourself at a considerable saving.
Push them a bit for reduced rate of Insurance - and definitely INVOKE your No Claim bonus from your earlier vehicle to save some more.

If you push a bit, I am sure you will strike a deal which you are happy with.
Best of luck and cheerscheers:


Quote:
Originally Posted by pschizo View Post
Thanks guys. So we are saying Gurkha is not a good city and highway vehicle/

Shankar great input on the VLX deep discounts i will try and check out on this immdly

thx

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th August 2008 at 12:47.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 12:40   #14
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

As per your list go for the Scorpio without further any thoughts
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:12   #15
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
As per your list go for the Scorpio without further any thoughts

with the kind of useage Scorp suits the bill.

As far as Tavera and Gurkha are concerned, it suits well for a taxi segment.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which SUV New Scorpio, NY Tavera-L2 or Innova-G pkp SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 24 13th June 2008 11:50
Chennai to vizag (1928 kms) on my new Beast! (EDIT: Beast=Fiesta 1.6 zxi Petrol) gopal.putrevu Travelogues 19 18th April 2008 13:35
Second hand qualis ,tavera or scorpio rahul_intlad SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 24 1st November 2006 13:32
Innova / Tavera / Scorpio prince_alex SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 40 15th June 2006 14:22
Tavera or Scorpio Rayden SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 9 29th March 2006 10:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks