Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 15th November 2008, 10:11   #31
BHPian

Let me just spruce the thread a little more here.

Option 3:

3.0 Dicor VX
32000 kms done
can buy this beast for 625k - 640k

The only reason I am considering a second hand buy is the second hand comes with the alloy wheels and ICE for which i would be spending 60-75k extra, which makes the new 2.2 LX at 8.5 lakhs.

Can somebody let me know if the FE of 3.0 and 2.2 VTT the same?
kbalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 10:17   #32
BHPian

And I intend to keep this car for 3 years...
Old 15th November 2008, 12:22   #33
BHPian

I am sorry. OTR for Safari LX 2.2 VTT in chennai after discount is 8.20 lakhs. I went there to book the car and came back now.

My sincere apologies for providing wrong information. I will make sure this never happens again.
Old 8th December 2008, 01:43   #34

Default Safari 3.0 dicor or 2.2 VTT dicor ?

Folks, I know I am reviving a thread which is a little over 2 weeks old, but my question is very relevant to this discussion here.

I was offered a similar deal but it was on the 2.2 VTT lying unused in the stockyard.

Suggestions on asking for discounts (as an approximate percentage of the sticker price) on this offer are most welcome.

Can anybody please help me understand why do we need to stay away from stock lying idle in the stockyard?
Pardon my ignorance in this regard.
allenzaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 11:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenzaracer View Post
Folks, I know I am reviving a thread which is a little over 2 weeks old, but my question is very relevant to this discussion here.

I was offered a similar deal but it was on the 2.2 VTT lying unused in the stockyard.

Suggestions on asking for discounts (as an approximate percentage of the sticker price) on this offer are most welcome.

Can anybody please help me understand why do we need to stay away from stock lying idle in the stockyard?
The 2.2VTT has been moving quite well and usually has a small waiting period as well. In this scenario, I would be very wary of an unused one lying in the stockyard and being offered at a discount. There has to be something behind this. Just speculating but it could be a vehicle which got damaged in transit and was repaired by the dealer. So do a thorough check before going forward with this.
Strangerintown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 11:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:

Since the Safari 2.2 VTT is selling very well compared to the 3.0, I dont estimate the car to have been in the stockyard for long unless, the color was not prefferred by the buyers. Remember to get the accesories of mats, mud flaps and rear step. Beat up a good discount at this point in time with different dealers. You could peg offers of one against another.

Happy reclaiming!!!
Old 15th December 2008, 15:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How long is it lying in stockyard ? You can find the manufacturing date from Chassis number there is a standard way to find year and month of manufacture from Chassis number.
As 2.2 is moving quite fast and Safari does not come in some outlandish color which no one would like a new vehicle in stockyard raises some doubts. A proper inspection of vehicle is a must to find if it is not a damaged and repaired vehicle at dealership.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 08:44   #38
BHPian

hi tabrez02, what has been the end result of your find. did you buy 2.2 or 3.0 let us know?
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 01:58   #39

Default Safari 3.0 dicor or 2.2 VTT dicor ?

@amitk26
Its an Oct 2007 mfg model and the color is Passion Red.
I will get the VIN soon if somebody here can help me decode it.

@kbalii
The dealer is offering 60k discount. Do you think I should be looking at a larger discount? If yes, any suggestions on the price points will prove useful to me.

@Strangerintown
I have personally visited the stockyard the other day and checked for any signs on the exterior and the passenger compartment areas. Peeked under the hood with the engine switched on. Checked the noise levels and compared with some of the other new stock lying around.
Checked for any oil leakages during the whole process even after the engine was switched off. Even all the connectors and terminals looked alright with no signs of tampering in the engine compartment. Could not find anything suspicious except for a little improper finish on the right side of the top surface of the grille. This will be visib;e only when you lift the bonnet. I will try and visit tomorrow once again to capture a few snaps for you all to be able to advice me on this.

Can you please let me know what all do I need to check for during a closer inspection?
And how do I know if any internal component is repaired?
allenzaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 11:41   #40

JUST GET THE 2.2 IT IS REALLY GOOD, the resale value for these cars are really bad, I have always owned a safari, my previous safari had clocked 4 lakh Km and i gave it away for 1.5 lakhs. now i have picked up a 2.2. It is not the price that you have to look at between the two models, one is older the other is the latest with all now features and a hell of a lot of improvement. if you get the 2007 model you loose about 35% to may be 40% on resale the minuit you get the car out of the showroom. if you get the 2.2 you will loose about 25% the minuit you get the car out of the show room. so when you calculate it, it is better you loose less on the 2.2, it is the latest engine, latest manufactured, improved breaking, good suspension, and a lot of sensors, etcetc
So go blindly and get the Dicore 2.2

Note: I know what it is to sell a used safari it is hell
arunkvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 15:59   #41
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkvc View Post
I have always owned a safari, my previous safari had clocked 4 lakh Km
How well did the engine held itself up? When was it last overhauled? Would be very very interesting to hear it all from you
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
@amitk26
Its an Oct 2007 mfg model and the color is Passion Red.
I will get the VIN soon if somebody here can help me decode it.

@kbalii
The dealer is offering 60k discount. Do you think I should be looking at a larger discount? If yes, any suggestions on the price points will prove useful to me.
Ideally, the car depreciates like 1.5 Lakh in the first year. You should ideally look into this as a discount if you are looking at a LX model. (Am I greedy?) Actually it would be 2 years old in like 10 days. Give that a thought.

Check with New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com for prices of 0 kms driven vehicles.

You need not be worried about any tampering as a dealer would not do that. If that is done it would be evident in another service station. Most likely it would not have been tampered with.
Old 29th December 2008, 12:56   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
How well did the engine held itself up? When was it last overhauled? Would be very very interesting to hear it all from you
I did up the engine at 3.5 lakh and then did about a 50 K and then sold it. once the engine of a safari is opened it will never work as original
arunkvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 14:35   #44
BANNED

Quote:
I did up the engine at 3.5 lakh and then did about a 50 K and then sold it. once the engine of a safari is opened it will never work as original
Wow, 3.50 lac kms, and is that not a total paisa vasool.

Nice to know about your 2 ltr Safari long term ownership.

Could we have the pic of that beast, which has humbly served you all these years and miles.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 15:17   #45
BHPian

Quote:
WOW. Does Tata know about this? They might have a case study to write and a lot of endurance to showcase.

You should consider yourself to be Ultra lucky or super devotional for the ride to have stayed that way.