Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 30th December 2008, 11:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalii View Post
WOW. Does Tata know about this? They might have a case study to write and a lot of endurance to showcase.

You should consider yourself to be Ultra lucky or super devotional for the ride to have stayed that way.
Not too much surprised at Safari 2.0 Engine lasting that long , A lot many old Sumos from mid 90s are still on road running as taxis and accumulating miles.

One question how did you clock so many KMs in a non taxi vehicle ? I guess you are in to some business such as construction/ farm/quarry or mining involving lots of travel with in 200 - 500 KM on daily basis.

Regards
Amit
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 11:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WOW. Does Tata know about this? They might have a case study to write and a lot of endurance to showcase.

You should consider yourself to be Ultra lucky or super devotional for the ride to have stayed that way.
There are enough number of older TCICs that have done that kind of mileage and are still running around. My cousin's '98 TCIC is still running around at 400,000. Nothing very surprising about that and I'm sure Tata know about it from their service records.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 12:25   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
There are enough number of older TCICs that have done that kind of mileage and are still running around. My cousin's '98 TCIC is still running around at 400,000. Nothing very surprising about that and I'm sure Tata know about it from their service records.
Oops... never knew that the TCIC engine could do 350,000 kms without an overhaul. But I guess i learnt it now.

I was under the impression that they would not be able to do more than 150,000 kms without an overhaul. A couple of safari owners did overhaul at 150,000 as they lost on compression bigtime. That was what I was aware of.

400,000 kms without an overhaul? and that can be categorised normal?
kbalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 12:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was under the impression that they would not be able to do more than 150,000 kms without an overhaul.
I've had my liners replaced at 60k, so yes there are exceptions (in my case, there are various other issues like the powerbox being connected even while in heavy traffic which resulted in continuous high temperatures).

There are a couple of other members here who have completed 300k+ kms on the TCIC without rebuilds, so Arun and my cousin are not alone.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 12:56   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

There are a couple of other members here who have completed 300k+ kms on the TCIC without rebuilds, so Arun and my cousin are not alone.
I guess thats one BIG reason the TCIC option still stands in the safari.
kbalii is offline   Reply With Quote