Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 16th September 2008, 19:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculez View Post
Does the Tyre pressure make a difference. I maintain 32 in all 4 tyres!
Yes, absolutely it makes a difference! There is an extreme variation in the readings between air gages in India. One gage will say 30 another will say 35 on the same tyre. This is something you should pursue. Find out what pressure is recommended for the tyre, then find someplace with an accurate gage. If you have a computerized alignment place near you, they usually have an accurate gage. Then, too, Michelins can take 2-4lbs more than recommended and run a little better. It stiffins up the sidewalls and can make your Scorpio handle a little better, too, not roll so much on turns, curves. Do not be afraid to experiment with air pressure just a little bit. Four pounds will not have any effect on safety but it may solve your FE problem. Please note, I am only specifying a very slight increase (Here come the arguments.)

But first, find a believable gage.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 19:58   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Yes, absolutely it makes a difference! There is an extreme variation in the readings between air gages in India. One gage will say 30 another will say 35 on the same tyre. This is something you should pursue.

Find out what pressure is recommended for the tyre, then find someplace with an accurate gage. If you have a computerized alignment place near you, they usually have an accurate gage.

Do not be afraid to experiment with air pressure just a little bit. Four pounds will not have any effect on safety but it may solve your FE problem. Please note, I am only specifying a very slight increase .
on all 3 points, on computerized guages try to find a relatively new install, which will give you most accurate reading. IIRC these equipments need to be recalibrated every year.

Heavier the vehicle more the effect of low psi reading on FE, due to more drag.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 20:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
It seems, I could not explain properly what I wanted to know.. In the 4 tank fulls I did I got a FE of 9.88 kmpl but in the 5th tank-full the vehicle returned a FE of 10.50 kmpl.

All the driving parameters were same for all of the tankfulls and no changes or servicing of the vehicle has been done.

All I wanted to know was due to what the FE showed an increase? The fuel was and is always filled from the same bunk.
gd, I would not even presume that the fuel we fill from the same bunk is identical at each fill! 9.88 and 10.5 is too small a difference to really worry about. Just enjoy the drive!
I am not commenting on any of the FE threads simply because we are a free-for-all country!! You can never be sure what you're getting where; and no one is there to give you proper documentation/specifications!
Do watch the tyre pressure - about the only thing you CAN control!
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 21:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculez View Post
Does the Tyre pressure make a difference. I maintain 32 in all 4 tyres!
Here are the correct tyre pressures for the scorpio (the pressures mentioned are for stock bridgstone dueler H/T 235/75/r15):

Scorpio FE was miserable!-16092008068.jpg
badboyscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 22:19   #50
BHPian

My old Scorpio 2.6 GLX Non-CRDe gave me a phenomenal 15.2KMPL (I logged every KM and every drop of fuel that I burnt) on a Bangalore-Munnar-Kochi-Bangalore trip back in early 2006. Normal diesel only from BP and speeds between 90-100. Only once did I push the truck to about 130+ for about 10-15KM. In city the truck always returned 11KMPL and the worst in city has been around 9.8KMPL.
Unfortunately I've sold the truck :(

Reading this post makes me wonder why you guys are getting such dismal mileage that too with CRDe tech.
madhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 11:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
My old Scorpio 2.6 GLX Non-CRDe gave me a phenomenal 15.2KMPL (I logged every KM and every drop of fuel that I burnt) on a Bangalore-Munnar-Kochi-Bangalore trip back in early 2006. Normal diesel only from BP and speeds between 90-100. Only once did I push the truck to about 130+ for about 10-15KM. In city the truck always returned 11KMPL and the worst in city has been around 9.8KMPL.
Unfortunately I've sold the truck :(

Reading this post makes me wonder why you guys are getting such dismal mileage that too with CRDe tech.
From what I have read, understood and experienced about the 2.6 Crde trucks, the average is not above 11.5 on the Highways and sub 10 in cities. Yours is a dream figure, wonder what gave you such high FE, in city 11 is too good to be true.

It would be interesting to know how you calculated the mileage.

--Ramky
========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 11:53   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Moleculez - it is very clear from from photographs of post 33 on page 3 that mass flow will be affected. PLEASE REVERT TO PRODUCTION AIR CLEANER IMMEDIATELY IF NOT DONE SO UPTO NOW.

Also please give photograph of the tailpipe end. Is it sooty carbon? I would believe so.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 12:56   #53
Senior - BHPian

Sir Behram Dhabhar, What if one wants to install K&N in the scorpio? There should be a method of doing the same.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 13:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

wondering whether Im over filling air - I ve been using 32 Psi all round as per whats written on my door. vehicle is not "Laden" totally - but I do keep a lot of stuff inside it at all times, including my old wheels as ballast.
any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Here are the correct tyre pressures for the scorpio (the pressures mentioned are for stock bridgstone dueler H/T 235/75/r15):

Attachment 50576
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 13:04   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir Behram Dhabhar, What if one wants to install K&N in the scorpio? There should be a method of doing the same.
Yes technicalitie Behram might be able to explain, but my 2 cents worth:

Unless you find something which was specifically designed for an engine, DO NOT waste your money with air filters. Thats why all these guys advertise replacement filter.

egs: Esteem replacement filter will give you a better performance compared to universal k&n install. Personal experience.

Air filter if not properly designed and fitted will always impact performance in the NEGATIVE.

Very few people including dealers and customers will accept it and run after the placebo effect.
Old 18th September 2008, 13:05   #56
Senior - BHPian

Shankar, this has intrigued me to no end. Mind satisfying the curiosity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
but I do keep a lot of stuff inside it at all times, including my old wheels as ballast.
any ideas?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 13:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Unless you find something which was specifically designed for an engine, DO NOT waste your money with air filters. Thats why all these guys advertise replacement filter.

Air filter if not properly designed and fitted will always impact performance in the NEGATIVE.

Very few people including dealers and customers will accept it and run after the placebo effect.
I agree with you on the above, BUT, there is a way to install custom air intakes into engines to get the desired positive results, Else there would be no tuners in our country or around the world!

I've installed custom intakes in my E-Zen and Gypsy to have positive effects, but filter was not the only component changed! There was a design to change some components from intake to exhaust, in order words, make the engine BREATHE better and PERFORM better!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 13:31   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I've installed custom intakes in my E-Zen and Gypsy to have positive effects, but filter was not the only component changed! There was a design to change some components from intake to exhaust, in order words, make the engine BREATHE better and PERFORM better!
precisely my point, just plonking in a jazzy expensive brand air filter will not work. You will have to work out lot of other things, from your intake pipe, inlet points, headers etc etc which is sadly missing in most of the installs, even by reputed "tuners" here in india.

If its a diesel engine, its a horror story!
Old 18th September 2008, 13:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
wondering whether Im over filling air - I ve been using 32 Psi all round as per whats written on my door. vehicle is not "Laden" totally
any ideas?
The pic i posted is snap of the OE tyre pressure placard seen on the driver side door of my 2003 scorpio non-crde and it runs on 15 inch wheels. i guess the difference is because of the 16 inch wheels of your scorpio.

can you please post a snap of the tyre pressure placard on ur scorp's door?

BTW, does anyone have any idea about how much air should i fill in the goodyear wrangler at/r 255/70/r15 's that are running on my scorpio??

im currently running on 36psi on all four tyres.

Last edited by badboyscad : 18th September 2008 at 13:43.
badboyscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 14:29   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - please note that the operating efficiency of a diesel engine is very high. Just for information, a single cylinder diesel engine used for combustion phenomenon research purposes is capable of "idling" (not taking load, mind you) at an air-fuel ratio of 120:1. A petrol engine will never even fire at such levels. This clearly indicates that mass flow (quantity) of air is extremely important in a diesel application, therefore air cleaner design is critical.

Now to answer Headers' question, yes, you can go for the best air cleaner for a particular engine, nothing wrong in doing it, but it needs to be optimised on the engine dynamometer under FTP (full throttle performance) and then verified for various tests like pressure drop, dust carrying potential in dust chamber etc and then on the car on the chassis dynamometer for startabilty, driveability, noise and tailpipe emissions + most important fuel economy. Look at the bent pipe in Molecules' car. It is handmade, cut and welded to provide the bend. Pipe ID will be very rough and it will start eddies (reverse airflow) in the system, thus changing the equation completely. If such a simple pipe cannot be made properly, what else can you expect? No wonder he got lousy fuel consumption. I am yet to see the actual air cleaner construction. I also want the photograph of the tailpipe.

Remember all of you - IT'S YOUR CAR. PLEASE DO NOT PAY GOOD MONEY TO SPOIL IT.

Hope it clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote