Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 18th September 2008, 14:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
The pic i posted is snap of the OE tyre pressure placard seen on the driver side door of my 2003 scorpio non-crde and it runs on 15 inch wheels. i guess the difference is because of the 16 inch wheels of your scorpio.

can you please post a snap of the tyre pressure placard on ur scorp's door?

BTW, does anyone have any idea about how much air should i fill in the goodyear wrangler at/r 255/70/r15 's that are running on my scorpio??

im currently running on 36psi on all four tyres.
I always keep 32 on all 4 tyres, most of the time I am alone in city, city drive about 15 kms a day and some long long drives with family of 4 + luggage ( total payload of 500 kg ) when doing long distance, A/C on all the time. I've 16" stock tyres, done about 26K kms in 14 months.

I've experimented with all pressures from 28 on wet roads to 36, 36 was too bouncy for me and settled down on 32. Most of the petrol bunk guys also remember one value where I fill regularly (electronic display) where they punch the number and it automatically fills.

Even with electronic air filling machines, I've found wide variation between pumps and have now settled down to one pump which I double checked There's no sure way to calibrate against some bench-mark for air pressure, wonder how to do that?

--Ramky
===========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 15:02   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
From what I have read, understood and experienced about the 2.6 Crde trucks, the average is not above 11.5 on the Highways and sub 10 in cities. Yours is a dream figure, wonder what gave you such high FE, in city 11 is too good to be true.

It would be interesting to know how you calculated the mileage.

--Ramky
========
Hi,
My highway mileage hovers between 12.5- 13.40 depending on the driving style. I dol not exceed 95kmph. A/c on continuosly.

My city FE never crosses 10.5. I use only normal fuel and add Sytem D in alternate fills.

Mine is a 2005 sep 2.6 crde. Stock tyres with HR alloys, 16", Air pressure 30 in all wheels.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 15:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Look at the bent pipe in Molecules' car. It is handmade, cut and welded to provide the bend. Pipe ID will be very rough and it will start eddies (reverse airflow) in the system, thus changing the equation completely. ....
It should not be that big a task to put the original back on and test FE with it for awhile.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 15:17   #64
BHPian

Remember all of you - IT'S YOUR CAR. PLEASE DO NOT PAY GOOD MONEY TO SPOIL IT.

Hope it clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar[/quote]

Hi Behram,

Liked your last quote.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 20:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Now to answer Headers' question, yes, you can go for the best air cleaner for a particular engine, nothing wrong in doing it, but it needs to be optimised on the engine dynamometer under FTP (full throttle performance) and then verified for various tests like pressure drop, dust carrying potential in dust chamber etc and then on the car on the chassis dynamometer for startabilty, driveability, noise and tailpipe emissions + most important fuel economy. Look at the bent pipe in Molecules' car. It is handmade, cut and welded to provide the bend. Pipe ID will be very rough and it will start eddies (reverse airflow) in the system, thus changing the equation completely. If such a simple pipe cannot be made properly, what else can you expect? No wonder he got lousy fuel consumption.
Wonderful explanation sir, thanks so much. Now, the dust carrying potential of K&N is pretty high as per experts' opinion. Would be happy if you could maybe share some thoughts on the FTP as well as pressure drop test of which I have a very rudimentary idea!

And i thought the same when i saw the pipe bend and the improper seams which are bound to leave a speedbreaker in the inside, which may start eddies!

Hope we are not going OT here, please sir, kindly start a new thread if necessary!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 22:11   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
From what I have read, understood and experienced about the 2.6 Crde trucks, the average is not above 11.5 on the Highways and sub 10 in cities. Yours is a dream figure, wonder what gave you such high FE, in city 11 is too good to be true.

It would be interesting to know how you calculated the mileage.

--Ramky
========
My mileage was calculated by measuring the quantity of fuel at every fill to the number of Kms driven between each fill (trip meter reset at every fill).

I consumed 92 ltrs of diesel for a 1398KM trip. I never pushed the vehicle and always watched the revs and let the engine work its way up to speed. I really didn't do anything different or special for my city mileage. But I'm very sure about the figures as I maintain a log book of every drop of fuel that I've consumed for city runs and highways (separately).
madhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 14:36   #67
BHPian

Behram Dhabhar the pic was taken on day 1 the pipe was made. Before that it was a plastic pipe which used to wear out. Hence i got this one made in tin. After this pic was taken the pipe has been powder coated and hence the ID of the pipe is far more finished than what is seen here.

Also i will trry to provide you with the original air filter photo so that u will know the air intake in this particular design is more than the original one.

In the mean time i request any scorpio owner to click a pic of their stock air filter and post for Mr Behram Dhabhar to have a clear picture.

Regards
moleculez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 20:51   #68
Team-BHP Support

Just back from jaipur trip, the scorpio returned 13.1kpl with mix of normal and spirited driving.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 23:17   #69
BHPian

Something just struck me. I have a muffler tip. A show pipe. That could be affecting the flow out?
Will post the pics tomorrow morning.
Old 21st September 2008, 18:38   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculez View Post
After this pic was taken the pipe has been powder coated and hence the ID of the pipe is far more finished than what is seen here.

Also i will trry to provide you with the original air filter photo so that u will know the air intake in this particular design is more than the original one.

In the mean time i request any scorpio owner to click a pic of their stock air filter and post for Mr Behram Dhabhar to have a clear picture.

Regards
I know that D.B. knows Scorpios. He owns one, too, I think. He does not need a pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculez View Post
Something just struck me. I have a muffler tip. A show pipe. That could be affecting the flow out?
Your own common sense should guide you on this. Does it restrict the exhaust or not? What is holding it on, 3 screws? Take it off and do the test in the real world.

D.B. thinks he has the reason for your problem. The only way now for you, IMHO, is to reinstall the original and test your FE. If it is still low then take it to a dealer. I do not think you can settle this here. We can debate theory until the end of time. A real world test is needed. The problem may still reside with your sensor or your ecu. Who knows? Ah...let me guess...you no longer have the original?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 21st September 2008 at 18:45.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 19:39   #71
BHPian

DirtyDan i have the original !

To be very very honest I love the car runs with the K&N. I love the way it zooms. Dont feel the same on a stock filter though.

I have PM B.D. and waiting for his number where i can meet him personally or talk to him over the phone. Right now I am re-doing the interiors of the car so thats killing all the time. Once that is done i will try to shift back to the stock air flow maybe on the next weekend. Lets see.

In the mean time i will try to remove the muffler tip and do a test. But this time its going to be in the city driving.
Old 25th September 2008, 14:28   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear moleculez - I have sent you a PM.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 20:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

I had the 6th tank full and no, I didn't use the premium fuel. It was normal fuel. The results:

Diesel Filled to tank-up: 38.30 ltrs
Kms done: 452.7 kms

FE: 11.81 kmpl. (city driving with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
With reference to my post #:6 & 15 here I would like to report that the 5th tankfull that I did sometime back, returned the following figures:

Diesel Filled to tank-up: 36.24 ltrs

Kms done: 380.5

FE: 10.50. (city driving with AC)

Rest all parameters remained the same as during the other previous 4 tank-fulls.

Now, will somebody explain this? I'm now due for the 6th tank-full and this time I'm going to use premium fuel and check the results.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 16:04   #74

Well, FE is directly related to load, road, driver, diesel and maintenence of the car. You drive with steady speed in bands of 50 -60 or 70 -80 kmph in top gears (AC on) and even with 4 passenger load, you will get the best kmpl. Clutch overrididng, keeping AC on in 15 minutes red light, Need for speed the moment it turns green, and revving to red band in smaller gears burn a lot of efficiency. Choked air filters, jammed or half engaged brakes or malfunctioning wheel cylinders, incorrect air pressure also contribute to lowering efficiency and not to forget cold starting & slipping clutches. Good quality fuel preferably from a COCO of IOCL or BP that too Xtra mile or Speed variant will improve FE performance because of low cetane. And lastly SUV deliver less kmpl because of higher mass and aerodynamic drag as compared to cars. I am getting 11 kmpl in my 3 year old XDP Bolero with AC on in Delhi to Gurgaon office hours traffic. The best I got is 12.29 (1660kms Kolkata to Del on NH2 with 135 litres burnt)
Android is offline   Reply With Quote