Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 9th December 2008, 23:32   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
you have to take a TD of the safari too buddy. i feel it wont be too easy to maneuvere in the crowded street which you mentioned as compared to the grande. now many would argue with me over this statement! guys, personal opinion and all that!
so, i feel the grande is better for you. but since your missus has already given a thumbs down, is it time to change the title of this thread to corolla vs civic vs optra?!
I agree. If city manouveribility is a concern, the Grande would definitely score over the Safari. At a massive 12M, the turning diameter of the Safari is its biggest let down for city driving. Wonder if it is so expensive to modify the steering given that Tata motors has not bothered to work on that aspect all these years .
Strangerintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 15:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo View Post
Thanks for your replies and suggestions. From all the replies so far, Safari wins hands down. I will still wait due to 2 reasons:
1. Insider sources in Tata Motors informed a good discount is coming by next week on Grande and Indigo XL
2. I would like to check feedback from Grande owners in this forum. We have lots of feedback on Safari, but no report on Grande. Will start a separate thread.
In teh mean time will probably test drive the Grande Gx and Safari Lx again this weekend.
I understand Grande vs Safari is confusing I was in same dilemma before I purchased Safari , and as you have test driven Grande you know it a bit , But I would suggest to test drive Grande and Safari both on some broken / un leveled roads and then decide. Also while doing a TD , TD them as a SUV/MUV and not as a car and then you will know difference, In case you want to know how to do proper TD read Steriods posts on TD of Safari , Force Gurkha and Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Few more -ves of Grande which are not so obvious in first test drive.

1. Thick C pilliors at back reducing visibility in rear View mirrors.
2. The handrest on the right hand side is too far away from driver so if you plan to take long drive it is not as confirtable as safari.
3. Leaf Spring suspension so ride quality is not as good as Safari.
4. Funny looking body shape

A big +ve of Grande which Safari does not have.
It can carry 8 Adults in Comfirt but if you are looking at people carrying capacity and car like handling you need to look at Innova and Safari , Grande and Scorpio do not fit in.

I did extensive TD of Safari , Grande , Innova and mHawk Scorpio in city traffic , broken roads and on empty roads.

Innova was best in creature comfirts and build quality. Safari Engine was most response and ride quality was the best.
About the menovribilty there is not much of difference between Safari , Grande and Scorpio in city traffic but on some of the broken roads in bangalore Safari is the only vehicle in which you will not throw up.
So I ignored the rest but its a personal decision so you need to do extensive TD.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 15:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In case you want to know how to do proper TD read Steriods posts on TD of Safari , Force Gurkha and Suzuki Grand Vitara.
Errr...thats Samurai, not Steeroid. Please dont confuse the two of us.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 15:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
I agree. If city manouveribility is a concern, the Grande would definitely score over the Safari. At a massive 12M, the turning diameter of the Safari is its biggest let down for city driving. Wonder if it is so expensive to modify the steering given that Tata motors has not bothered to work on that aspect all these years .
Buddy Safari turning radius is 6 M and not 12M where as for Scorpio and Grande it's 5.4 M so there is no huge difference and you can experience this while driving. Good part is Safari turning radius can be reduced by adjusting steering idler nuts provided you are will to to chop off about 1 inch of plastics from the inner lip of the wheel bay which is not visible from outside. People
do this while upgrading to alloys bigger then 6.5 J and fatter tyres. I have done it with stock 135/65 R 16 Bridgestone tyres and 7J Alloys though

Last edited by amitk26 : 15th December 2008 at 15:19.
Old 15th December 2008, 15:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Errr...thats Samurai, not Steeroid. Please dont confuse the two of us.
Ohh Ya .. but your posts are also equally educational so I confused
Old 15th December 2008, 15:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

The Grande GX now comes with a whopping discount of 89k, including a cash discount of 66k!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 16:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy Safari turning radius is 6 M and not 12M where as for Scorpio and Grande it's 5.4 M so there is no huge difference and you can experience this while driving. Good part is Safari turning radius can be reduced by adjusting steering idler nuts provided you are will to to chop off about 1 inch of plastics from the inner lip of the wheel bay which is not visible from outside. People
do this while upgrading to alloys bigger then 6.5 J and fatter tyres. I have done it with stock 135/65 R 16 Bridgestone tyres and 7J Alloys though
I think the original post mentions turning diameter - as far as my knowledge goes, the diameter is twice the radius, so the info about the turning diameter being 12M is correct, just that we use the turning radius as a standard measure!
ilovefls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 12:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefls View Post
I think the original post mentions turning diameter - as far as my knowledge goes, the diameter is twice the radius, so the info about the turning diameter being 12M is correct, just that we use the turning radius as a standard measure!
OK I stand corrected never noticed that he mentioned diameter so apologies but at most of the places the figure is mentioned as Radius since you turn vehicle taking current position as pivotal point.

None the less it is 12 M diameter vs 10.8 M diameter not a huge difference for city drive specially since it is possible to tweak and reduce Safari turning radius/ diameter.
Old 16th December 2008, 14:43   #39
BHPian

Quote:

None the less it is 12 M diameter vs 10.8 M diameter not a huge difference for city drive specially since it is possible to tweak and reduce Safari turning radius/ diameter.
I know this is OT here, but since it has come up could you please tell me how it is possible to tweak and reduce the turning radius? I asked the Tata Motors company owned work shop here and they said it cant be done!
Strangerintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 15:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
I know this is OT here, but since it has come up could you please tell me how it is possible to tweak and reduce the turning radius? I asked the Tata Motors company owned work shop here and they said it cant be done!
Yes it is quite possible this is discussed in detail on TS 2.2 VTT thread extensively. There are two Steering Idler nuts on each side which needs to be adjusted.
Actually the steering idler nut is set for a larger turning radius by default and if you try to reduce it then on a full turn and when suspension is activated on a bump the inner side of Tyre will foul with the mudflap and outer side with inner plastic lip of the wheel bay (do not know correct technical term for this)

This one inch of plastic towards the front side in wheel bay has no functional purpose so you can use a hacksaw to chop it off and then reduce turning radius by adjusting idler nuts,

Tyre- Alloy wheel fellows can do the chopping job quite neatly so that it is not visible from outside. In my case due to unequal steering idler setting there was a khat sound when the vehicle encountered bump on full right turn so TASS adjusted and also they themselves did chopping of the plastics , The results are pleasant.

Last edited by amitk26 : 16th December 2008 at 15:09.