Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 27th November 2008, 15:19   #1
BHPian

Default Tata Battle : Safari versus Grande

Back ground
I am on my way to get a new vehicle. My current ride is a Diesel Indica running 53K Km on stock tyres and the only cost I have incurred till date are the service costs and a few small things. I have outgrown a hatch and desperately need a boot (or more storage area). In terms of reliability of a TATA car, I am happy as in last 4 years my Indica has never let me down but the interior plastic quality and the interior fit and finish turns me off. I travel 40 Kms every weekday withing city with a 100-150 Km trip on atleast 2 weekends in a month. I am used to Diesel bills, so Petrol needs to wait unless the car delivers more than 13 Kpl. I do not do any offroading but frequently travel on roads which loves to present surprises with varying sizes of ditches and potholes.

Requirement
  • Boot or storing space
  • Diesel/ Petrol engine with more than 13Kmpl
  • Good *** and reliability (I hate visiting the dealer often)
  • Light on pocket
  • Space for 4 adults with 2 more thrown in some times with luggage
  • Acceptable resale price after 4 years
Dilemma
My budget is around 8L ex showroom. I was confused between Safari Lx and Grande Gx. The price are nearly same. I have test driven both and got more confused:
Safari:
+ Great Road presence
+ Extremely good ride
- Though not unreliable, users are posting problems almost regularly and a visit to the showroom every month seems to be the norm
- Spartan equipment level compared to Grande Gx
- Dated design
- Huge turning radius, pain in city
Grande:
+ Looks good to me
+ New age design
+ Drive at the first two rows feels okay
+ Good amount of creature comfort
+ Exterior fit and finish
- The test drive car had a horrible gear lever hope that's not the norm
- Last row comfort with the springs on the back
- Sumo heritage
- Interior fit and finish

On top of these, Ford confused me even more with the Ikon Diesel release. Seeking advice after getting thoroughly confused.
Can you help me out?
VooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 10:49   #2
BHPian

One more addition, I will get 35K discount on Grande and 10K on Safari if I buy through corporate connection.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:39   #3
BHPian

Hi Voodoo, few opinions from my side. Firstly, i'm at a 'dilemma' to point to the thread caption. Moderators, please correct the typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo View Post
Safari:
- Though not unreliable, users are posting problems almost regularly and a visit to the showroom every month seems to be the norm
Did you find me in that "users with problems" list? . I visited the service centre after 30 days from purchase, and a casual check-up after 6 months.

Quote:
- Spartan equipment level compared to Grande Gx
Please elaborate. I find the Safari LX's equipment levels on par with what the Grande offers.

Quote:
- Dated design
That's more like wine you see. hehe. The older it gets, the better it appeals. Pun aside, the Safari's ambience is very car-like, and that's the sole reason for me to go for this "big" car.

Quote:
- Huge turning radius, pain in city
Well, they (Tata's) had to compromise on something, and probably this was it. hehe.

Cheers.

Last edited by dkamath : 28th November 2008 at 11:41.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 12:32   #4
BHPian

AM not too much of a Fan of both the vehicles, but between the two my vote would go for the Safari. It does have the road presence factor, as mentioned by yourself. Moreover I am pretty sure the resale values on the Safari's would definitely be much better in case you need to part with the vehicle after a few years, this, IMHO when compared to the Grande.

Grande somehow has not picked up too much in sales, so wonder if you could find many buyers, in case you plan to sell, in the long run.

If you are one who would do highway runs, even if occassionally, I am sure the Safari would be much more of an handler than the Grande. Having an SUV, I am sure you would be tempted to take a few long drives on it from time to time, space not being a constraint. While on this, I am sure the ride comfort for you passengers would be much better in the Safari too.

I have not owned these two vehicles though and are just my two cents on reading different reviews here of satisfied Safari owners.

Moreover the initial glitches aspect on the Grande are not known too much since there are not many who own this on our forum.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 12:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

this should be a no brainer IMHO- go for the Safari

Much better road presence- u need to drive a safari to imagine the kind of respect u get on the roads!
more powerful engine
better GC
more robust chasis
better suspension
better resale
better plastic quality- the Safari is pretty average and the grand's plastics are down right pathetic
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 12:56   #6
BHPian

I see you haven't shortlisted any of the Mahendra Vehicles, thats surprising!! & if you wish to go for a sedan, then you might as-well wait for the Linnea which will be launched next month

In these are the only two options given I would lean towards the safari !!
crn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 13:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Xylo should fit right within the budget. Wait a coupla weeks. Its a fantastic vehicle in its own right.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 13:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

why not wait for the new vista sedan
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 13:50   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The Grande will have a newer design, compared to the Safari. The Safari setup has been the same for a long time.

If you are on a budget, then it may make sense to get most bang for your buck - which will be possible in the Grande. The other way is to start customizing the Safari at your pace.

List out for yourself, what these two provide, how much will it cost to customize these (upgrade the furnishings), and decide which way you want to go.

Also, I will say that the Grande is not the Sumo - these two are sufficiently different inside & outside. Will help you compare the Safari & the Grande better when you leave the Sumo out of the equation, even in the indirect way you have considered it.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 19:49   #10
BHPian

Silly me! Request the mods to fix the typo in the subject line.

crn12: Regarding M&M vehicles, I personally don't like Logan design and Scorpio I believe is costlier than Grande/Safari Lx.

dkamath: Here is a list of differences between Grande Gx and Safari Lx
Safari - no 2nd row AC
Safari - No height adjustment on drivers seat
Safari - No fog lamps etc.
Old 28th November 2008, 22:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

2nd Row A/c : can be added
Height adjustment : you will get used to it.
Fog lamps : can be added.

But these will be additions, and so will the cost. Just that these will not be included in the purchase version.

I was in a similar situation when I got my Sumo. But at that time, the 3.0 Dicor was pretty expensive. The toss-up was between a lower end TCIC Safari and a Sumo Victa - the TCIC or NA version. The TCIC versions had the same engine too. I took the top end Victa. The price was a little lower, but I got all the features. Looking back, no regrets.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 22:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

From my side, a few opinions.

1)Go for safari. It has got fantastic rear seat and is better over bad roads ( rather very good on bad roads ).
Grande is not a success and so dont expect a good resale. Safari can get you that a bit better.

2) Wait for Xylo. Official site is running so we can expect it before 2009 starts. Also have a look at Innova.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 22:41   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

6 in comfort - > Grande

For the price of Safari LX you get loaded Grande. Its got the same engine as the Safari but detuned. Its got a very small turning radius and is suited to a big family better.

Ford Ikon TDCi? Not bad.

How about Bolero CRDi/e ?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:18   #14
BANNED

I find Front Seat comfort of the Grande too cramped and the feel of the buttons and controls is not that good and that square gear knob.. not comfortable at all. would still prefer safari or Innova any day. no suggestion on Xylo as it isnt out yet.
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:49   #15
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Safari over Grande

Would Choose the Safari over the Grande for;

1) True SUV
2) Grande GX vs Safari LX -
a) Driver Seat Adjustment not really required in Safari the visibility is good at all heights - though one can get more comfy.
b) Original Fog lights can be added for just Rs. 1000 for the pair - as good as negligible costs.
c) Second Row AC Vents - Can be added later for about Rs. 15,000 later - There isn't a despearate need for this also if the vents at the base between the seats are provided.
d) Infact other creature features of EX and VX too can be added later. Sadly Airbags and ABS can't really be added later, but then they aren't present on the GX Grand either.
3) Best Road presence among all cars in India
4) Best Ride. Better suspenson system.
5) Resale point of view they are in my openion likely to be similar, as neither presently sell in great numbers though the Grand is likely to pick up and the Safari already had decent numbers on the road in the present shape variants.
6) Reliability of Safari though possibly lower than that of the new engineered Grand is probably identical for the engines at least which are basically the same 2.2ltr Dicor versions tuned either for power or economy.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote