Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 6th December 2009, 00:53   #241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
M is not an engine brake, it is more for spirited driving when you want to put pedal to the metal.
If you see post #230 where I have posted a description from the brochure, it specifically says M is engine braking mode.

I am bound to think M is same as L1 in my Santro, also it is positioned at the same position as L1. Only that can explain the engine braking.

So winter mode is just an higher gear used for starting. Damn, I just used to press the gas pedal very softly in snow, none of my cars had any winter mode. Although TCS was very handy while driving over fresh snow, and ABS was a curse. But TCS does use ABS to pump the brakes, so it is not that bad.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 01:01   #242
Team-BHP Support

L1 mode in Santro prevents the gearbox from shifting beyond first gear.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 08:40   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I think we are saying the same thing about using engine braking and brakes. I think we differ on our assumptions about whether Scorp AT provides engine braking while going downhill in M mode.
This is a valid point. I guess a combination of M mode and braking may serve the same purpose. We can only confirm after a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
M is power/sport mode where the box holds a gear till redline to provide maximum acceleration.
This is what I assumed that an M mode or Sport mode does.But looks like Mahindra is also using it to provide some sort of Engine Braking. An Acura Automatic that I drove could figure out that you are going down a slope. I guess the ECU is sensing that the speed is picking up and the accelerator pedal is not pressed and the Acura automatic actually downshifted/maintained the gear. So,I guess the Scorp ECU automatic may have some sensors that read speed build up with no Fuel supply (accelerator) and the M mode may work differently to provide Engine braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you see post #230 where I have posted a description from the brochure, it specifically says M is engine braking mode.

I am bound to think M is same as L1 in my Santro, also it is positioned at the same position as L1. Only that can explain the engine braking.
L1 will not go beyond 1st gear and L2 will go upto 2nd but not beyond second. These were the traditional set ups before Tiptronic became the FAS. Frankly Mahindra should offer Tiptronic or Manual gear selection.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 10:11   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
An Acura Automatic that I drove could figure out that you are going down a slope. I guess the ECU is sensing that the speed is picking up and the accelerator pedal is not pressed and the Acura automatic actually downshifted/maintained the gear. So,I guess the Scorp ECU automatic may have some sensors that read speed build up with no Fuel supply (accelerator) and the M mode may work differently to provide Engine braking.
Funny you mentioned Acura, I did own a 2001 Acura 3.2TL for 3+ years. The gear shift was as shown in the pic.

Name:  tlgalllrg157vp.jpg
Views: 4989
Size:  40.8 KB<br /> <br />
In the tiptronic mode, it did upshift or downshift at the last movement provided the speed became too fast or too slow for that gear. Then there was the separate L mode which remained in 1st gear providing the engine braking.<br /> <br /> <div style=
Quote:
L1 will not go beyond 1st gear and L2 will go upto 2nd but not beyond second.
That is what provides the braking, if it goes beyond, there is no braking. The M mode cannot provide engine braking if it upshifts automatically.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 15:10   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is what provides the braking, if it goes beyond, there is no braking. The M mode cannot provide engine braking if it upshifts automatically.
Exactly my point. If M holds upto redline. You can slow the shifts to 6th in a Scorpio on a slope but not the same as holding it in a low gear.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:30   #246
BHPian

Guys, yesterday first batch of 4wd AT has been invoiced from factory are on way to showroom for delivery, I got the call from Mahindra person that my vehicle has been factory invoiced and would be delivered in next 7 day, its VIN manufactured year is 2010, it has all new feature airbag, and others.

Anyone else booked, need to confirm from Mahindra or call your dealer and get the info, they must have got this info yesterday.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 15:49   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Guys, yesterday first batch of 4wd AT has been invoiced from factory are on way to showroom for delivery, I got the call from Mahindra person that my vehicle has been factory invoiced and would be delivered in next 7 day, its VIN manufactured year is 2010, it has all new feature airbag, and others.

Anyone else booked, need to confirm from Mahindra or call your dealer and get the info, they must have got this info yesterday.

-Pramod
Ooh wow, so you are getting '10 manufactured vehicle in the very first week of Jan '10.

Whats the color of your vehicle ? hondadude and Shatrughna, any updates on the delivery of your beast ?
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:06   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...its VIN manufactured year is 2010...
How on earth??? That's against the law, and M&M would be breaking it by manufacturing a "postdated chassis". Please recheck the actual VIN number. This must be dealer-generated bull.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:20   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
How on earth??? That's against the law, and M&M would be breaking it by manufacturing a "postdated chassis". Please recheck the actual VIN number. This must be dealer-generated bull.
This is the very reason, they can't deliver the vehicle by law in 2009, it has to be in delivered in 2010 only. I booked in oct 09 end for 4wd AT, and was promised delivery by 10th Dec, but by 7th Dec, dealer told me they can only deliver white colored one, and my choice was black, after lots of discussion they gave me the Mahindra contact, I talked with them and agreed to later delivery with changed configuration from normal to the new one with airbag and all other new feature, as per mahindra all vehicle going for production after 15th Dec are 2010 VIN and can only be delivered in 1st week on Jan 2010 or later. I hope this is true and will confirm once the vehicle is delivered. Yesterday I got the call from Mahindra guy to confirm the factory invoice and after 4 hours later I got the call from dealer to for delivery confirmation after 7 days.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:30   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...mahindra all vehicle going for production after 15th Dec are 2010 VIN and can only be delivered in 1st week on Jan 2010 or later. I hope this is true...
That's the point. If assembly of the chassis (not even the whole vehicle) is completed on any date in 2009, it should not have a 2010 VIN. And here you are talking of a vehicle which has been completely assembled in 2009, and notionally being delivered in 2010. That's like saying one would not mind taking a medicine in January 2010 when the expiry date printed is December 2009.
Old 29th December 2009, 16:30   #251
Team-BHP Support

What is the Warranty km limit for Scorpio AT? A friend told me its 50k kms for AT and 100K Kms for MT version, Is it true?
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:50   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

@SS Traveller: From what I understand the manufacturing date is based on when the vehicle gets invoiced and leaves the factory. They are not breaking the law if they leave one bolt unfastened and screw in on first day of Jan 2010 and then invoice and dispatch the vehicle on the same day.

Mahindra will not blatantly do anything illegal. I am sure there is a work around to provide 2010 vin numbers legally.
Old 29th December 2009, 17:36   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...yesterday first batch of 4wd AT has been invoiced from factory are on way to showroom for delivery
Quote:
...manufacturing date is based on when the vehicle gets invoiced and leaves the factory. They are not breaking the law if they leave one bolt unfastened and screw in on first day of Jan 2010 and then invoice and dispatch the vehicle on the same day.

Mahindra will not blatantly do anything illegal. I am sure there is a work around to provide 2010 vin numbers legally.
4x4addict: I agree with you on your comment, but what Pramod says goes totally against that too (please refer to the highlighted parts of his post).

I therefore wonder exactly HOW M&M is working around this... is there a loophole in the law that other manufacturers are not aware of? For example, there is absolutely no way I can buy a 2010 VIN Maruti or Ford on 1st Jan, '10 - which would be possible if they could postdate manufacture month & year 15 days ahead.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 29th December 2009 at 17:37.
Old 29th December 2009, 17:49   #254
BANNED

guys usually the next year's model comes in the market in the current year!

so by sept-oct 2009, a 2010 model comes into the market, thats the international trend. its not that model is made in 2010, but its classified as 2010 model, not the year!

i assume it must be the same in for the indian market.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 19:19   #255
BANNED

My 2009 model Honda Accord (Lease Purchased in Kuwait on 04th January 2009 ) is manufactured in Aug 2008 in Japan.

AFAIK In Internatioanl markets it is possible to purchase the next year model by the last quarter of current year which is manufactured in third quarter of the current year.

Key reason being inter country sea transportation as the sea-shipment will take 2 months.

However with in India the transportation is just a matter of two weeks maximum. Not sure of how in Indian car model year is defined/derived.
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote