Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 15th June 2011, 12:59   #316
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio VLX A/T 4WD - anyone got it?

Thanks @4x4addict that puts Aribag concern to rest.

Now the other question, I had written to MGE about AT & 4x4 I have not heard back, I will be writing to customer care today. The local M&M rep' was suppose to call me yesterday, have not heard from them yet.

I did get one customer (Brayn Fernandes) reference in Bangalore by the dealer (SKS) (I suppose if I buy this I will probably be third or fourth guy with this combination in Bangalore - WOW that is cool!)

@hondadude: you had mentioned you booked the vehicle, dont see any update after that and could not find any owner report, any input you could provide is much appretiated.
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 17:44   #317
Senior - BHPian

this vehicle at 15.3 lacs on road bangalore is rather expensive
a couple of my friends have it and both have shared concerns about fit and finish given the price.
also, it appears that mud tends to get in, around the rear door area, for some reason.
all in all I would hesitate to buy this vehicle at this price because I simply dont feel there is enough true value in the package overall.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 18:17   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

I second Shankar's opinion. At the price point and given MASS lack of knowledge about automatics, you will definitely be stranded if some issues crop up with your AT at non metro locations.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 18:45   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
@hondadude: you had mentioned you booked the vehicle, dont see any update after that and could not find any owner report, any input you could provide is much appretiated.
I bought the vehicle and have done about 16K on it. I have used it only in the city and on the highway. I have engaged 4H only once and that's about it. I haven't done any justice to 4x4 part of the vehicle. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have.
hondadude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 19:42   #320
BHPian

Folks thanks for the quick replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
this vehicle at 15.3 lacs on road bangalore is rather expensive...
Please don't send me back to the price/VFM question, I just managed to convince myself about the price.

And you will not believe it, my wife helped out of that question

But it's perhaps the only one available with a AT in that price range, especially as I don't want to go over to 20l range. So in a way stuck with Scorpio for the price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I second Shankar's opinion. At the price point and given MASS lack of knowledge about automatics, you will definitely be stranded if some issues crop up with your AT at non metro locations.
AT has been out for over two years now and I presume the initial issues with it would have been sorted out by now and would be a stable system. (not sure though of the AT + 4x4)

What-if I run in to issue like @promads did on his Leh Ladak trip. But what was encouraging from his experience was the support he received from M&M though it took a several weeks.

But I know that's a big gamble, and my present worry is this very point!

OT: Interestingly my Santro AT seems to draw more confidence. I just completed 50k in three years and have been on a drive of 3.8k drive in 10 days and I also run on retrofitted LPG. (touch wood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I bought the vehicle and have done about 16K on it. I have used it only in the city and on the highway. I have engaged 4H only once and that's about it. I haven't done any justice to 4x4 part of the vehicle. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have.
@hondadude: Do you mind, if I can call you at a time convenient to you, pleae let me know (I will PM you).

Last edited by ajitkumarlb : 15th June 2011 at 19:44.
Old 16th June 2011, 06:54   #321
Senior - BHPian

ajit
overall only you can make that decision. whatever be the opinions and chatter you hear, go ahead and buy what you like. Im not saying it is a waste. I merely think from my perspective that it is expensively priced for an M&M and has way too many un-necessary cosmetics and electronic gizmos which are more fiddly than functional.
if only M&M would desist from this cosmetic and electronic twaddle and focus on what they are good at - functionality at a fair price, then I would buy it like a shot. Of course the ride quality and top-heaviness definitely needs to be sorted. Im sure their upcoming monocoque w201 will be worth waiting for but again, I am seriously concerned at the price at which it will turn up! They are yet to learn and internalize the concept of ergonomics, value engineering and fit and finish quality. Till they learn this kind of refinement and provide the same to their consumers they have no business charging such evil premia on their pricing!

Quote:
Folks thanks for the quick replies:

Please don't send me back to the price/VFM question, I just managed to convince myself about the price.

And you will not believe it, my wife helped out of that question

But it's perhaps the only one available with a AT in that price range, especially as I don't want to go over to 20l range. So in a way stuck with Scorpio for the price...

AT has been out for over two years now and I presume the initial issues with it would have been sorted out by now and would be a stable system. (not sure though of the AT + 4x4)

What-if I run in to issue like @promads did on his Leh Ladak trip. But what was encouraging from his experience was the support he received from M&M though it took a several weeks.

But I know that's a big gamble, and my present worry is this very point!

OT: Interestingly my Santro AT seems to draw more confidence. I just completed 50k in three years and have been on a drive of 3.8k drive in 10 days and I also run on retrofitted LPG. (touch wood)

@hondadude: Do you mind, if I can call you at a time convenient to you, pleae let me know (I will PM you).
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 16:40   #322
BHPian

I had written to customer care yesterday and today got a response from M&M Bangalore AO:

--
We at Mahindra & Mahindra thank you for choosing a Mahindra Product. With reference to your queries, I would like to assure that Scorpio AT 4X4 is designed and tested for off-roading and events like Mahindra Great Escape etc.

Regarding your query about the service of the said vehicle, I assure you that our entire service network is completely capable of servicing the Scorpio AT 4X4. We have trained professionals to look after your vehicle and service the same, so you can be rest assured about the servicing of your vehicle.
--

Well, I guess its finally that time where I have to make up my mind!!!
Old 24th June 2011, 21:31   #323
BHPian

OK today was the D-Day - I have finally booked my Scorpio VLX-RF AT 4WD BS 4 (HIGH-END with AIRBAG)

Thatís a long name for a big car, wondering how will all that look at the rare of the car.

Now the wait begins! 6 to 8 weeks...

I finally decided to go with Sireesh Auto on the Hosur Road as they were having the best deal and the sales person was much more proactive and forthcoming. One more big advantage I saw with Sireesh was that they have a service center on Jakkur Main Road, which is less than 2 km from my house.

Either I am really bad at bargaining or M&M have put in place a lot of stringent rules and have standardized on what discounts, accessories and freebies that a dealer can offer to lure the customer. All were offering the same stuff with no exception and no one could/would offer anything else even when they saw that I was clearly slipping out of their hand. In fact one of the other dealer sales guy called me after I had placed the booking, and was actually apologizing to me saying there is a lot of scrutiny from M&M and he could not meet my expectation!

I suppose I am entitled for my own owner review thread now more on that threadÖ
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:47   #324
BHPian

Well two months later - no news of the vehicle!!!

First date given was 10th Aug then an automated SMS saying 23rd Aug! then another SMS stating 2nd Sep and then another SMS stating 8th Sep.

Last week both the sales rep and the MM rep in Bangalore were not picking up my call and finaly they did today.

MM rep claim there is an issue with parts supply for Automatic and has been going on for more than three months and according to him he has a written confirmation from the production team that 'it will be sorted by this month end' which I dont believe any more!!!

If this was going on for more then three months, i.e. one month before I booked, they could have been upfront and told me then, instead of postponing the delivery now.

I am losing patience and interest in the vehicle now. Only reason I was being patient till now was because of the liking for the vehicle. But now, I am seriously thinking of other 4x4 AT vehicles available in the market. Unless MM makes up for the delay and delivers by 8th Sep.

Last edited by ajitkumarlb : 23rd August 2011 at 12:49.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:48   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First date given was 10th Aug then an automated SMS saying 23rd Aug! then another SMS stating 2nd Sep and then another SMS stating 8th Sep.
Log a call with M&M Customer Care on the internet and tweet it on Anand Mahindra's twitter page and send across a few mails to the M&M regional office for south. You should get a valid reply.

DO NOT trust what the dealer says unless validated in writing by M&M directly.

DO NOT let a careless dealer spoil your feeling of owning a cherished vehicle.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:54   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Last week both the sales rep and the MM rep in Bangalore were not picking up my call and finaly they did today.

MM rep claim there is an issue with parts supply for Automatic and has been going on for more than three months and according to him he has a written confirmation from the production team that 'it will be sorted by this month end' which I dont believe any more!!!

If this was going on for more then three months, i.e. one month before I booked, they could have been upfront and told me then, instead of postponing the delivery now.

I am losing patience and interest in the vehicle now. Only reason I was being patient till now was because of the liking for the vehicle. But now, I am seriously thinking of other 4x4 AT vehicles available in the market. Unless MM makes up for the delay and delivers by 8th Sep.
Looks like your dealer is playing games with you considering that there are no 4X4 AT vehicles in that price range. The nearest competitor isEndeavour which is 20 Lakhs +

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Log a call with M&M Customer Care on the internet and tweet it on Anand Mahindra's twitter page and send across a few mails to the M&M regional office for south. You should get a valid reply.

DO NOT trust what the dealer says unless validated in writing by M&M directly.

DO NOT let a careless dealer spoil your feeling of owning a cherished vehicle.
+ 1 to above. Email the biggies in Mahindra and am sure you'll see some action.

All the best!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:37   #327
AVR
BHPian

Talk to Ramkya1 - He ordered a 4x4 mHawk Scorpio in first week of August and has been driving it for a week already. Not sure how it should work differently for you.

Good luck!
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:33   #328
BHPian

I am in touch with Mahindra folks here in bangalore as well as the dealer, seems like an issue with Automatic vehicles only. They are going to get me a written confirmation by tomorrow.

There is dealy in parts supply for Automatic, may be their Australian partner is not able to supply in time or there is dealy in the transit.

Minus the tweet to Mr Anand Mahindra all other channels opened. Will wait till tomorrow for the written confirmation, if I dont receive one I will tweet.
Old 24th August 2011, 13:25   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder if there have been any design / component changes in the Scorpio Automatic viv-a-vis what was being sold earlier - say, the model that BHPian pramods bought (and sold)?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 13:31   #330
BHPian

I have an email from MM representative today, confirming the issue with the parts supply and that the vehicle will be rolled out of production end of this month and billed shortly.

Yet no specific mention of a date of delivery.

I dont want to penalize the dealer, but MM should be compensating for the delay!