Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 1st February 2009, 19:16   #1

Default SUV-for 200 kms daily highway use

Which is the best SUV for 200 kms daily highway use? Tucson or Endeavour?
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 21:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Which is the best SUV for 200 kms daily highway use? Tucson or Endeavour?
You mean the better of the two? The Tuc, if you plan to sit in the rear seat.

Actually the Tuc if you plan to sit on the front seats too.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 21:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hasnt the Tucson been pulled from the market. Captiva is the way to go. Endy is a monster.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 22:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hasnt the Tucson been pulled from the market. Captiva is the way to go. Endy is a monster.
Right you are. Unless he's looking at the used market, that is. If the Tuc was pulled from the market, how come the Hyundai India website still features the car? Its a CKD so perhaps they're still importing a few?
Old 1st February 2009, 22:12   #5
BHPian

Hey Steeroid n Mpower,
Since spock wants for highway use I bet Endy would be a easy mile cruncher for him.
I drove one here in Canada from ottawa to toronto and a journey of 6 hours was cut short by a couple of hours.
Tuscon is a delight to drive in city traffic.But for long journeys on highways I would prefer an Endeavour.Not to mention the safety which should be priority number one while driving on highways.And endy takes care of it all.
Besides it has more beasty looks that a tuc
Lu€iFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 22:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tucson is still available, had checked one out at HMP a couple of weeks back.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 22:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest the SUVs in this order:
captiva
tucson
endeavour
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 07:32   #8
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Tucson is the best on the highway or on any kind of road- Handling wise.
Eager engine. but kind of bland driving experience(compared to the Endy)
The Tucson I had TDed had 63k on the odo, and NVH was a bit more than what would be desirable.

Endeavour is the most fun to drive. Middle and last row seats are torturous
Front seats are excellent. Built pretty solidly. Amazing engine(2.5 litre and above) handles well enough to be thrown sideways in corners if you want it.Great NVH.

I didnt like the Front wheel drive captiva. Felt like a car that handles poorly. Handles decent for an SUV, but still not as good as the other 2.
great in a straight line, will outrun most regular sedans and hatches. comfortable ride, plenty of space. More luxurious feel than the other 2.
Best NVH.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

The Endeavour with the new 3.0L TDCi engine is really everything an SUV should represent - its got a stonker of an engine, potholes dont make even a blip and it doesnt require that roads be present.

The Tucson, although a very competent vehicle in its own right, is not helped by its fuzzy production/availability status by Hyundai.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:19   #10
BHPian

Did we miss the Pajero in this equation?
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

if its 200 kms of highway - why not an Innova? its got good driving ergonomics and middle row comfort. Of the tuscon, the tuscon was very comfortable to drive and ride in, and it chomps up miles very easily.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The Endeavour with the new 3.0L TDCi engine is really everything an SUV should represent - its got a stonker of an engine, potholes dont make even a blip and it doesnt require that roads be present.
Try sitting in middle/last row of the Endy when it hits the said pothole at speed. You would be in for a rather rude shock.
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

if you will be traveling 200km daily, better look for a home(on rent or something) near by instead of SUV.

Do not find reasons to buy an SUV. you might end up doing the above even after buying an SUV, honestly
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Try sitting in middle/last row of the Endy when it hits the said pothole at speed. You would be in for a rather rude shock.
Mag needs a test drive - can you arrange one? It bounces over potholes like the rear of a state transport bus without shocks.

Therefore it does really require good roads to be present for continual use.

But you cant beat the presence of the Endeavour. The number of people who have gone for it just for the butch looks is no joke.

Captiva is FWD (AWD in the auto version, I hear?). Else it would've been a nice alternative, but I heard it is substantially more expensive than the Endeavour and therefore way beyond the Tuc in cost.

The Tucson is reliable, powerful (and can be Peted if you need more) and holds itself together better than the Ford. It is a fairly capable softroader, too. Plus very reliable and comes with built-in peace of mind as far as A*S*S is concerned (I really miss HMIL service!).

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd February 2009 at 18:59.
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Mag needs a test drive - can you arrange one? It bounces over potholes like the rear of a state transport bus without shocks.
Yup, can be done! He would enjoy it like my friend's wife did. Hit a bump at 100+ & she went flying from her seat in the middle row & straight into the left rear door. Hurt her elbow pretty badly that day.

I was driving at that time with the seat belt on & despite that was lifted clean off the seat when the truck hit the bump.

Quote:
But you cant beat the presence of the Endeavour. The number of people who have gone for it just for the butch looks is no joke.
Yup, most sales in North India are due to the looks & presence alone.

Quote:
Captiva is FWD (AWD in the auto version, I hear?). Else it would've been a nice alternative, but I heard it is substantially more expensive than the Endeavour and therefore way beyond the Tuc in cost.
It's about 23L ex-showroom Delhi and is indeed a AWD. The Endeavour is in comparison much cheaper, the 2.5 is 16.4L & 3.0 being 19L. The Tucson is 17.5L.