Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 4th February 2009, 17:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Dent : stone that bumped on to the bonnet
Windscreen : he just said it had a crack. Did not get into the how of it.
Noise : its for about 2-3 secs possibly (guessing here) someplace between 1k-2k rpm. Will ask Concorde about that as well.
Dadu, thanks! Unfortunately will probably be able to go over only on Sat.
Ravi, will give you a call - do pm me your number.
Pritish, thanks for the offer - do expect a mail from me!
This is one great forum
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 17:31   #32
BANNED

Would have liked to help but weekdays are impossible and am out this weekend
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 18:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

For the sake of completeness, what's the equivalent Scorpio model ? I saw some on carwale, and the more recent Scorpios seem much more expensive!
Used 2006 Mahindra Scorpio 2.6 SLX CRDe for sale in Bangalore - Profile Id : S77020 - CarWale.com
I do not mean to start another Safari/Scorpio debate, but would like some education on this.

Last edited by zenx : 4th February 2009 at 18:26. Reason: Scorpios, not Scorpio's :|
Old 4th February 2009, 18:27   #34
Team-BHP Support

The equivalent Scorpio will have a 2.2 L mHawk engine.

The 2.6 CRDe is the older engine variant for the Scorpio.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 18:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Twin View Post
Cant you ask him for the Receipt of work done on the vehicle? If he is genuine he will show the details of expenses done else excuses

18000 in 7 months is very possible, knowing Office to home distance will be helpful..
Yeah, the entire history is available with Concorde, and we've gotten a background check done verbally already based on the regn number. Will go over the service history in detail on Sat as well.
Old 4th February 2009, 18:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
For the sake of completeness, what's the equivalent Scorpio model ? I saw some on carwale, and the more recent Scorpios seem much more expensive!...
Reason is that Scorpio's have a proven track record for running for long with a low hit on the pocket. The cost of maintenance is low for the Scorpio.

Safari is yet to reach the wide acceptance that Scorpio currently has.

Quote:
...I do not mean to start another Safari/Scorpio debate, but would like some education on this.
Maybe you just did that! This is like asking someone to make an omelet without breaking the egg! (I hope I am proven wrong....)
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 18:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Maybe you just did that! This is like asking someone to make an omelet without breaking the egg! (I hope I am proven wrong....)
Hmmm! The wife asked me to not just blindly pursue one car/make (actually she first dismissed the whole upgrade idea out of hand as unnecessary and somewhere I do not disagree!) so I had to get this particular omelette made

So far, looks like the Scorps are more expensive for a similar age/spec so I have the numbers on my side. Safari's my personal preference too.

Is there something between those lines that implies that the 2.2VTT will be heavy on the pocket, maintenance wise ? My insurance will surely go up from 6.5 k on the City to 17 or so I guess, but don't want a white elephant, even if its black.

Last edited by zenx : 4th February 2009 at 18:42.
Old 4th February 2009, 18:45   #38
Team-BHP Support

Actually the best Safari only if your running is low would be a Petrol Safari.

The depreciation they suffer makes them very attractive but of course they are not easy to find.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 18:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You can find me in Concorde, Mysore rd on Friday morning, 9AM. I am not an expert at this, never bought a used vehicle but can help in whatever way i can.
Zenx avail this offer with open arms .. IMHO Dadu is best Safari expert and technical guru on this forum.

If the Concord provides history and the bonnet dent is a genuine case you can go for this vehicle.
There are not too many 2.2 VTT in used car market and first owner is taking brunt of depreciation making fantastic value proposition for you.

Last edited by amitk26 : 4th February 2009 at 18:52.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 19:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Zenx avail this offer with open arms .. IMHO Dadu is best Safari expert and technical guru on this forum.

If the Concord provides history and the bonnet dent is a genuine case you can go for this vehicle.
There are not too many 2.2 VTT in used car market and first owner is taking brunt of depreciation making fantastic value proposition for you.
Have asked the guy if Fri works for him - a TBhp Safari veteran's words will be most assuring as far as I'm concerned

Yeah, so far it feels like a good deal, and the guy sounds genuine. Though I'm not yet sure if 6.5 is ok for the LX.
Old 4th February 2009, 19:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm! The wife asked me to not just blindly pursue one car/make (actually she first dismissed the whole upgrade idea out of hand as unnecessary and somewhere I do not disagree!) so I had to get this particular omelette made

So far, looks like the Scorps are more expensive for a similar age/spec so I have the numbers on my side. Safari's my personal preference too.

Is there something between those lines that implies that the 2.2VTT will be heavy on the pocket, maintenance wise ? My insurance will surely go up from 6.5 k on the City to 17 or so I guess, but don't want a white elephant, even if its black.
Agree with the thought of always checking the options available.

As said, Scorpio's when compared with cost of maintenance with Safari, are lower in maintenance. But it is definitely not a white elephant. The benefits will surely outweigh.

You can check few of the long term review to know what expenses will be incurred for a vehicle that has completed 18k kms.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 19:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have asked the guy if Fri works for him - a TBhp Safari veteran's words will be most assuring as far as I'm concerned

Yeah, so far it feels like a good deal, and the guy sounds genuine. Though I'm not yet sure if 6.5 is ok for the LX.
Suppose you buy a new LX in Bangalore without ICE / Tints / Seatcovers it would be 9.18 lakhs on road, You are getting 7 months / 18 K Km old at 6.5 , So if there are no major flaws do you feel it is not VFM ?

A new vehicle also has probability of getting bonnet dented and windshield cracked and repaired but in your own hands, So 2.68 Lakhs for that do not look too bad perhaps you can negotiate to slightly lower based on Service history and checkup at concord.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 08:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

@amitk26 Good point. Seems ok indeed, though was essentially trying to establish market prices for 08 LXs.

BTW, guys, there's a small debate I need to wrap up at home to seal this.

My point about why the change : wife's counter-arguments about "why the City is enough"

Biggger Vehicle : We're four, need more space a few days a year at most (can rent for that), enough boot space in the City for most Airport trips.
8 year old car : still drives well, smooth. Efficient, low maint, FTD, easy to park, drive
More comfortable, long distancer : have we ever found the City lacking ?
Cheaper than upgrading to a Linea etc : Huh? keep the City for 3-4 years more, and save 3L+, plus insurance every year
Can carry cycles inside : Even a great 3-bike rack is 8k
Can do bad roads really easy : Most roads are improving, and we've managed reasonably bad ones without too much of a pain (true - climbed up a real bad, steep, loose gravel filled one track in Wayanad)

I need some solid clinchers to win this one. Fortunately, after the TD she has some doubts about not shifting, but really, those points are quite solid
Old 5th February 2009, 11:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Went through Steer's and Suman's Long term report and experiences yet again (i'm quite obsessed right now, true)

Some of the experiences people have mentioned on those are surely worrying. I've gotten used to driving my cars to whatever destination without a thought, sometimes even right before they're due for the next service. I rarely peek inside the bonnet. Don't mind a couple of trips to the service station for even fixes, as long as there's no fear about taking the vehicle anywhere, anytime.

Am I going down the right road? Steer has an amazing story and has made TASS and the Safari work for him. I have a Pulsar which a great friend of mine ensures keeps running well despite its niggles, and its never given up despite tough roads and abuse, so I can relate. But am still worried about this as the only vehicle for the family. Of course, it could be mere anecdotal evidence, as is often the case, and the ground reality may be very different.

Am going to get the LX checked by Concorde tomorrow - any specific things I should ask them for an 18k kms old vehicle ? Clutch issues ? Turbo ? I'm not very mechanically aware or educated myself, so all inputs welcome.

And I still need to resolve that questionnaire at home
Old 5th February 2009, 11:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hmmmm, in the horns of a dilemma I can see

Quote:
Am going to get the LX checked by Concorde tomorrow - any specific things I should ask them for an 18k kms old vehicle ? Clutch issues ? Turbo ? I'm not very mechanically aware or educated myself, so all inputs welcome.
Clutch
Oil leaks
Brake discs (shudder from steering wheel when braking)
Brake linings (any squeal or screech on braking)
Suspension - lower & upper arm bushes, shock absorbers (vehicle has done quite a bit of mileage)

Also have someone drive it in a straight line & observe it from the rear - does the vehicle appear to be travelling sideways (indicating chassis damage caused by major accident)?

Good luck & you have Dadu accompanying you as well so, no worries. Have PMed you my Mobile number, don't hesitate to give me a call should any doubts arise when you are there. I'm not a 2.2 expert though!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote