Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 11th February 2009, 12:07   #16
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3adlythegame View Post
How come no one has suggested XYLO yet ?
Read the first post. He is not interested in Xylo at all.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 12:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Choose between Tata Safari and the Toyota Innova. Tata Safari for looks and non-taxi image, Innova for reliability. On the comfort front I think both are evenly matched, might be a little tilted towards the Safari. Safari has some niggling problems but I have also seen a Toyota Innova's disc broken at 10K kilometers and that too not due to rough usage. Innova is no doubt more reliable than Safari, but what I meant to say that any part can fail in a car. Its only on the net I find so many bad reviews about Tata Safari. I know a few people who have safaris and they are extremely happy with them. One is a 1999 Safari and has clocked more than 1.5 lac kms and have been to Singapore also. There are 3 safaris in our company and I have spoken to the drivers. None of them had any issue whatsoever with the cars in the past 2-3 years and they are immaculately maintained. But at the end of the day its your call.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 11th February 2009 at 12:19.
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 12:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

4 adults, 2 kids, self driven for long drives. Is'nt it obvious? You have but one choice, a Toyota Innova. Refined, safe, oodles of space, diesel, classy, and extremely reliable. Dont even think of anything else. The Innova would be just perfect.

Congrats in advance for the new addition to your family.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 12:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post
Why not Hyundai Accent?

Wont it be a bit cramped with 4 adults and 2 children on a long drive in an Accent? Thats why he would like an SUV/MUV. He needs the space.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 14:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Considering your requirements, Toyota Innova seems to be the best option.
But you can also consider Tata Safari ( niggling problems will be there ), Mahindra Scorpio and the latest entrant, Mahindra Xylo.

TD all of them and then decide. If you are not interested in off-roading abilities and/or you dont need 4X4, then try out Innova and Xylo and decide between them.

I would suggest Innova becasue it is very car like to drive as compared to Xylo where some handling issue still remain ( havent test driven ).

Lastly, also have a look at Sumo Grande and Tavera.

It would be nice if you mention your budget also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
You can go for the Tata Safari or Sumo Grande both are very good vehicles.

Safari has got some small rattling sounds and other than that there are no other problems and very suitable for the kind of place where you are staying.

Just enjoy the drive and reclaim your life by driving your Safari
my family hates the looks of xylo. i will try out the grande & safari but i dont think tavera is suitable for us because its engine is too rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Innova will fit your bill.hazel free maintainance & vehicle with good seating comfort.perfect for long drives.

Good replacement for Esteem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
The Innova ticks all the boxes of your requirements. You can go for it blindly.

By the way, there were discounts floating around for the old Innova after the new face lifted launch. Am not sure whether, they are still offering discounts, but you can check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
4 adults, 2 kids, self driven for long drives. Is'nt it obvious? You have but one choice, a Toyota Innova. Refined, safe, oodles of space, diesel, classy, and extremely reliable. Dont even think of anything else. The Innova would be just perfect.

Congrats in advance for the new addition to your family.
i know that innova is just perfect for us because i have driven my friend's innova on a long drive with 10 people on board. yesterday i went to toyota's showroom at worli naka along with my parents. they gave us a innova V 8 seater for test drive. my parents liked the car but my mom was complaining about the vibration of the engine which according to me was not so much & even my dad was not finding it very smooth. all this was because they were comparing this to a petrol car i.e. the ESTEEM. we asked for the quotation of g4 or gx (8seater) whatever it is and it came out to 10.5 lacs. my parents were not convinced with what they are getting in this amount. even the test drive was very short in order for them to understand the ride quality and the handling of the vehicle. so i've now decided to take them to test drive the safari, scorpio, xylo, grande.etc so that they understand wat they get by buying an innova.
nawabnabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 14:32   #21
BHPian

The best decision that you have taken IMHO. It is always good to test all the vehicles yourself with family and then take a decision. However, experience says that there will be no unanimous choice but then you will know what is the nearest match. I had tried it this way - Sumo Grande, Scorpio, Bolero ,Innova and Safari. I wanted a Safari but considering various factors including the dealer / service centre location, costs etc. and above all the votes of the users who matter (and the most voceiferous ones at that - the better half) settled for a Scorpio. It has quite usable rear seats and so does and Innova. A luggage carrier on the roof wont be out of place in scorpio as well as Innova as its not such an uncommon sight. The creature comfort is better in Innova as compared to scorpio. Se what suits your family.

Wishing you all the best for your new ride and keep us updated!
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 21:50   #22
BHPian

guys, i thank god i waited for the new scorpio to launch. i always liked the mhawk engine of the scorpio but it was way out of budget. now as they have made it affordable i have booked a test drive for sunday morning i.e. tomorrow. the sales guy is gonna get the vehicle to khopoli all the way from panvel which is around 38kms away. this thing impressed me. lets see if he turns up tomorrow. i saw around 3-4 new look scorpios in my town and let me tell you that it looks good, better than the older model. i might not go for the safari as i am scared reading tsk's report and as i own an indica turbo i know how their ASC is. i'll keep you all updated.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
guys, i thank god i waited for the new scorpio to launch. i always liked the mhawk engine of the scorpio but it was way out of budget. now as they have made it affordable i have booked a test drive for sunday morning i.e. tomorrow. the sales guy is gonna get the vehicle to khopoli all the way from panvel which is around 38kms away. this thing impressed me. lets see if he turns up tomorrow. i saw around 3-4 new look scorpios in my town and let me tell you that it looks good, better than the older model. i might not go for the safari as i am scared reading tsk's report and as i own an indica turbo i know how their ASC is. i'll keep you all updated.
Great Choice!

I think the new Scorpio SLE variant is VFM under 9Lacs! Let us know your TD report and your decision ofcourse!

Looks really muscular....

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 08:06   #24
BHPian

Default @nawabnabeel

good choice man. but there are some inputs that i would like to ask u. please check for the rear seat comfort i got news that M&M has redesigned the seats for better comforts also there have been some tweaks in suspension for better ride do check them over bad potholed road. the 2009 scorpio seems like a pretty good suv
nishant kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 11:56   #25
BHPian

ok guys theres some bad news. that guy didnt turnup with the scorpio on sunday & even on monday. now i think i will have to go to the dealership at panvel and take the test drive
Old 31st March 2009, 13:04   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
ok guys theres some bad news. that guy didnt turnup with the scorpio on sunday & even on monday. now i think i will have to go to the dealership at panvel and take the test drive
Your thread says 60% highway use.

What makes you think the Scorpio is a comfortable cruiser, have you not heard of its cramped interiors and bouncy ride.

The only Safari which had problem out of 80 odd safari's on the forum. And even his Safari's problems are now sorted out.

Test drive the Safari also, with the launch of GX you have a better VFM.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 13:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Innova is certainly the best bet. Its the most refined and comfortable of the lot barring really bad roads where Safari is better. And since you would be travelling with your family passive safety along with active safety becomes paramount. Innova with its fail safe handling, stability and car like behaviour would be just perfect.
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 13:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

IMO The Toyota Innova a far better option with your requirments! Its a superb car with no maintainance and Very good Comfort, much better than the scorpio. Will give you years of trouble free service and a good average.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 15:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
You can go for the Tata Safari or Sumo Grande both are very good vehicles.
Where is Sumo grande? We hardly see them on the roads. Is its still selling?
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 16:25   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Where is Sumo grande? We hardly see them on the roads. Is its still selling?
I noticed this as well on a recent road trip. In fact I saw so many more 2.2 VVTi Safaris than Sumo Grandes.

Rather than waste their time on the Sumo Grande, they should have just launched the next Generation Safari and it would have done well.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote