Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 3rd March 2009, 07:18   #1
BHPian

Default What should I do? (pimp my existing sierra OR....)

I currently drive a Tata sierra non turbo 98 model. It's in great condition, I bought it in December 08 for Rs.85,000. Spent nothing on maintenance or upgrades so far other than an oil change & installing a sound system for Rs.60,000. The sierra is stock (no mag wheels) except for black leather (not 100% sure, it could be rexin) seats.

I like the sturdiness of the sierra, the looks & ample space for "recreational activities". The top speed I've been able to achieve on a stretch of empty highway of 130kmph is disappointing. The pickup is somewhat sluggish but I can live with it as I do rev hard.

I have Rs.300,000 to spend now on either pimping this out or buying a different vehicle altogether.

I absolutely need top speed of at least 180kmph & an SUV/higher seating position vehicle. If I spend the money on my existing Sierra I have the following mods in mind:
  • Faster engine. I have been suggested the Tata 407's engine or upgrading to turbo against that of the Qualis. (Suggestions please)
  • Mag wheels with bigger rims
  • Upsized tubeless tyres
  • Electric sunroof
  • Much more powerful Dual AC.
  • Interior mods including sofa cum bed (opposite facing "sofas" which conjoin together to form a bed) in rear replacing stock seating, desktop computer, mini fridge etc. Changing dash to replicate that of hummer H1.
  • Paintjob (military green)
  • Truck nuts.
So what should I do, spend my limited budget on pimping out the existing Sierra, sell this & buy another (turbo) sierra and pimp that out (and transfer the music system into it), or get another vehicle altogether (which?)

Thanks in advance!
Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

dream on your not going to get above 160kmph in an suv/muv that costs below 15 lacs.

you cant just upgrade the engine to a 407s or whatever. infact IMO the most feasible if you do upgrade would be the 2.2 or the 3.0 dicor. i have no clue whether those can be fit in the sierra but if they are you will need to work on the suspension and upgrade the brakes.

bigger rims and tyres are very much possible and would be around 40k.

the sunroof too would be around 40k. only get it from webasto.

the paintjob should be around 20k+.

for the interior mods you can visit someone like dc or morfeus or agm.

i have no idea what truck nuts are. lol.

if you are going to upgrade the engine then whats the point of buying a turbo sierra?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
if you are going to upgrade the engine then whats the point of buying a turbo sierra?
As this is better than the non turbo & I thought will suffice for my needs rather than change the engine :(
Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Go get yourself a new SUV, than spending on the sierra. If you were on a shoe string budget then pimping the Sierra would have made sense.
New tyres /alloys et all are a must these days on any vehicle being presented here .
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
I absolutely need top speed of at least 180kmph & an SUV/higher seating position vehicle. If I spend the money on my existing Sierra I have the following mods in mind:
You want this and you will do the below

Quote:
  • Faster engine. I have been suggested the Tata 407's engine or upgrading to turbo against that of the Qualis. (Suggestions please)
  • Mag wheels with bigger rims
  • Upsized tubeless tyres
  • Electric sunroof
  • Much more powerful Dual AC.
  • Interior mods including sofa cum bed (opposite facing "sofas" which conjoin together to form a bed) in rear replacing stock seating, desktop computer, mini fridge etc. Changing dash to replicate that of hummer H1.
  • Paintjob (military green)
  • Truck nuts.
Other then a change in engine, the rest especially the the Interior mods will add more weight.

DESKTOP COMPUTER?? They invented smaller, lighter devices with a keyboard and mouse integrated commonly known as laptops.

Quote:
So what should I do, spend my limited budget on pimping out the existing Sierra, sell this & buy another (turbo) sierra and pimp that out (and transfer the music system into it), or get another vehicle altogether (which?)
Pimping somehow dosent seem right. Unless the garage modifying your ride takes it literally and well...

For speeds in the 130+ with SUV intentions in mind. Sell the Sierra for a lakh or so + 3 lakhs and look for a Safari. It comes with a bed as standard.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:42   #6
BHPian

The Sensible choice would be to sell this SIerra and get a new vehicle. But, if you are crazy enough for a Sierra than pimp your ride, nothing comes close to it. But, in no way you can make it fly at 180 kmph.
And, i hope its not gonna be your everyday ride. Monsters like this should be pimped only for weekend use.
ScorpMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 16:18   #7
BHPian

@Evil

Questions like this will get N number of opinions in this forum, and its not because our members are for or against anything but they don't want you to spend your money just on anything, other than the best. At the end of the day its your money my friend you should not feel that you made a mistake.

Hence you have to decide.

If you go for selling your Sierra and +3 and go for a Safari , then we have a huge number of Safari Gurus and Safari Threads that can help you with your mods and queries.

If you want to redo your Sierra then we have threads to help you with those as well.

In my opinion , as i am a Sierra owner[1999 Sierra Turbo] and my friend have a Safari[2.2 DICOR] , i guess if you go by maintanence , its more or less the same. May be Sierra , a bit difficult to find spare parts so easily but still you can.

Performance: In 4L i don't think you might get a Safari Dicor which can give you 160kmph[in a safe zone], hence you have to settle with Safari 2L which houses the same turbo engine as a Sierra turbo and you will end up in 140kmph[safe zone].

Seating: Definitely a 5star for Safari as its a 5-door vehicle and especially good when you have aged people frequently using the vehicle.

These are things that i can differentiate, and as i told its my opinion can be different for others.
vishnu7185 is offline   Reply With Quote