Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 26th August 2009, 17:49   #61
Default i bought xylo e8

had evaluated both innova and xylo, before choosing a xylo E8 ABS, I got it delivered last month and have now driven 2100 kms in it, i went through the below process of evaluation,

a) i had driven innova extensively, over more than 5000 kms over a period of 2 years. It is one hell of an MUV, great road manners and dynamics, feels absolutely like driving a normal RWD sedan. But i felt it was under powdered, i had upgraded from an accent VIVA CRDI with petes tuning box and found innova too sluggish for my liking.

b) i went with xylo because of following reasons, in the descending order of importance for me.

1) My budget was limited to 9.5 lakhs max, at this price, i could only buy the innova base version.
2) I found xylo's engine more powerful and peppy, after 15,000 kms i plan to add a pete's tuning box which will help me tap 145 bhp from this engine.
3) Space in Xylo was much better, especially the third row.
4) Xylo had better GC, allowing me to do some softroading and drive thru some bad village roads which i can't do with an innova.
4) I do 2500-3000 kms a month and XYLO was being offered with 100,000 kms shield warranty from mahindra, additionally service costs and cost of spare parts are typically 10-15% cheaper with mahindras.

I did not like the following things in Xylo
1) Body roll at high speeds is much higher than innova, you will not like this if you are graduating from a sedan and probably will take few thousand kilometers to get used to it.
2) quality of plastics inside is cheap,
3) Too many creaks and squeaks inside the cabin, NVH levels are much higher than what you get in a sedan

I found xylo to be worth the money that i was willing to pay for. It is not the best MUV for sure, but great value for money at the price it is being offered, let me put it this way, Innova is a better MUV, but XYLO E8 with ABS is a steal at the price at which it is being offered. I paid 8.92 on the road with insurance, tax, under body coating for XYLO E8 with alloy wheels, ABS, Digital Drive assit, reverse parking sensors, 2 DIN audio system, all stock.
sijil.karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 18:16   #62
Senior - BHPian

@ ET:

yes, innova's handling is way better than the xylo.

as far as the other points are concerned, my replies below:

1) my definition of refinement: good NVH. the innova's engine is more noisy than the xylo & tyre noise is more in innova too.
2) driveability: not trying to contradict your views, but as far as i am concerned, xylo is more driveable. it offers better preformance too. i dont know how many would agree to numbers but xylo's 0-100 kmph timing is 14.6 seconds & innova's is 17.3 seconds. i would like to state here that my comment on the xylo's driveability is not based on the above numbers.
3) forget the height adjustment. there are many other cool features in the xylo which the innova does not offer, except airbags & automatic climate control.
4) toughness: innova's body is very weak. i have numerous incidents & experiences to share on this. the paint quality of innova is pathetic. i am saying this on account of my own ownership experience. no such problems with the xylo.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 18:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i would like to state some facts here as i feel the xylo is the most underrated MUV around. many negative comments about the xylo are floating around in this forum, some from users who have never sat in a xylo!

before that, a disclaimer:
1) i own a innova & i love it.
2) i hate the xylo FOR ITS LOOKS & will never consider buying it, just because of the looks.

1) the xylo is as spacious as the innova, the 3rd of xylo is more spacious than the 3rd row of innova.
2) engine of xylo is more refined than innova, believe it or not!
3) driveability of xylo is better than innova.
4) feature wise, the innova is spartan compared to the loaded xylo.
5) pricing of the xylo is spot on making it fantastic value for money.
6) paint quality & toughness of xylo is better than innova.
7) FE of xylo is more than innova.

so where does the innova score?
1) interior design & quality of innova is leagues ahead.
2) brand image of toyota is much better than innova.
3) ride quality of innova is better than xylo.
4) innova offers airbags (if you have the budget to buy the top end variant) which the xylo does not.
5) A.S.S of toyota, though expensive, is much much better than mahindra.
. The innova has been a tried and tested vehicle. The Xylo has also been put through numerous tests before it was launched. I am sure most of you here are aware that the interiors of the Xylo were designed before the exterior shell was designed. The interior plastics are however horrible on the Xylo. Drive the Xylo and Innova frequently and you immediately notice that the Xylo is more fun to drive and is more responsive. The Innova is a tad underpowered than the Innova. This is my personal opinion.

I have my bet on the Xylo and I am quite happy with it. Please understand that I was a prospective Innova customer.

I agree with raj that most people who have never sat or driven a Xylo pass biased comments, primary reason being the Xylo is not a looker.

Asthetcis can be improved on after market fitmets. A tyre upgrade and decent set of wheels will surely give the Xylo an even meaner stance. Mine are on the way.

Let me add, the ingress is much easier for the Innova than the Xylo.

Last edited by beejay : 26th August 2009 at 18:22. Reason: Let me add...
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 20:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

@ ET: Comparing Innova and Xylo are like comparing apples and oranges, or rather Washington Apples and Kashmir Apples (You take your pick, which is which)

Everyone here acknowledges that the Innova is a superb product but that superb ness does come at a cost and about 2-3 lakhs at that. If someone has the money there is nothing like it, but if someone is constrained on budget front, then the Xylo is a very good buy. And forget not each has its own pros and cons as reported by others. In the end to sum it up nicely, its like travelling either in Business Class or First Class on a flight.
MileCruncher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 12:24   #65
Senior - BHPian

Well it would be innova any day compared to xylo.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 17:42   #66
Default Go for Innova

I strongly advice you to go for Innova.Whatever may be the features in Xylo, Innova is far superior.
B.R.S.Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 17:05   #67

I was in the same dilemma last week.

But last week, i booked Innova after going through our enclyclopedia of TEAM BHP. Overall, i feel toyota innova is a better package than Xylo.

My vote is for Innova!!!!
lovesujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 22:44   #68
Team-BHP Support

Long distance travel, is amazing feeling in Innova. Absolutely brilliant.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote