Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 15th April 2009, 14:59   #16
Team-BHP Support

If you are buying on loan, due to lower interest rate a Brand new EX 4x4 will mean only slightly higher EMI for you.
However if you really want ABS and Airbags, then you can go for this vehicle provided the detailed report looks okay.
Unless the owner has done work outside of A.S.S. all the details should be in Tata computerized system. Its not exactly foolproof, but is pretty indicative
Old 15th April 2009, 15:03   #17
BHPian

shatrugna all the best, in case you are going for it! I feel your urge and desire to go for it in your post!

Reading the thread this is what i would take away from reading others opinion:
Go for NEW Safari 4 x 4 if you are so keen about it (Safari AND 4 X 4) - extra money
Go for NEW Safari 2 x 2 LX if you compromise 4 X 4 (Just Safari) - same money
Go for NEW Xenon 4 X 4 for less (Just 4 X 4) - less money

All these better to go for NEW vehicles, trust me in this, than going for a used car which has taken real abuse. Take it - the car has been re-painted by reading from your words, tyre rotation not done, sound on engaging 4X4 - means something. I personally feel that your liking for safari shouldn't go with the purchase - just my
opinion.

Take care - anyways am sure you will do as your heart says and its a heart car.
Cheers!
Old 15th April 2009, 15:19   #18
BHPian

Thanks to all . Parallely I have activated other channels to get the info on the specific car. It appears that the same car was used in Ferrari rally in Feb 2008 on all India tour and no wonder wasan just passed it on to their partners while must have got paid by tata to maintain and register the car and got a replacement car as well after the rally and on other hand passed on this car to their partners as new car at half the price or so. Interesting development.
@TSK - I am not going for loan at this price but if I go for new GX/VX then I may have to wait for some days and also eat into my cash reserve comfort zone so not a good idea.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

In this case the 8L is a bit too much.
Looks like they are trying to make huge profit at your expense!
Old 15th April 2009, 15:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
shatrugna all the best, in case you are going for it! I feel your urge and desire to go for it in your post!

Reading the thread this is what i would take away from reading others opinion:
Go for NEW Safari 4 x 4 if you are so keen about it (Safari AND 4 X 4) - extra money
Go for NEW Safari 2 x 2 LX if you compromise 4 X 4 (Just Safari) - same money
Go for NEW Xenon 4 X 4 for less (Just 4 X 4) - less money

All these better to go for NEW vehicles, trust me in this, than going for a used car which has taken real abuse. Take it - the car has been re-painted by reading from your words, tyre rotation not done, sound on engaging 4X4 - means something. I personally feel that your liking for safari shouldn't go with the purchase - just my
opinion.

Take care - anyways am sure you will do as your heart says and its a heart car.
Cheers!
Thanks . If not this one, then its going to be definitely new 4*4 GX or VX & Safari as I didnt like Endeav, Pajero,nor captiva for some strange reason and may be I dont find them VFM as compared to Scorp / Safari- may be TBHP effect. Naah , I intend to use it like my M800- rough and hard on all the 66 speed breakers that I encounter enroute to my work and back - with vengeance and sometime go to Leh via manali - spiti and also to Badrinath this year itself (2009). This car is a piece of history been round the country with ferrari's - only if it could boast like us humans of its associations and past. Anyway, I ll make sure its not a lemon - else, again all the calculations will have to be redone.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:33   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Thanks to all . Parallely I have activated other channels to get the info on the specific car. It appears that the same car was used in Ferrari rally in Feb 2008 on all India tour and no wonder wasan just passed it on to their partners while must have got paid by tata to maintain and register the car and got a replacement car as well after the rally and on other hand passed on this car to their partners as new car at half the price or so. Interesting development.
@TSK - I am not going for loan at this price but if I go for new GX/VX then I may have to wait for some days and also eat into my cash reserve comfort zone so not a good idea.
Shatrugna, its good that you did good ground job and got the details of the vehicle and the way it was used.

After getting these details would you like to pay that much amount on the vehicle which has been abused like no mans area, whoever the owner is ttrying to make money out of your buy.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
This car is a piece of history
It is?? Thats a new one for buying a car. Such a thing would make me run away from that buy.
Old 16th April 2009, 11:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
It is?? Thats a new one for buying a car. Such a thing would make me run away from that buy.
Please, dont take me too seriously. It was just one of the quotes I was finding for me to sell this to myself. I am also getting scared of it.
Perhaps I need a reference of a good mechanic in Mumbai of Tata Safari if someone could please.

Fortune motors guy who inspected the vehicle told me after test drive- it is not a 4*4 and when I showed it to him then he admitted he didnt know about 4*4s. Yesterday - they quoted 1050 /- for inspection and estimate and today they quoted Rs. 1500/- for the same- without any work - not even general washing. Thats what I call daylight robbery. Is safari really such a machine that even for a thourough inspection - which is expected to take approx. 1 hr max on the ramp and on the road - I should pay 1500/- .

Problems galore and its becoming interesting. Before I turn my back- I need to learn a lot about what all possibly could go wrong in a safari and good that before I muster courage to pick up a new one, I get some experience with the used one.
Old 16th April 2009, 11:55   #24
BHPian

shatrughna, I feel that the charges are exorbitent as well, for that expertise about 4X4 and all. Why dont you post asking for some expert help from our TBHP Safari expert owners? Just a thought and try that out, if its going to help.

And I think its a great idea to learn from this and move on, all the best!
Old 16th April 2009, 12:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Problems galore and its becoming interesting. Before I turn my back- I need to learn a lot about what all possibly could go wrong in a safari and good that before I muster courage to pick up a new one, I get some experience with the used one.
That's a good way to look at it - learn as much as you can from this one, but IMHO you should not buy it. There are just too many issues as you have mentioned. And these are the ones that you know of... there could be more skeletons in the closet that come tumbling out a couple of months down the line.
I know it's not easy letting go of a car that you have dreamed of owning when you have the chance to buy it, but - do listen to your head along with your heart
It's always a dicey proposition buying a used car, more so when it is a car whose history you are not fully aware of. In your case, you have the advantage of knowing some potential problems - use this knowledge.

Hunt around for another used Safari 4x4, or go for a new one. A new one would equate to greater peace of mind and of course, you'll get the new 2.2 engine!
Old 16th April 2009, 13:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Why are you avoiding the Xenon? I would buy a new Xenon in a jiffy - if the Safari is the only other choice for me!
Old 16th April 2009, 13:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please, dont take me too seriously. It was just one of the quotes I was finding for me to sell this to myself. I am also getting scared of it.
Perhaps I need a reference of a good mechanic in Mumbai of Tata Safari if someone could please.

Fortune motors guy who inspected the vehicle told me after test drive- it is not a 4*4 and when I showed it to him then he admitted he didnt know about 4*4s. Yesterday - they quoted 1050 /- for inspection and estimate and today they quoted Rs. 1500/- for the same- without any work - not even general washing. Thats what I call daylight robbery. Is safari really such a machine that even for a thourough inspection - which is expected to take approx. 1 hr max on the ramp and on the road - I should pay 1500/- .

OK I have a different opinion then all others here , If you can bargain further may be 7 Lakhs then this could be a VFM , 4X4 VX provided you get it checked properly and there are no engine and mechanical issue.

Again If and Only If you are mentally prepared to take a calculated risk.

As suggested earlier go to Concord it is a TML subsidery and generally bettern then others. Maps for Concord in Mumbai are.

Concord motors mumbai - Google Maps

About the inspection charges at fortune actually 1500 is labor charge for Paid service at most of the TML workshops and I guess they do not have any other item in thier billing system so charging you for paid service.

In bangalore I remember seeing some thing like 453Rs on the notice board as Inspection Charge @ Prerana during my last service.

Regards
Old 16th April 2009, 13:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Fortune motors guy who inspected the vehicle told me after test drive- it is not a 4*4 and when I showed it to him then he admitted he didnt know about 4*4s. Yesterday - they quoted 1050 /- for inspection and estimate and today they quoted Rs. 1500/- for the same- without any work - not even general washing.

RUN AWAY!

Hell - if he needs 'help' to deduce a 4x4 from a 4x2, then I doubt he will know his front end from his rear!

Take it to Concorde! Better still - drop it all together! (I would!)
Closed Thread