Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 14:59   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,639 Times
Default

If you are buying on loan, due to lower interest rate a Brand new EX 4x4 will mean only slightly higher EMI for you.
However if you really want ABS and Airbags, then you can go for this vehicle provided the detailed report looks okay.
Unless the owner has done work outside of A.S.S. all the details should be in Tata computerized system. Its not exactly foolproof, but is pretty indicative
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 15th April 2009, 15:03   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: KA 53/KL 9
Posts: 259
Thanked: 124 Times
Default

shatrugna all the best, in case you are going for it! I feel your urge and desire to go for it in your post!

Reading the thread this is what i would take away from reading others opinion:
Go for NEW Safari 4 x 4 if you are so keen about it (Safari AND 4 X 4) - extra money
Go for NEW Safari 2 x 2 LX if you compromise 4 X 4 (Just Safari) - same money
Go for NEW Xenon 4 X 4 for less (Just 4 X 4) - less money

All these better to go for NEW vehicles, trust me in this, than going for a used car which has taken real abuse. Take it - the car has been re-painted by reading from your words, tyre rotation not done, sound on engaging 4X4 - means something. I personally feel that your liking for safari shouldn't go with the purchase - just my
opinion.

Take care - anyways am sure you will do as your heart says and its a heart car.
Cheers!
narayanang76 is offline  
Old 15th April 2009, 15:19   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 886
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Thanks to all . Parallely I have activated other channels to get the info on the specific car. It appears that the same car was used in Ferrari rally in Feb 2008 on all India tour and no wonder wasan just passed it on to their partners while must have got paid by tata to maintain and register the car and got a replacement car as well after the rally and on other hand passed on this car to their partners as new car at half the price or so. Interesting development.
@TSK - I am not going for loan at this price but if I go for new GX/VX then I may have to wait for some days and also eat into my cash reserve comfort zone so not a good idea.
shatrughna is offline  
Old 15th April 2009, 15:26   #19
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,639 Times
Default

In this case the 8L is a bit too much.
Looks like they are trying to make huge profit at your expense!
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 15th April 2009, 15:32   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 886
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
shatrugna all the best, in case you are going for it! I feel your urge and desire to go for it in your post!

Reading the thread this is what i would take away from reading others opinion:
Go for NEW Safari 4 x 4 if you are so keen about it (Safari AND 4 X 4) - extra money
Go for NEW Safari 2 x 2 LX if you compromise 4 X 4 (Just Safari) - same money
Go for NEW Xenon 4 X 4 for less (Just 4 X 4) - less money

All these better to go for NEW vehicles, trust me in this, than going for a used car which has taken real abuse. Take it - the car has been re-painted by reading from your words, tyre rotation not done, sound on engaging 4X4 - means something. I personally feel that your liking for safari shouldn't go with the purchase - just my
opinion.

Take care - anyways am sure you will do as your heart says and its a heart car.
Cheers!
Thanks . If not this one, then its going to be definitely new 4*4 GX or VX & Safari as I didnt like Endeav, Pajero,nor captiva for some strange reason and may be I dont find them VFM as compared to Scorp / Safari- may be TBHP effect. Naah , I intend to use it like my M800- rough and hard on all the 66 speed breakers that I encounter enroute to my work and back - with vengeance and sometime go to Leh via manali - spiti and also to Badrinath this year itself (2009). This car is a piece of history been round the country with ferrari's - only if it could boast like us humans of its associations and past. Anyway, I ll make sure its not a lemon - else, again all the calculations will have to be redone.
shatrughna is offline  
Old 15th April 2009, 15:33   #21
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Thanks to all . Parallely I have activated other channels to get the info on the specific car. It appears that the same car was used in Ferrari rally in Feb 2008 on all India tour and no wonder wasan just passed it on to their partners while must have got paid by tata to maintain and register the car and got a replacement car as well after the rally and on other hand passed on this car to their partners as new car at half the price or so. Interesting development.
@TSK - I am not going for loan at this price but if I go for new GX/VX then I may have to wait for some days and also eat into my cash reserve comfort zone so not a good idea.
Shatrugna, its good that you did good ground job and got the details of the vehicle and the way it was used.

After getting these details would you like to pay that much amount on the vehicle which has been abused like no mans area, whoever the owner is ttrying to make money out of your buy.
gowda79 is offline  
Old 15th April 2009, 18:21   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
This car is a piece of history
It is?? Thats a new one for buying a car. Such a thing would make me run away from that buy.
Spitfire is offline  
Old 16th April 2009, 11:37   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 886
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
It is?? Thats a new one for buying a car. Such a thing would make me run away from that buy.
Please, dont take me too seriously. It was just one of the quotes I was finding for me to sell this to myself. I am also getting scared of it.
Perhaps I need a reference of a good mechanic in Mumbai of Tata Safari if someone could please.

Fortune motors guy who inspected the vehicle told me after test drive- it is not a 4*4 and when I showed it to him then he admitted he didnt know about 4*4s. Yesterday - they quoted 1050 /- for inspection and estimate and today they quoted Rs. 1500/- for the same- without any work - not even general washing. Thats what I call daylight robbery. Is safari really such a machine that even for a thourough inspection - which is expected to take approx. 1 hr max on the ramp and on the road - I should pay 1500/- .

Problems galore and its becoming interesting. Before I turn my back- I need to learn a lot about what all possibly could go wrong in a safari and good that before I muster courage to pick up a new one, I get some experience with the used one.
shatrughna is offline  
Old 16th April 2009, 11:55   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: KA 53/KL 9
Posts: 259
Thanked: 124 Times
Default

shatrughna, I feel that the charges are exorbitent as well, for that expertise about 4X4 and all. Why dont you post asking for some expert help from our TBHP Safari expert owners? Just a thought and try that out, if its going to help.

And I think its a great idea to learn from this and move on, all the best!
narayanang76 is offline  
Old 16th April 2009, 12:35   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,875
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Problems galore and its becoming interesting. Before I turn my back- I need to learn a lot about what all possibly could go wrong in a safari and good that before I muster courage to pick up a new one, I get some experience with the used one.
That's a good way to look at it - learn as much as you can from this one, but IMHO you should not buy it. There are just too many issues as you have mentioned. And these are the ones that you know of... there could be more skeletons in the closet that come tumbling out a couple of months down the line.
I know it's not easy letting go of a car that you have dreamed of owning when you have the chance to buy it, but - do listen to your head along with your heart
It's always a dicey proposition buying a used car, more so when it is a car whose history you are not fully aware of. In your case, you have the advantage of knowing some potential problems - use this knowledge.

Hunt around for another used Safari 4x4, or go for a new one. A new one would equate to greater peace of mind and of course, you'll get the new 2.2 engine!
razor4077 is offline  
Old 16th April 2009, 13:19   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,180
Thanked: 1,107 Times
Default

Why are you avoiding the Xenon? I would buy a new Xenon in a jiffy - if the Safari is the only other choice for me!
Red Liner is online now  
Old 16th April 2009, 13:39   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 381 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Please, dont take me too seriously. It was just one of the quotes I was finding for me to sell this to myself. I am also getting scared of it.
Perhaps I need a reference of a good mechanic in Mumbai of Tata Safari if someone could please.

Fortune motors guy who inspected the vehicle told me after test drive- it is not a 4*4 and when I showed it to him then he admitted he didnt know about 4*4s. Yesterday - they quoted 1050 /- for inspection and estimate and today they quoted Rs. 1500/- for the same- without any work - not even general washing. Thats what I call daylight robbery. Is safari really such a machine that even for a thourough inspection - which is expected to take approx. 1 hr max on the ramp and on the road - I should pay 1500/- .

Problems galore and its becoming interesting. Before I turn my back- I need to learn a lot about what all possibly could go wrong in a safari and good that before I muster courage to pick up a new one, I get some experience with the used one.
OK I have a different opinion then all others here , If you can bargain further may be 7 Lakhs then this could be a VFM , 4X4 VX provided you get it checked properly and there are no engine and mechanical issue.

Again If and Only If you are mentally prepared to take a calculated risk.

As suggested earlier go to Concord it is a TML subsidery and generally bettern then others. Maps for Concord in Mumbai are.

Concord motors mumbai - Google Maps

About the inspection charges at fortune actually 1500 is labor charge for Paid service at most of the TML workshops and I guess they do not have any other item in thier billing system so charging you for paid service.

In bangalore I remember seeing some thing like 453Rs on the notice board as Inspection Charge @ Prerana during my last service.

Regards
amitk26 is online now  
Old 16th April 2009, 13:47   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post

Fortune motors guy who inspected the vehicle told me after test drive- it is not a 4*4 and when I showed it to him then he admitted he didnt know about 4*4s. Yesterday - they quoted 1050 /- for inspection and estimate and today they quoted Rs. 1500/- for the same- without any work - not even general washing.

RUN AWAY!

Hell - if he needs 'help' to deduce a 4x4 from a 4x2, then I doubt he will know his front end from his rear!

Take it to Concorde! Better still - drop it all together! (I would!)
kb100 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urgent help needed. please help-Santro Xing not starting iron.head Technical Stuff 3 12th May 2012 08:27
Is used Safari worth a look? - Safari owners please comment. Makesh SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 2 22nd April 2010 16:37
need help ultra urgent! used zen 2005/2006 model is it a good buy? rider60 Hatchbacks 0 31st December 2007 18:58
Need urgent help regarding Insurance claim Please!! sidd_city Indian Car Loans & Insurance 6 9th November 2007 16:44
Please Help Urgent Need Of Aural Pleasure!!!!! frankmehta Modifications & Accessories 28 6th April 2006 23:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks