Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 6th May 2009, 08:03   #16
BHPian

Why dont you test drive Chevrolet Forrester?
Bazius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 12:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazius View Post
Why dont you test drive Chevrolet Forrester?
Its a 5 seater and discontinued so spares will be a problem.
litesaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 14:53   #18
BHPian

IMO go for a new XYLO, will fit your budget easily.

Or else, go for a used petrol innova, as your running is very less. Dont worry about resale, if you want to keep it for 4-5 years. Max 50K-70K difference could be there for a 7-8 years old innova, 2nd owner.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 19:41   #19
BHPian

Question Sedan or an SUV

Hi Guys,
I have been in the confused state of mind to go for an SUV or stick to Sedan. As a background, I am based out of Mumbai and clock 40 to 50 Kms a day and twice a month trips to Pune.

So pretty much city drive all the time, I am currently i driving NHC Vtec and i am very happy with the car and over all performance but i am sick of bad roads and may be want to try something bigger than the City and want to try a BIGGER car this time.

Now I have short listed

Lenia (Diesel)
Verna (Diesel Automatic)
ANHC Auto

or

Safari GX
Scorpio Vlx

Here is where i need help, on the Safari and Scorpio, I am not too sure on if these are trouble free cars, like common issues like oil drips or noisy belts, starting issue, etc and also resale value after 4 yrs?

My father had the privilege of owning the indica V1 and V2 and was sick of the issues, finally they made way for the Swift Vxi, I am not sure if Safari has the same DNA as the Indica from the TATA’s and is it prone to similar issues, where you have to visit the service station once a few weeks.

I like the Safari GX, but I am not sure if that is right car to invest 10 lacs+, will need help from group on their views. I have seen the ownership reviews for the Safari but still I am not too sure.
amitk2kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 10:53   #20
BHPian

I was faced with the same decision a month ago. Had a five year old Optra 1.8 petrol, which my wife and I were perfectly happy with. We were away to the US for a couple of years, where we drove a premium SUV. Upon return to India, and now with a baby, Optra was just not meeting our requirements.

My personal choice was the top end model of Innova diesel, but my wife shot it down due to its taxi image. We ended up getting an Endeavour, which I am quite happy with. I would recommend the Innova and would suggest getting a new vehicle even if it means stretching a bit. Given that you have 5+ years of ownership in mind, a new vehicle is the way to go. MAKE SURE YOU GET A VEHICLE WITH A REAR AC VENT, THAT HAS PROVEN TO BE THE BIGGEST ASSET OF OUR NEW VEHICLE AS FAR AS OUR BABY GOES (she also travels on the car seat).

Amit - Decide on SUV/MUV or sedan based on your needs, 'bigger' is quite subjective and bigger may not always be better. For bad roads, you need a vehicle with a good suspension and decent ground clearance, not necessarily a bigger vehicle. All the best for your hunt, always an exciting time !!

Cheers,

Sandy
sandy16000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 12:53   #21
BHPian

Amit,

After driving NHC, Linea, Verna, ANHC wont be called upgradation (not bigger)

Safari, Scorpio or even Innova are SUVs, you can definitely try out for that.

IMO Corolla Altis AT will be perfectly suited for you. Have a test drive & decide.

In SUVs All mentioned here are good in their ways. Its your choice buddy.

Can also think of Ford Endevour (as Sandy have chosen). IMO it is the best bet in that price.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hello Amit,

Unless you like the thrill that comes with an SUV, buying a Scorpio/Safari isn't very logical. You may want to look at the new Innova if you plan on increasing your highway driving. Looks might be a compromise there! You can go in for the Endeavour or the CRV if cost isn't a huge factor.

I have been driving a Scorpio mHawk for 6 months now, and have thankfuly had no trouble with it whatsoever. However it is generally accepted that SUVs require higher maintenance.

I also believe that the Linea is *bigger* than the ANHC and is almost the size of the Corolla Altis. So unless again you are a driving enthusiast, it would seem a decent choice. I think Linea's suspension is quite well adapted for our roads.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:27   #23
BHPian

Last week i test drove the Safari 4x4 VXI, loved the feel and presence on the road, but did not like the interiors of the car. So Safari is knocked off my list, this week will try the Scorpio.
amitk2kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Safari: lacks of good interiros, you can notice lot of gaps between the switches & looks dab old interiors.
Scorpio: looks good and has nice torque for city driving.interios are better when compared to safari but not top notch.
Innova: rules the rooster in this league. Classy interiors, very comfortable for highway as well as city drive. Peace of mind with A.S.S.
The top model has Automatic climate control, volume controls on steering (Scorpio), airbags, rear third row AC vents etc.
This would be the ideal deal for you and will be a wise move from Honda to Toyota.

Peted innova is a knight Rider for other vehicles.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 23rd June 2009 at 10:58.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:48   #25
BHPian

I TD the Scorpio last Sunday with a friend who has booked one. It felt pretty decent to drive. The clutch and the gear felt not very sure at times, but overall, its great VFM at this price point. He is not going for the top trip by the way, which has alloys and gadgets. Given Mahindra, these gadgets may not last long anyway.

I am still in love with the Endy though, and after doing 5,000 kms, I am convinced I made the right choice, leaf springs notwithstanding.

Cheers,

Sandy
sandy16000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 22:16   #26
BHPian

Default finally got an innova

I've been seeing various cars over the last three months. I test drove a 2004 Elantra, a 2004 CRV, a 2005 Tucson, two 2005 Innova Petrol V and 2 Innova Diesel V.

I finally found the vehicle I liked! I bought a 2006 Innova V 2.0 done 18k kms. Took the car to Nandi Toyota and had a checkup done. Closed the deal after the thumbs up from them. I paid 6.4L for this Innova.

Thanks for all the support and guidance guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Please help: MUV/SUV or Sedan-aamir-115.jpg  

Please help: MUV/SUV or Sedan-aamir-112.jpg  

Please help: MUV/SUV or Sedan-aamir-109.jpg  

Please help: MUV/SUV or Sedan-aamir-108.jpg  

Old 20th July 2009, 23:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase! The car look pretty well maintained.

BTW isn't V the top end variant and supposed to Rear A/C as well?
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 23:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

@ litesaber: hi buddy, which variant is this innova? judging by the badging, airbags, wooden inserts in dashboard, chrome mirrors & roof mounted AC, i think its the V variant. but then it is supposed to have alloy wheels & your car has steel wheels.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 09:09   #29
BHPian

Its the V variant. The alloys were stolen in 2007 and previous owner choose to replace them with steel wheels. This was the only sore point in this car.

It has ABS, Airbags, 3 row AC vents and a DVD player with popout screen behind the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ litesaber: hi buddy, which variant is this innova? judging by the badging, airbags, wooden inserts in dashboard, chrome mirrors & roof mounted AC, i think its the V variant. but then it is supposed to have alloy wheels & your car has steel wheels.
Old 21st July 2009, 09:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
Its the V variant. The alloys were stolen in 2007 and previous owner choose to replace them with steel wheels. This was the only sore point in this car.
better! now you can install your own alloys. in bangalore, you will be spoilt for choices.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote