Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 9th May 2009, 10:23   #1
BHPian

Default Tata Safari VX or GX - help and tips required

After reading a lot of reviews on the safari 2.2 (and some very entertaining Safari vs Scorpio threads), I have finally decided to book a Safari next week.
I have a few queries and was hoping you guys could help
1. Is the safari VX worth the extra lakh over the GX ? I know it has airbags and the rear-view cam, but still
2. Tata motors is offering a Rs. 25,000/- dicount on the safari at present, but the dealer is not offering any more freebies except some floor mats and perfume etc. Do you think I should drive a harder bargain ? anyone with any experience on this ?
3. I would also like to know the list of accessories one should have for the Safari, utility-wise, I am not looking for anything fancy at present.
4. Usually vehicles have atleast 2 OEM manufacturers when it comes to tyres. Any idea who these are for the current batches of the safari and which one should i bargain / ask for ?
5. We are planning on driving down to Banglore and Mysore from Ahmedabad, which would be appoximately 1000 Kms each way,
around the 19th of June. Any tips on this since the safari would not have time to 'run-in' before this. A list of must carry spares would also help eg. fuses etc
6 Anyother words of advise/tips form exisiting safari owners are always welcome

Thanks in advance.
umang dutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 11:47   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
After reading a lot of reviews on the safari 2.2 (and some very entertaining Safari vs Scorpio threads), I have finally decided to book a Safari next week.
Congrats on the best decision of your life ! There is more entertainment waiting for you once you are in your own safari. To me the GX makes more VFM. And talking of the bargain, i would suggest you tell the dealer that the other car that you are looking is the new Innova and need more time to decide. Generally works and you should get a call after you reach home from the dealership

Last edited by chaxy : 9th May 2009 at 11:52.
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 13:16   #3
BHPian

hello umang dutt, I am Aman Sachdev , "getzzzzz" on flickr. (You inquired me about my safari after seeing my pics.)
Congrats you finally decided to go for safari.
I will suggest you to go for VX.
VX is really worth , Safety should come first...

Last edited by AMAN_SACHDEV : 9th May 2009 at 13:19.
AMAN_SACHDEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 13:43   #4
BHPian

I will consider Safari GX a good VFM as opposed to Safari VX even though I myself own a VX and have not found any faults with the car but I had bought it at a time when there was no GX option!

Reasons for my opinion are:

1. DVD Player with screens is a matter of choice and I would rather fit one that I like than suffice with company provided Alpine System.

2. Reverse sensors are just about as useful as Reverse Camera, sometimes more so!

3. Half leather seats v Full leather seats is not that big an issue.

4. That leaves us with the feature of Airbags - which I must agree is a great safety addition, but at the same time I am cynical of this feature considering having been involved in an accident with Skoda Octavia where Airbags did not inflate even after full frontal impact, I have began to doubt their validity. I am more of a SEATBELT wearing person and consider it the biggest safety feature in any car. Further, Safari is compliant with most stringent Crash safety norms, Only Indian Car/UV to suffice such norms.

5. As an addition, you get to choose dual tone colour which might tickle your fancy (Black + Real Earth is brilliant combination)

In any case, whatever be your choice the underlining point is that you will enjoy your Safari a lot and will fall in love with it.
akhilesh51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 17:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The only option that I miss in the GX is the airbags. All the other fluff you can either live without or add after market. GX is more value. I think you should drive a bigger bargain than the 25K offered by Tata motors. With the revised pricing of the new Scorpio and availabitiy of Mhawk in the full range I think Safari is over priced by about a lakh when you consider that the Scorpio SLE can be had with all the standard options including ABS and the mhawk engine for 8.2 lakhs ex-showroom.

I understand that many features offered by the Safari and the image is better than the Scorpio but they ought to rationalize the Safari prices to compete with the revised Scorpio. 1.5 lakh premium for a comparable model is too high.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 18:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

agree with this. at the same time, despite all the various makeovers the safari has had, it still somehow comes across as "psychologically disturbing" in the sense that one can never be sure whats likely to suddenly die on one.
it is very expensive too, for the GX 4x2 or 4x4 compared with competition as you've mentioned. 1.5 lacs premium is not justifiable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The only option that I miss in the GX is the airbags. All the other fluff you can either live without or add after market. GX is more value. I think you should drive a bigger bargain than the 25K offered by Tata motors. With the revised pricing of the new Scorpio and availabitiy of Mhawk in the full range I think Safari is over priced by about a lakh when you consider that the Scorpio SLE can be had with all the standard options including ABS and the mhawk engine for 8.2 lakhs ex-showroom.

I understand that many features offered by the Safari and the image is better than the Scorpio but they ought to rationalize the Safari prices to compete with the revised Scorpio. 1.5 lakh premium for a comparable model is too high.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 18:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the revised pricing of the new Scorpio and availabitiy of Mhawk in the full range I think Safari is over priced by about a lakh when you consider that the Scorpio SLE can be had with all the standard options including ABS and the mhawk engine for 8.2 lakhs ex-showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
agree with this. at the same time, despite all the various makeovers the safari has had, it still somehow comes across as "psychologically disturbing" in the sense that one can never be sure whats likely to suddenly die on one.
it is very expensive too, for the GX 4x2 or 4x4 compared with competition as you've mentioned. 1.5 lacs premium is not justifiable.
guys, i hope this does not trigger off a scorpio v/s safari debate, AGAIN!

umang has already read the scorpio v/s safari thread & it is the safari which appeals more to him.

@ umang: buddy, i would suggest you the GX instead of the VX. the price you pay for the VX & the features you get in it doesnt make it a value for money proposition. the only good feature you may miss in the GX is the airbags. others like DVD screens & reverse cameras are useless once the new-car euphoria dies out. are you planning for a 4x2 or 4x4?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 18:28   #8
BHPian

Out of curiosity, how is the image of the Safari better than the Scorpio?

Quote:

Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 18:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Raj:

I am not questioning his decision to buy the Safari. I think he should go ahead if that's his wish. All I am suggesting is to drive a bigger bargain cause I feel the premium Tata is charging vs the competition too high.

Frankly, I like both vehicles but the difference is price is hard for me to ignore.
Old 9th May 2009, 18:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

the man is spending his money - I dont want to question that.
however it is an expensive thing - 1.5 lacs is good hard cash so might as well shove in a word or two ref that. And yes, 4x4 is correct - MUST drive a harder bargain - after all we are in "recession" and every car manufacturer is scrambling over each other in their eagerness to attract the buyer.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 20:36   #11
BHPian

Wow ! thanks everyone for the suggestions. Believe me this was never intended to be a Sarari vs Scorpio thread . Anyways the decision has been made ( a little earlier than expected ). Booked a Cycus Grey, Tata Safari GX 4X2 today.

I thought long and hard about it and realized that to me the VX was not worth the extra lakh and neither was the extra lakh for the 4X4.

So finally here's the deal that I got.
For 10.76 lakhs - Car + 4 year warranty + Insurance & the usual floor mats + mud flaps and registration etc all taken care off, all at a supposed discount of around 17k over the 25,000/- by Tata Motors.

Delivery is on the 14th and will keep you guys posted and yeah have taken a print out of the pre-delivery inspection checklist and will carry it to the dealer while taking delivery.

Thanks once again for helping me make up my mind.

Umang
umang dutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 21:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt;1295974Anyways the decision has been made ( a little earlier than expected ). Booked a [B
Cycus Grey, Tata Safari GX 4X2 today.[/b]

For 10.76 lakhs - Car + 4 year warranty + Insurance & the usual floor mats + mud flaps and registration etc all taken care off, all at a supposed discount of around 17k over the 25,000/- by Tata Motors.

Umang
Congrats TBHPian.
Cyprus Grey + Artic Silver?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 21:51   #13
BANNED

Congrats Umang on your purchase.

Take some information from Sen2009's Thread for Celebration

Last edited by gowda79 : 9th May 2009 at 21:54.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 22:11   #14
BANNED

Umang

Congrats on your new buy,

Good you got the GX, you saved a lot of time and energy getting those extra fitments done later.

Would love to see your Safari pics soon

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 9th May 2009 at 22:12.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 22:13   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
Congratulations mate.

You should however get the breakdown of the 10.76 lakhs OTR price just to make sure that they are keeping their promise of the 17K additional discount to the 25K Tata motors discount. Frankly, I don't trust most dealerships..

The extended warranty costs $6500.