Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 23rd June 2009, 01:39   #1
BHPian

Default Sumo Grande or Bolero @ 6-7lks

Visited Tata motors with my friend to have a look at Punto as he was intrested init.

I am planning to buy a larger vehicle for a family of 7. Also this will be used to drive around 70kms daily from Bangalore city to ourskirts, basically as a people mover.

I saw a Grande with TCIC engine 90bhp with a price tag of 6.4 to 6.5 lks after the 40k discount.

How is this engine( sales guy told it was safari's engine)
is it VFM
how about maintainance of this engine.
How effective is AC in summer.

Any owners of Bolero and Grande, put in your comments as to which is the best vehicle to go in for.

what other option does one have at this price range.
aravind BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 08:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

If the vehicle is not to be driven on bad roads, then you might be better off looking at the base version XYLO in that price range.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 08:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at the xylo or pick up a used innova.
Innova will be most comfortable for 7.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 08:55   #4
BHPian

Specific to your query:

1. The engine is alright though my personal choice would be 2.2 DiCOR which is also Safari engine purely for refinement purpose.

2. This car certainly is a VFM. It has just been victim to shoddy Tata marketing campaign. Also, I found it one the most spacious UV when compared to Xylo and Innova. Obviously, that is my personal opinion.

3. Engine maintenance is minimal in TCIC engine. DiCOR engine requires you to be particular about the fuel you put in.

4. AC is very effective especially in higher models which have triple row vents.

5. Also, when carrying luggage in cabin, Xylo is effectively only a Four seater (worse than a sedan ), whereas with side seating option, this car can carry more people even with luggage.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

here are my two cents:

1. If you want space and comfort above all else and are prepared to live with a slightly sluggish engine, dodgy dynamics, shoddy plastics, apalling resale value and indiferrent A.S.S. go for the Grande TCIC.

2. If you are OK with very cramped interiors, shoddy plastics, prehistoric ergonomics, so so A.S.S. but good engine performance, reasonable resale, reliability and relatively good dynamics, go for the Bolero CRDe

3. If you want good space, good quality interiors, good diving experience, good A.S.S., terrific resale- go for a used Innova (if you cna find one in good condition that is- most used ones are taxis)

4. If you want a mish mash of all the above, look at the base xylo.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

hi araving, looking at your requirements, i would suggest you the Xylo. it is much more spacious & comfortable than the grande & bolero.

but since you have shortlisted the grande & bolero, my pick would be the bolero.

though i love the grande for its looks & its more spacious than the bolero, i would want my car to be a trouble free performer & free of niggling issues, which the bolero is. but if you are more concerned about space & comfort, the grande is for you.

secondly, please avoid the TCIC engine. its genuinely underpowered & unrefined. compared to the new breed of diesel engines or even the bolero's diesel, it does not stand a chance.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:32   #7
BHPian

heres my suggestion :-
Go for a base model BLACK sumo Grande 2.2 and pimp it up with some good alloys, wider tyres, dark tints. With that imposing looks you will scare quite a few sedans on road.
bolero is not at all refined in any department and is only for die hard jeep fans. And Xylo i am sure why it didnt figure on your list here so i am not talking about it.
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:59   #8
BANNED

i have hardly come across a Sumo G on roads during my 45 day stay in NCR, i saw just two! one was a call centre taxi cab and other was a privately owned.

bolero wont give you the comfort of a Sumo G, but Bolero has a better engine than Sumo G!

since the engine is the heart of the vehicle, my vote will be Bolero CRDe!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 07:46   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say a used Innova, or a used Tata Safari for the comfort factor.

SG or Bolero will never be anywhere as comfortable as the above two.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 16:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

think about the Xylo - if you have budgetary constraints and still want a brand new vehicle.

or you cannot go wrong with a used Innova - just be careful who you buy it from and get its entire service history etc.

If you're prepared to sacrifice some level of comfort and refinement for utility value and easy maintenance and reliability, the Bolero is ok - but frankly it is getting quite old now.

Sumo Grande - you might find maintenance and service irritants cropping up, given the general reputation most tata dealerships seem to have earned for themselves. Bad re-sale value too. But it is actually a very nice vehicle - perhaps a bit too large and slightly disproportionate though.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 17:33   #11
jp1
BHPian

Bolero is not good for 7 people, unless it is XL which I dont like. Bolero can seat 5 comfortably. For 7 people it is either Xylo or Grande or Innova as others suggested
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 18:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Bolero is not good for 7 people, unless it is XL which I dont like. Bolero can seat 5 comfortably. For 7 people it is either Xylo or Grande or Innova as others suggested
Absolutely agree on this. I think Xylo with 3rd row ac and a decently powerful engine will come within your budget. Used Innova is also good, but the critical thing to remember here is it is going to be "USED".

Howsoever good it might be, used is always used and can never equate with a new vehicle.

My $0.02
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 20:38   #13
BHPian

I would recommend the Xylo. Even the base version has lots of goodies and you would agree that it is pretty successful in Bangalore going by the number of Xylos we see everyday on the roads.
manij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 20:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
heres my suggestion :-
Go for a base model BLACK sumo Grande 2.2 and pimp it up with some good alloys, wider tyres, dark tints. With that imposing looks you will scare quite a few sedans on road.
bolero is not at all refined in any department and is only for die hard jeep fans. And Xylo i am sure why it didnt figure on your list here so i am not talking about it.
+1 to that. My vote goes for the Grande.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 02:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

straight and simple. Sumo Grande CRDI.

Personally xylo looks aweful to me and Bolero is one of the old cars now.

Grande is a newer MUV than Safari and is much more reliable but the weight of the car is still an issue.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote