Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 18:27   #16
BHPian
 
sanjayatarizona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: "God's own Shaap"
Posts: 352
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

@jaykoot: A buddy of mine had exactly the same requirements and is looking down to put a deposit on the 7 seater Scorpio. The only reason he did not pickup the Xylo was due to the fugly looks and the machine and the sweeter driving experience on the Scorpio. If this is not a deterrent, then in this price bracket nothing beats the Xylo.

I ws asking raj_5004 about the usability of the backseats of the Scorpio and he was insisting that the folks in the 3rd row needed to do some Acrobatics to fit in and continue to be acrobatic throughout the journey.

So unless you are a master of yoga / want to spend an uncomfortable vacation on the 3rd row/ boot, stick to the Xylo

Neither the Safari not the Scorpio provide a decent 3rd row.
sanjayatarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 18:30   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

7 seater scorpio is actually a 5 seater. 5 adults in reasonable comfort. Or 4 large built adults in good comfort.

the front is perfect, the rear is slightly bumpy but can be dealt with provided the passengers are well strapped in.

the last row jump seats are rubbish. only a kid can sit there and then also, only for short distances.

I know, I ve got the Scorp 7 seater. I use the last bit only for luggage- always have done so and unless its an emergency will always continue to do so.

if you want comfort and coddling for 7 people then buy the Innova top end.
Or if budget is a problem seriously consider the Xylo.

Scorpio is fine- I love it - but it is NOT for people who are looking for comfort in the last row seats - certainly!



Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
@jaykoot: A buddy of mine had exactly the same requirements and is looking down to put a deposit on the 7 seater Scorpio. The only reason he did not pickup the Xylo was due to the fugly looks and the machine and the sweeter driving experience on the Scorpio. If this is not a deterrent, then in this price bracket nothing beats the Xylo.

I ws asking raj_5004 about the usability of the backseats of the Scorpio and he was insisting that the folks in the 3rd row needed to do some Acrobatics to fit in and continue to be acrobatic throughout the journey.

So unless you are a mastr of yoga / want to spend an uncomfortable vacation on the 3rd row/ boot, stick to the Xylo

Neither the Safari not the Scorpio provide a decent 3rd row.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th August 2009 at 18:32.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 18:51   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

The Xylo E6 fits within your budget. I have the MUV run for 9000 kms, no problems as yet.

Value for money and very roomy.

Last edited by beejay : 25th August 2009 at 18:54.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 17:25   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 12
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

what is the maintenance intervval for Xylo? 5k kms? how much this 5k km visit costs approximately?
jaykoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 21:38   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoot View Post
what is the maintenance intervval for Xylo? 5k kms? how much this 5k km visit costs approximately?
The 15k Service should cost you around 5000 and 5K should cvost you about Rs. 500
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:45   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 347
Thanked: 439 Times
Default

Does anyone know when the face lifted Sumo Grande is coming.
I am waiting to see it so that I can choose either Grande or Xylo

Arul
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 17:38   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Does anyone know when the face lifted Sumo Grande is coming.
I am waiting to see it so that I can choose either Grande or Xylo

Arul
I don't think a Facelifted Sumo Grande is expected anytime soon as its not even been 1 yr since it has been launched.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 18:35   #23
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

The Sumo Grande was my first preference when I was out to buy a car. However a test drive changed my mind about it. I really liked the looks, however the interiors were very cheap quality plastic. The body roll was also an issue.
I understand that you live in Oz. let me tell you that since it's launch last october I have only seen a few grande's on the road. If you like tata vehicles, then by all means consider the Safari. After I was disppointed with the Grande I tried the safari. However the turning radius was too long. If you're gonna drive it in Mumbai then that means getting stuck while making u turns and narrow parking spaces.
Then I tried the Scorpio and it was love at first ride!!! Some advantages of a Scorp:

1. Great Looks
2. Powerful and peppy
3. relatively better handling and maneouverability
4. Short turning radius which is great for those quick u turns
5. fantastic air conditioing
6. Low maintenance as compared to Tata vehicles (according to many mechanics and owners that I consulted)
7. Good resale value

Disadvantages:
1. It's a little short on leg room for me( Im 6.2)
2. It's very popular with thieves

I would however recommend that you test drive all the vehicles yourself after you come to India and see what you're most comfortable with.

I saw a mahindra dealership in NSW. Perhaps you could test drive a Scorpio in Oz itself.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 21:20   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 347
Thanked: 439 Times
Default

Yesterday night I got a call from Tata Motors sales team. They were following up on one of my requests for a test drive of Sumo Grande at the Concorde motors which by the way never materialized and I managed one from VST Motors a few months back. She wanted to know why I did not buy the vehicle and I patiently explained to her about poor interiors, handling, etc. She responded saying that these issues are being addressed and the dealers have been informed that by the middle of October the new version of the vehicle will be released. So I have decided wait for a few weeks more before I book any car. But having said that, I do not expect any miracles to happen to Sumo Grande
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 09:25   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Yesterday night I got a call from Tata Motors sales team. They were following up on one of my requests for a test drive of Sumo Grande at the Concorde motors which by the way never materialized and I managed one from VST Motors a few months back. She wanted to know why I did not buy the vehicle and I patiently explained to her about poor interiors, handling, etc. She responded saying that these issues are being addressed and the dealers have been informed that by the middle of October the new version of the vehicle will be released. So I have decided wait for a few weeks more before I book any car. But having said that, I do not expect any miracles to happen to Sumo Grande
its good to know that tata is bothered to rectify the shortcomings of the vehicle.
given that the new version is being launched, its a wise decision to wait & watch, who knows...
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 17:42   #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 12
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

i contacted some of the TATA dealers in kerala last week. they told that the new Grande is expected only in 2010!!!!
how is Tavera? what about its build quality? hearing about Tata Sumo Grande's build quality i am little bit worried now. i think even victa will be a better option than grande since it is in the market for more than 15 years and refined over years.
can someone comment about Tavera?
jaykoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 19:33   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

avoid the tavera my friend. i have worked in GM & tavera is a pretty reliable vehicle & very fuel efficient too. but its just too boring. all it can do is take you from point A to point B in an economical & fuss free way.

i would rather buy a grande than the tavera & face some minor issues, if they arise!

that said, in this price range, xylo is the best bet. only if its looked better.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 17:05   #28
BHPian
 
H3LIOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago / Vizag
Posts: 252
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoot View Post
i contacted some of the TATA dealers in kerala last week. they told that the new Grande is expected only in 2010!!!!
how is Tavera? what about its build quality? hearing about Tata Sumo Grande's build quality i am little bit worried now. i think even victa will be a better option than grande since it is in the market for more than 15 years and refined over years.
can someone comment about Tavera?
Tavera's build is good - both body & interiors. It is a tested & proven design - but quite an old design. I think late 80s was when the Isuzu Panther (Tavera in India) was first launched in Indonesia.

I haven't heard about any issues with the Tavera. I guess it is a trouble-free vehicle. But IMO, it is a little under-powered with only 80PS under the hood, and the engine itself is out-dated. Looking at the whole package, I cannot help but feel that it is overpriced too (Rs 9.4 lakhs for the Neo-SS).

Have a test drive and decide for yourself. Also have a look at the Xylo.

Cheers
H3LIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 13:51   #29
BHPian
 
vikrantj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 574
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

We have read n number of reviews over looks of Grande. But I did not find a single review which gave an idea over build quality of Grande . All that we hear is bad plastics etc , but nothing which says how it behaves over bad road or long distance comfort . In fact there is nobody who written a travelogue on a Grande. Seriously guys is it such a bad long-distance runner as compared to older versions of the Sumo.

If anybody has come across such thread , I would appreciate the link.

--Vikrant
vikrantj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 13:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,974
Thanked: 2,497 Times
Default

If you go to the Sumo Grande website. They have links to all the reviews in the Auto journals. The Grande is definitely far superior to the Sumo Victa. But for what ever reason it has failed to take off. I don't think it is just the plastics or the looks. Xylo isn't the best looker but I see many of them on the roads. Grande's are a rare sight in Chennai.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo! safari_lover The Indian Car Scene 466 5th June 2017 14:00
SCOOP! New Tata Sumo Picture. EDIT : Now launched as Sumo Grande MillionSwords The Indian Car Scene 217 26th October 2009 20:16
Tata Sumo Victa GX IDI Turbo or Sumo Grande GX drmessiah SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 11 20th April 2009 18:16
Tata launches New Indica, Indigo CS, Indica V2 DICOR, Sumo Grande, Xenon. Details.... ashutoshb The Indian Car Scene 102 19th December 2008 22:53
Repainting & "Sumo to Sumo victa" conversion. Advice needed. nitrous Modifications & Accessories 0 21st November 2005 12:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks