Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 20th August 2009, 18:09   #1

Default Please Help- Sumo Grande Update

Dear BHPians,
I am new on Team BHP.
I am in Australia and planning to buy an suv when I come to India, end of September 2009.
I was considering Tata Sumo Grande GX but now in a dilemma after reading some reviews on Team BHP. Many of the reviews indicate that Grande has/had a lot of quality/refinement issues like seat folding mechanism failure, power windows issues, panel gap and poor quality plastics etc.

My budget is around 830 K and I am attracted by Grande since it got all the features other than ABS and air bags within this price range. I think that Xylo is very new in the market and it will take some time to reveal the design issues.

Other option is to buy Sumo Victa DI GX (70 HP). Within 675K, I can get a fully loaded vehicle on road. I am not worrying about taxi image since I could see almost all brands running as taxis in India.
Can anyone help me to know
  • Have Tatas solved the initial issues with Grande like poor quality plastics etc?
  • I read on Team BHP that Tata is planning to introduce updated version of Grande around Deepavali. Any idea when this is going to happen? I contacted some of the Tata dealers in India and they have no idea.
  • Is there any possibility Tata to withdraw Victa soon from market as they introduced Grande with 90 HP engine?
  • Have any BHPian recently test driven or purchased Grande? Is there any improvement in the quality?
  • Grande is an excellent vehicle at least on paper or on website. Will it have the same fate as Tata estate/
Since I am in Australia, I can not test drive these vehicles. I have to buy a vehicle within four or five days after reaching in India.
Please provide me with some latest info about Tata Sumo Grande.
Regards,

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th August 2009 at 18:14. Reason: Removing [Font] tags
jaykoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 18:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

would you like to consider a Scorpio - with the new engine and fair pricing it is a solid and reliable vehicle which should give you what you are looking for.
think about it.
You could also consider the LX Safari.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 18:26   #3
BHPian

Why isn't scorpio in your list of choices? I would say have a look at the LX(fits your current budget) and SLE (with a little stretch) versions after you come back and then decide.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 18:27   #4

cost for scorpio with almost all features that Grande has is about 900k on road. I wonder whether tatas have solved the initial issues with Grande
Old 20th August 2009, 18:30   #5
BHPian

Do you need a 7/8 seating capacity ?
Or are you buying just for the "SUV" part of it ?
Well in that case Sumo should't be on the list
Sumo is more of a people carrier than an SUV, IMO

If its purpose is to seat 5 Tata Xenon will make sense I guess.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...on-xt-4x2.html

Xylo well not an SUV still is a good choice.

Else the SUV will be Scorpio or Safari with the price range you have mentioned.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 18:33   #6
BHPian

If you have a budget of 830k as mentioned by you, you rather streach it a bit and go for th Scorpio, It's a tried and tested product and sells in fairly large numbers. Grande never picked up in numbers, and I have read somewhere in the forum, TATA is about to give it some sort of face lift, but we still don't know, if even after the facelifts, the numbers would pick up.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 10:15   #7

for about 20/21 days in a year when i come to india with my family i need 7/8 seater. rest of the year four to five people travel at a time including the chauffeur. my mother and sister's family use the vehicle rest of the year. though 7/8 seater is required only for a few days in a year,we really enjoy those few days travelling together and visiting all relatives.
yearly the vehicle runs about 11k kms.

Xylo E4/E6 also seems to be a good option but since it is very new in the market i feel it will take some time to reveal the design issues if any. i went to test drive it in March but the dealer at Trichur-kerala did not had one for test drive.however i could not find much problems reported about xylo on internet forums compared to grande.

scorpio seems to be a good option. but there are two issues.1. the cost-900K on road in kerala. 2. the dealer told that it will take nearly 4 to 6 weeks to deliver the vehicle. it may not be able to get the vehicle when i am in india if i decide to test drive and book scorpio. when i contacted Tata dealer they told that they can deliver the vehicle within two to three days.
Old 21st August 2009, 16:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoot View Post
Xylo E4/E6 also seems to be a good option but since it is very new in the market i feel it will take some time to reveal the design issues if any. Tata dealer they told that they can deliver the vehicle within two to three days.
IMHO Xylo is a very good option INDEED. Your worry about being a newbie are overly exaggerated because MAHINDRAS are very old and trusted hands in the field of offroadable vehicls. Moreover, Xylo doing good numbers
However, if you are particularly interested in Sumo Grande do take a plunge despite all that is reported in forums. But be prepared for a slightly lower built quality and A.S.& S
cheers
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

for your budget, i would strongly recommend you the xylo than the grande. it is more comfortable than the grande, is more spacious, has more features & a better ride quality too, at a lower price than the grande. ideal as a people mover, which you are looking for.
since you are ready to accept the grande with the few issues you have read in forums, i would suggest take chances with the xylo instead. you atleast get a better MUV.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:36   #10
BHPian

Default try out xylo

if u could stretch your budget by another 50k, xylo E8 ABS is an option, i got one delivered last month, so far no complaints.

sijil
sijil.karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

I feel that you should be better buying the Xylo compared to Grande. One thing that I disliked the most on the Grande was the Driver seating position.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 15:33   #12
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggest for you in the below order.

1) Safari 2.2 VTT LX
2) Xylo E4/6
3) Scorpio Base
4) Sumo Grande GX
5) Second hand 2 year old Inova V
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 16:05   #13

thanks for the info gents!
what is the maintenance interval of Scorpio? one of the sales person from TVS-Scorpio's kerala dealer-told that it needs a service at every 5000km. he told that the only the oil change is at 15000km but vehicle needs checkup at every 15000kms.

I downloaded Grande service manual from tata website and it says service is only at every 15000km. so lifecycle cost of this vehicle will be really low!!!
i also heard that tata is going to introduce another model of Grande with chrome grill, roof rails etc.
Old 25th August 2009, 17:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoot View Post
thanks for the info gents!
what is the maintenance interval of Scorpio? one of the sales person from TVS-Scorpio's kerala dealer-told that it needs a service at every 5000km. he told that the only the oil change is at 15000km but vehicle needs checkup at every 15000kms.

I downloaded Grande service manual from tata website and it says service is only at every 15000km. so lifecycle cost of this vehicle will be really low!!!
i also heard that tata is going to introduce another model of Grande with chrome grill, roof rails etc.
The Scorpio and Bolero CRDe share the service interval which is 5K Kms which is nothing but the a general check-up.

Oil and Oil Filter change at 15k.
Air Filter at 40 k Kms
Fuel Filter every 15K Kms.

So the service costs are not much different from Safari/Sumo Grande
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 17:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

every 5000 kms, mahindra does a general check up only. the normal service intervals are every 15,000 kms.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote