Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 24th November 2011, 10:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which Pre Owned Mahindra 4WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hunt for a Bolero GLX 4WD. Best for your needs. AC, Power Steering and good 4WD.

You can also check with the non metro dealers if they can get you a Mahindra Marshal Royale - this is a SOLID vehicle 4WD with several comforts plus lockable cabin.
Exactly, Bolero GLX 4WD is the vehicle to look for, if properly done up can do wonders!

Armada 4WD and Marshal 4WD are a rare commodity these days. Armada 4WD with AC is a very good vehicle for touring, a member in Bangalore (M.P.Sreenivasan) owns a neatly maintained one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Invader 4WD is available on order.
Is that BS III ? Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
If you are looking to trade then I suggest that you go for new Bolero SLX 4WD with a 73 BHP XD3P Engine with all the comforts.
When was this born? Never knew this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Gautam, If you are happy with your present Bolero, then hold it on for a few more months and upgrade/trade with the Storm 4X4 which is supposed to be launched very soon. That way you'll get the best of both world.
Lol, that supposed is very important.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 10:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps it is best to convert this to a Poll, but my vote would go to a Used Bolero 4WD.
It ticks most boxes you have, and gives you an acceptable level of On road performance. Given that you have mentioned 70% On road usage, every other option will give you more pain than pleasure.
This though, might be a bit difficult to find.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 11:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

I do not think that any current Bolero comes with 4x4. There used to be one quite some time back, and even then it was BS-II compliant, with the same electric 4x4 shift as in Scorpio. If you can get one in decent condition, that will be nice, but beware that the engine makes a big racket which may be irritating on long drives.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 12:34   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

@spike:

My post is from 2009 :-)

@Aroy:

4WD Bolero came in GLX from with XD3P Engine & BW Electric Transfer Case. It came in DI form with T-18 Mechanical Transfer case. Both can be found in the used car market.

DI Turbo Bolero with 4WD was available until a couple of months ago. Now with the refreshed Bolero, i don't think it is available any more.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 14:15   #20
BHPian

There is a web site called carwale.com where there is a big listing of used vehicles for sale. I looked through the ones available in delhi and I think you will find it useful to go through the list.

Used Cars - Search used cars available for sale in India - CarWale

You can manipulate your search criteria to suit your specifications.

Do keep in mind the inputs of the other members while you choose. I quite agree with shankar.balan and surprisingly I also see a point in what Aroy is saying.

Cheers and best of luck in your hunt.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 17:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Aroy:

4WD Bolero came in GLX from with XD3P Engine & BW Electric Transfer Case. It came in DI form with T-18 Mechanical Transfer case. Both can be found in the used car market.

DI Turbo Bolero with 4WD was available until a couple of months ago. Now with the refreshed Bolero, i don't think it is available any more.
Yes I saw the 4x4 on Mahindra Site, but it was BS-II, while the BS-III machines were all 4x2. That is why they have now withdrawn it. All in all it was an excellent machine, within its limitation, but I would desist from taking it on a 600km ride, it is quite noisy. I believe the engine in the 4x4 Bolero and Armada 4x4 were same.

Best of luck sourcing one.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 17:12   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

@Aroy: DI Turbo is BSIII and I know a person who brought a brand new one and registered it about 6 months back after the BSII was phased out.

Bolero GLX with XD3P engine was BSII and was discontinued after BSIII norms came. The Bolero GLX had the same engine as the Armada Grand but in a detuned state to meet BSII emissions. Grand was 72.5 bhp and Bolero GLX was 68 bhp.

After BSIII the only Bolero 4WD you could buy was the Long Wheelbase DI Turbo with the MDI3200TC engine which makes 63 bhp. Rajith on this Forum had one and a friend of mine has in Ooty. This vehicle is no longer available after the Bolero Refresh (M2DI) came out.

Please note that the MDI3200TC engine on the Bolero is BSIII compliant. That is why the Bolero continued to be sold in non-metro cities after BSIV norms came into effect in Metros.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:28   #23

Quote:
You may want to scout around Punjab, Haryana and other places for a tough old M&M Armada or Marshal Royale 4WD.
that will do the job admirably for what you have in mind, given your budget and utility perspective.
I agree Shankar a Marshal would fit my budget perfectly leaving me with enough to plan my modifications as well. First problem will be finding a good one here in Delhi as I would prefer a Delhi registration , I see a lot of boleros and jeeps up for sale but rarely do i see a Marshal. But will keep an eye out for it.

How's the fuel efficiency on this thing ? and what sort of modifications can go into it to make it more comfortable ?
d1vine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 18:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

yes finding a pre owned bolero glx is tough.
and i dont know why you feel 180mm ground clearance is not enough. to me it is more than sufficient for the kind of normal off roading that we may indulge in.
i have used my bolero and scorpio on some seriously rutted tracks and there has been no problem at all. what you need to do is to drive with one set of wheels inside the rut and the other set on top of the rut, if it is indeed extremely deep.
both the bolero and scorpio handle that sort of thing really well. but dont hook your thumbs or fingers inside the steering wheel or you may break your fingers with the twisting motion of the wheel when the vehicle hits potholes or pits within the ruts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
@ shankar.balan & 4x4 addict,
Finding a pre-owned Bolero GLX 4WD is really tough, though it will definitely suit my needs. Probably can trade in my present ride and actually go in for the new SLX 4WD, albeit with 73bhp. Ground Clearance is low at 180mm.

Shankar.Balan also suggested the Marshal Royale. Will be looking into that too.

Regards
Gautam.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 18:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

basically a jeep is a hard beast. very little by way of comfort etc.
leaf springs see to your discomfort in the back

FE should be anywhere between 10-12 kmpl.
I would generally not attempt mods in my vehicle -unless done with proper engineering inputs. else one is liable to make it structurally weak.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1vine View Post
I agree Shankar a Marshal would fit my budget perfectly leaving me with enough to plan my modifications as well. First problem will be finding a good one here in Delhi as I would prefer a Delhi registration , I see a lot of boleros and jeeps up for sale but rarely do i see a Marshal. But will keep an eye out for it.

How's the fuel efficiency on this thing ? and what sort of modifications can go into it to make it more comfortable ?
Old 25th November 2011, 18:51   #26

Quote:
basically a jeep is a hard beast. very little by way of comfort etc.
leaf springs see to your discomfort in the back

FE should be anywhere between 10-12 kmpl.
I would generally not attempt mods in my vehicle -unless done with proper engineering inputs. else one is liable to make it structurally weak.
cheers
Any threads here or anyone who attempted to make a jeep comfortable for highway ride . and by jeep I hope it also includes the armada and marshal and bolero in the context since they all share the same chassis.

what would you say about doing up a sierra ? or between the sierra and marshal the later would be more preferred.
d1vine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 17:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

sierra is highly outdated and you may find issues with parts etc. the 4wd version of Sierra is now nearly 15-16 years ago - too long in my opinion.
suggest you do your fiddling on a mahindra vehicle as at least there are chaps who will service it and look after it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1vine View Post
Any threads here or anyone who attempted to make a jeep comfortable for highway ride . and by jeep I hope it also includes the armada and marshal and bolero in the context since they all share the same chassis.

what would you say about doing up a sierra ? or between the sierra and marshal the later would be more preferred.
Old 26th November 2011, 18:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
yes finding a pre owned bolero glx is tough.
and i dont know why you feel 180mm ground clearance is not enough. to me it is more than sufficient for the kind of normal off roading that we may indulge in.
i have used my bolero and scorpio on some seriously rutted tracks and there has been no problem at all. what you need to do is to drive with one set of wheels inside the rut and the other set on top of the rut, if it is indeed extremely deep.
both the bolero and scorpio handle that sort of thing really well. but dont hook your thumbs or fingers inside the steering wheel or you may break your fingers with the twisting motion of the wheel when the vehicle hits potholes or pits within the ruts.
Wow a reply to a post from Aug'2009!
@ shankar.balan, I think I will take back my statement regarding GC. Did the Spiti circuit in 2010 and Ladakh circuit in 2011 and the car performed wonderfully both the times. This year, traveled on some very bad roads in Chamba valley and barring instances of stones and loose rock hitting the underbody and the IFS it wasn't so bad! All the rubber bushings had to be changed after I returned!
BolBolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 15:40   #29
BHPian

I have a question which I don't think needs a new thread and this thread seems appropriate for the question I have.

Sirs, I am hunting for a 4x4 within a tight budget. I was dallying between ex-army MM550 or MPFI Gypsy. This forum had some convincing reasons for me that ex-army MPFI Gypsy would be better suited to my needs and the hunt is on with the help of fellow TBhpians.

I have also been checking out civilian MPFI but until now I have been unlucky to find one that is both a good vehicle and fits my budget.

During my search I have come across a 2001 Bolero GLX . I have checked it out superficially. The body is clean, tires need to be changed and that is about all I checked, as I was not looking to buy a Bolero. I don't know if it has XD3P or DI engine.

As of now I don't have a drive and I am tight on budget... and a good MPFI that fits my bill seems elusive. And there is this Bolero that more or less fits the bill. I am not exactly looking for a 7-8 seater, but given my limited options I am wondering, "why not Bolero?"

Here are a few questions I have:
  • Did 2001 Bolero GLX had 4x2 variant or was GLX 4x4?
  • What engine did it have DI or XD3P (or was it XDP)?
  • How will either engine fare after 10-11 years considering the Bolero I will be looking at is 2001 make?
  • Considering my needs: 20% City, 40% Highway, 40% Jungle, how will Bolero GLX compare to MPFI Gypsy or MM550?
  • Should I go for it whether it is 4x4 or not, considering 40% OTR (jungle)?
JeepHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 21:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHyde View Post
Did 2001 Bolero GLX had 4x2 variant or was GLX 4x4?
2001 Bolero GLX had 4x2 and 4x4. The 4x4 version had leaf spring front suspension like jeep hence more durable/harder. 4x2 had IFS like current boleros, hence more better comfort/handling.

Quote:
What engine did it have DI or XD3P (or was it XDP)?
DI was not introduced in the Bolero in 2001 hence all 2001 Boleros has XD3P engine that makes 72.5 bhp that was detuned to 68 bhp when BSIII came into effect.
Quote:
How will either engine fare after 10-11 years considering the Bolero I will be looking at is 2001 make?
Engine will most likely need to be rebuilt. Luckily parts are available and it is easily to rebuild.
[quote=JeepHyde;2685513]Considering my needs: 20% City, 40% Highway, 40% Jungle, how will Bolero GLX compare to MPFI Gypsy or MM550?

Gypsy is much more refined and trouble free vehicle when compared to 2001 Bolero GLX. However, the ride is hard and with side facing seats, it will not be comfortable for your fellow passengers. Bolero will be more comfortable.

Quote:
Should I go for it whether it is 4x4 or not, considering 40% OTR (jungle)?
I classify jungle trails into two types. Once is generally open to public and you see Innovas and Maruthi swifts do the trail with some undercarraige bruises. However, the real tough trails will require 4WD especially during rains. For this Gypsy is far better than Bolero.

One thing to keep in mind is that for most older Bolero 4x4 with electric Borg Warner Transfer case, the 4WD system will not be in working condition and the dealer doesn't have the training knowlege to repair it. He will first tell you to change ECU and quote you about 20K for it.