Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 19th September 2009, 14:37   #76
BHPian

It is because i am buying the RS for myself and the SUV for my dad, he doesnt want a skoda bought by his money, but if im going to buy myself and take care of my car myself then he is not goin to say anything.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 22:12   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I would not mind the yeti but unfortunatly its a skoda.
That's my pain point too. But the vehicle is just amazing.

That is another thing which I wonder. In spite of constant shock-status of Skoda customer service, we still see huge number of Skodas on the road. I wonder how those guys manage?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 17:53   #78
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
The part marked in BOLD is important. they "could be"!

ultimately what matters to the user/customer is "sales numbers" & not "profit margins".
Wrote could be but meant "ARE" was just trying to be technically correct, but since it did not get the point across, will just mention "ARE" making a lot more profit per unit. (This would be apparent to any of the guys who are aware of costing of the various car components and the rise in price as you go up variants would make things apparent.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@ACM:

I have seen all your posts about the Safari to date and agree with your unbiased opinions. Yes, the low volume Tata Safari not only makes an excellent profit for Tata. We all should help make Ratan Tata richer. The first owner also gets a *killier* resale price in the second hand market.

Your comment reminds me about the story of the little boy who fell into horse ****. He looks around wipes the poop off his face and says "Yeah !!, there is a pony around here somewhere"
Yes the first owner get a killer resale price, or if he is one like me manages to use the car for 150,000 kms, beyond 9 years and is still game for more.

Yep it dericates fast in the first 3 years but this stabilizes over the next 3 so if you are in it for more than 5 years then it's not an issue.

By the way I used my cielo for 11+ years before selling it off.

So may be you may see a point there.

Nope I am definately not unbaised toward the Safari, (no Safari owner of many years can be unbaised towards it - you need to live it once to know what it means.)

But that said I do try to give unbaised opinion to others wanting to take the plunge and first ask them if they are upto it.

Even a guy wanting to buy a merc (new or used) better be upto it.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 13:24   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That's my pain point too. But the vehicle is just amazing.

That is another thing which I wonder. In spite of constant shock-status of Skoda customer service, we still see huge number of Skodas on the road. I wonder how those guys manage?
They are people like me who are ignorant of what is really happening.
I used my skoda for 4 years, paid huge amount to autobahn for repairs and service and sold it, abusing that German cars are expensive to maintain.
Only after joining TBHP, I knew why my car was a pocket burner.
I had already moved on to a Honda and a Suzuki.
riteshritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:13   #80
Team-BHP Support

And to think of it I was eagerly waiting for the Yeti :(
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 15:05   #81
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: In a budget of 10-15 Lacs which NEW SUV?

What's available in India in the SUV mould at this kind of price - 10-15lacs on road?

First instance it is only the Scorpio, Safari and now the Force One.

Im also looking keenly for something around this range but am not keen on buying any of the above mentioned.

The Safari is too big for me. The Scorpio Im quite tired with and wont buy another one. Force One - I am not inspired with huge trust in them as of now

So what else can one consider? Push the ante up to 18-20 and maybe a Brand New Yeti would be eminently nice and desirable though kind of expensive at 21 L - however, some of my recent researches with friends seem to suggest that there are certainly issues on After Sales Service and the cost of parts replacements can be quite high indeed. However, I really love that Yeti's feel, fit, finish and overall package so I will continue my researches for a little longer before making up my mind on a yes or a no.

A brand new Mahindra W201 when it comes - well, while I have seen protos and know fully that it is very good effort indeed, this one is a bit too big for my current need state. Also I would prefer the wait and watch strategy on this one on account of the zillions of electronics inside it. Again the unknown quantity is the pricing which may or may not tick the "value" box in my brain - for an M&M vehicle that is.

Then, perhaps an used Hyundai Tucson- around 8-9.5 L? - Eminently possible and highly desirable - indeed this is the one vehicle available in India that absolutely ticks off all the boxes for me - space, safety, comfort, diesel, 4WD, Traction Control, handling, good GC, fit, finish, refinement etc all of which are the primary influencers in terms of my personal need/ want state. But whats worrying me is the fact that it is out of production as of now in India. While people say it is serviced easily etc, I need to do more research on maintenance etc. I guess if I do buy one of these I can hang on to it for another 2-3 years at best and then simply say bye to it.

Maybe an used Nissan X Trail around 12 L? - Lovely and desirable but various friends keep warning me about the fact that all the spares are imported and one can get into difficulties on that score in terms of vehicle down time. Nissan is still a bit of an unknown quantity though I absolutely love the X Trail.

Then we come to the yet-to-be launched Koleos! - from all accounts this is going head to head with the Outlander, Captiva and Fortuner - hence it would be priced a bit too high for my personal liking and overall value perception.

Last but not least - the Renault Duster, for which most of us simple regular utility joe types are waiting with bated breath! - Recent speculation seems a bit un-nerving - launch at some 9 lacs with only 2WD and no bells and whistles etc etc etc.
Cant wait for some news about whether and when and at what price the Top Spec 4WD is likely to come. Equally cant wait to get more general info on overall fit finish quality and gizmos like Traction Control, ESP etc will be made available or not.

I have realized that it would be an utter waste for me to even think of used Pajeros, Monteros, Fortuners etc on account of their sheer steroidal super-sizes and overall un-suitability for my own daily use.

One one hand common sense and rationale says wait for a bit more - maybe a year or so.

Greed, Impulse and general quick gun murugun tendencies are pulling me in the other direction and prompting fast direct action and soon!

However there seems absolutely nothing available, that I can reasonably and peacefully migrate to, without some species of worry or the other.

I am simply stumped now, sitting in the middle of a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma - a la Winston Churchill's famous quip.

What to do? Any answers?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th August 2011 at 15:07. Reason: pricing
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 17:35   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

The Safari is too big for me.
Are you talking about the dimensions? I have heard people complain about the turning radius of Safari but the new Merlin should improve that.
cediafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 18:17   #83
Senior - BHPian

i find even my Scorpio a bit too big and fat after driving it about for 3.5 years
am looking for a more compact better handling SUV with 4WD and all the rest of the bells and whistles.
this is one of the reasons why even the new Merlin and the Force One etc dont appeal to my requirement.
While I do know the X Trail is also quite long, I will still excuse it on account of the quality of the vehicle. Same goes for the Tucson which anyway is quite compact. (both these would be Pre-owned, not brand new)
Yeti is very nice but perhaps a tad too small as well as a tad too expensive.
My trouble is exactly this - nothing available in the range Im looking at, which meets my expectations exactly.
big trouble for me eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediafan View Post
Are you talking about the dimensions? I have heard people complain about the turning radius of Safari but the new Merlin should improve that.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th August 2011 at 18:18.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote