Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 25th September 2009, 14:48   #31
BHPian

yes indeed thats my ad.PM me if want more information
[quote=Thingummy;1501605]Is that your Forrester up for sale on one of the sites? :-).. Seriously though, dont know much about this one. Will begin my research right away ..
nandishpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 15:33   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The Tuscon Model's already been discontinued long back by Hyundai
Its still available, Safdarjung Hyundai Gurgaon even has a greenish Tucson on display.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 15:51   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the terracan may not be a bad idea - those are almost as good as a Landcruiser indeed.
and incidentally there is one for sale on the TBHP classifieds too
My Service advisor in hyundai told me Terracan is much more expensive to maintain compared to Sonata, Elantra and Tucson. Part of the problem lies with the Delphi fuel injection system used here as opposed to the Bosch system in rest of the Hyundais. Plus all the parts are imported, Fuel filter costs around Rupees 16k and is to be changed every third service.

As for Tucson, The spares are quite reasonably priced, The engine is same as the one in Elantra and is very reliable unit with average life of 2.5lakh+ kms if maintained well.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th September 2009 at 15:55.
Old 25th September 2009, 17:39   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
...As for Tucson, The spares are quite reasonably priced, The engine is same as the one in Elantra and is very reliable unit with average life of 2.5lakh+ kms if maintained well.
That's very good to hear, because a few cars in my consideration list seem very well maintained but have high mileage on them.

A newbie question - How much can i trust the warranty offered by the used car dealers? Most claim they can cover engine and transmission, whereas Classic Automotives seems to be different - They are willing to offer comprehensive warrantly except for the normal wear parts (brake pads, tyres) and electricals/ electronics. Sounds interesting..
Thingummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 17:54   #35
BHPian

hyundai tucson is a great car.few months back one of my friend was offered a car from advaith hyundai buy back division for a very good price.was a white color car with low mileage of 35k.was offerd at 10.50 lakhs.hyundai's are made to last.but i am little doubtful on the high mileage cars as the crdi engines are not very good after 7fk.also the clutch problem with them is very common.you can confirm this with the hyundai service advisor.
nandishpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 13:08   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
hyundai tucson is a great car.few months back one of my friend was offered a car from advaith hyundai buy back division for a very good price.was a white color car with low mileage of 35k.was offerd at 10.50 lakhs.hyundai's are made to last.but i am little doubtful on the high mileage cars as the crdi engines are not very good after 7fk.also the clutch problem with them is very common.you can confirm this with the hyundai service advisor.
Clutch in Hyundai diesel cars is good for 60-100k kms depends on how you drive, i got my Elantra's clutch changed at 60k kms and it cost me 15k including flywheel, labour and taxes.
A friend just got his Verna's clutch changed at 65k kms and he almost paid similar amount.

Spares are quite reasonably priced and readily available even for discontinued models.

Just for a quick comparison ask anyone who owns a octy or laura about how much do they pay for these spares?

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th September 2009 at 13:10.
Old 26th September 2009, 14:12   #37
BHPian

A friend of mine just bought a 4 yr old, reposessed, Tuscon through a bank auction. The vehicle had done about 40,000 k's.He paid Rs.6.6 lakhs for it and spent another Rs.1.5 lakh to bring it up to spec.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 15:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

great input - thanks! by god these toys are expensive to look after eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My Service advisor in hyundai told me Terracan is much more expensive to maintain compared to Sonata, Elantra and Tucson. Part of the problem lies with the Delphi fuel injection system used here as opposed to the Bosch system in rest of the Hyundais. Plus all the parts are imported, Fuel filter costs around Rupees 16k and is to be changed every third service.

As for Tucson, The spares are quite reasonably priced, The engine is same as the one in Elantra and is very reliable unit with average life of 2.5lakh+ kms if maintained well.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 13:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
A friend of mine just bought a 4 yr old, reposessed, Tuscon through a bank auction. The vehicle had done about 40,000 k's.He paid Rs.6.6 lakhs for it and spent another Rs.1.5 lakh to bring it up to spec.
What was wrong with the car in spending 1.5L?
can you pls elaborate?
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 13:03   #40
evo
BHPian

6.6 lakhs is a very good price, IMHO, but the additional 1.5, that sounds very steep
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 15:22   #41
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingummy View Post
... Just a quick question to the forum - should i be worried about high mileage vehicles (I mean 85-90K+ kms) Assuming that the vehicle has undergone regular maintenance - should i consider these type of vehicles, or should i stick to the 40-60K range?
Thingummy,
Guess you are still looking for the Tucson. I bought one 60k clocked and it has now done nearly 95k without any major issues. You dont have to worry about the engine as mine is still like new. Absolutely no smoke how hard you accelerate. I know some tucsons running over 175k and still good for more. However, you need to be concerned about the clutch, which wont last more than 45k. The timing belt and tensioner needs to be replaced around 80k, so check if it has already been replaced. The suspension is pretty robust and usually not a cause for concern. Over all, the tucson will be as expensive to mantain as an elantra. Parts are difficult to obtain off hand from dealers, but everything is available on order. Few has to come from korea and i have waited 45 days for a/c compressor once.

Once you buy it, you are sure going to love the car. It drives well for the SUV form, drives straight on highways and you will feel very safe inside at speeds. The car is geared for highways and you will end up in 1st gear most of the time in city traffic. Interiors are spacious and could seat 5 easily, but tall people might find the rear seat a bit low. It just a foot longer than the swift and you will be able to fit the car in most parking spaces. Buying a used tucson probably makes sense than a new one.
VEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 19:41   #42
Team-BHP Support

What should you check in a Tucson which has done 80,000+ ?

1.Timing belt needs to be changed at 80k, all the hyundai service center have records of all the cars serviced in india.

2.Rubber parts in suspension normally wear out around 100k kms, get it checked from Hyundai ASC.

3.Check shock absorbers for leakage and any damage to underbody.

4.Normally pressure plate gives up before clutch in Hyundai diesels so check for hard clutch.

5.Get all the engine mountings checked at Hyundai ASC.

Pls note very slight judder around 1600-1800rpm is common with this engine.
Old 10th October 2009, 18:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

I test drove a Tucson today with 75K on the odo. The car DID NOT HAVE A SINGLE SQUEAK, the suspension was stock, as was the clutch, brakes and everything else. The Tyres were changed to OE size Geolanders at 52K kms. The engine purred like a dream. All in all in VERY GREAT shape.

The more I think of it more sense it makes. Braking was very good unlike the Fortuner. BTW Fortuner is tweaking the brakes on cars coming in from 2010, they have had very negative feedback on that.

Also TD the new Endy XLT. Drives like a dream but a tad too huge for my liking. The best part is a new Tucson & a new Endy XLT cost alsmost the same on road :-)

Also looking at a used Pajero 2007 for around 12L, have yet to test that out. So what do you guys say, which of these would be VFM, cost of spares & repair etc. I seem to think Tucson, let's see.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 18:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

nice to hear this

now in my own mind the used Pajero for 12 seems a very good thing because we know those vehicles go on for 250000 plus Kms without any kind of trouble. If the planned usage is lots of highway and off road and farm type work then the Pajero really would make sense.

However, going by your write up about the old Tucson Im inclined to think it seems a good deal too - plus of course a Tucson is more of a city SUV which you will enjoy as a daily drive more than a Pajero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I test drove a Tucson today with 75K on the odo. The car DID NOT HAVE A SINGLE SQUEAK, the suspension was stock, as was the clutch, brakes and everything else. The Tyres were changed to OE size Geolanders at 52K kms. The engine purred like a dream. All in all in VERY GREAT shape.

The more I think of it more sense it makes. Braking was very good unlike the Fortuner. BTW Fortuner is tweaking the brakes on cars coming in from 2010, they have had very negative feedback on that.

Also TD the new Endy XLT. Drives like a dream but a tad too huge for my liking. The best part is a new Tucson & a new Endy XLT cost alsmost the same on road :-)

Also looking at a used Pajero 2007 for around 12L, have yet to test that out. So what do you guys say, which of these would be VFM, cost of spares & repair etc. I seem to think Tucson, let's see.

Cheers
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 19:01   #45
BHPian

I.M.H.O, the Tucson is too long in it's tooth. Pajero though it is old has the charm of a mountain goat.Pajero is a decent offroader and looks far more aggressive.It would be a car which you could keep for another 10 years because of it's cult status.The Safari is more comfy than an Endy. Have not driven the latest one, but the older endeavor had a very harsh ride, which you will come to know only if driven on some bad roads.Why not a used forester?You could get a used example for around 5 lakhs or so.The spares can be imported from countries like Sri Lanka.But forester could never be a first car.It could be used as a second car maybe.
freewheelburnin is offline   Reply With Quote