Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 16th March 2010, 11:43   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
... Chain is stronger but noisier so there is a trade off...
Even with chain, me think that the Scorpio engine is more silent than the Safari's. The Safari has a grunt to it sound (might be due to its love of its heritage!) whereas the Scorpio is more refined.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 19:26   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Even with chain, me think that the Scorpio engine is more silent than the Safari's. The Safari has a grunt to it sound (might be due to its love of its heritage!) whereas the Scorpio is more refined.
I agree with HAPPY WHEELS. scorpio's engine is a lot more smoother and silent.
arijit.co.in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 10:20   #123
BHPian

Default Off-Road capability

Hi Guys
I am a big fan of TATA safari since my childhood and now I am thinking of owning one (since one year now...).
In last few months, I have done a fair amount of offroading (read dune-bashing and diving thru rocks) in Chevvy Trailblazer and Landcruiser Prado. I felt Trailblazer little underpowered (it was an AT) but Prado was a very good drive (MT).
My question is, if you, the real owners of 4X4 monster, have used Safari for real off-road trips, what is your feeling towards its off-road capabilities, it's power, 4WD, transmission. I have seen that Safari is the most popular choice for people going to Leh, still wanted some more inputs.
(Some photos / videos will help )
dj_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 12:06   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

@dj_turbo:

Can you define your meaning of real-off road trips? The Safari 4x4 is a competent 4x4 tourer but it is by no means an off-roader in the category of jeeps/gypsys etc..

Look at TSKs & Jays threads, they have really put their 4x4 Safaris' through it's pace and it has held up well. However, Safari is not meant for the kind of off-road trips organized by the various off-road clubs. You can take any LWB 4x4s to these off-road trips, but it will come back looking like that brand new Bolero from the Bangalore OTR.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 21:43   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_turbo View Post
Hi Guys
I am a big fan of TATA safari since my childhood and now I am thinking of owning one (since one year now...).
In last few months, I have done a fair amount of offroading (read dune-bashing and diving thru rocks) in Chevvy Trailblazer and Landcruiser Prado. I felt Trailblazer little underpowered (it was an AT) but Prado was a very good drive (MT).
My question is, if you, the real owners of 4X4 monster, have used Safari for real off-road trips, what is your feeling towards its off-road capabilities, it's power, 4WD, transmission. I have seen that Safari is the most popular choice for people going to Leh, still wanted some more inputs.
(Some photos / videos will help )
Some points here to put things in right perspective:

a. Do not compare a Tata Safari to a Prado or Trailblazer. They are different segment altogether.

b. As 4x4addict pointed out, Safari is a very capable off-roader but if you are looking at a *serious* off-road machine meant for recreational off-roading, better get yourself a Jeep or a Gypsy

c. You DO NOT need 4WD (Safari or whichever vehicle) to go to Ladakh HVK sir has done it in his Matiz and I have seen scores of M800s up there
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 11:03   #126
BHPian

Thanks Cool_Dude and 4X4Addict for your replies.
I just wanted to know the extremes where I can bring the Safari without it coming back looking like a Bolero.
I will go thru all the threads by TSKs & Jays to get more details.

DJ
dj_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 12:52   #127
BHPian

Default Life of Car

Am planning to pick up a Gx 4x4 in Delhi. Daily usage on MG road for about 1200 km per month (average road quality) and on other highways for about 1000 km twice a year.

I am stretching quite a bit to buy the vehicle. I was expecting/ calculating to keep the car for about 7-8 years. Does it make sense to keep the car for the duration? I am a salaried individual and will not be able to claim depreciation.
k!ng_@thur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 12:54   #128
Team-BHP Support

Beyond the extended warranty period, its pretty risky from the point of view of maintenance unless you find a good independent garage(difficult).
The parts of the safari are very expensive, for example, injectors and rail can set you back by 50K or so. Suspension job often costs 12-15K and ditto for clutch jobs.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 14:54   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Also keep in mind that a good independent mechanic will most likely be able to work on only the general stuff like suspension,clutch, etc. If there are any issues with the engine or fuel system, you will most likely have to go the dealer. The modern common rail power plants are terrific for power/mileage but parts/repairs get costlier than the old school IDI or DI Diesel engines.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 17:17   #130
BHPian

At the risk of opening up a battleroyale here, is this going to be any better with a Scorpio?

If not, can you help me with some options? My family is my wife, I and a kid, we have a small car (Zen Estilo). I feel unsafe in it for MG road where the speeds are high and accidents are a dime a dozen. And not too comfortable for the long haul.

A second hand is clearly not ok. Indicative budget is in the range of Safari GX, but I dont necessarily have to spend the money

Last edited by k!ng_@thur : 6th April 2010 at 17:19.
k!ng_@thur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 18:07   #131
Senior - BHPian

Assuming you will be doing 20k / year. You will complete 80 in 4 years which are covered under extended warranty. I will not assume an injector or fuel assembly component change but assuming you would have already undergone 1 clutch change and suspension overhaul depending on the roads you cover , check JKdas's recent update on this for costs at 65K(?) running.

Next would be your timing belt in the 6th year or after 100k kms and rest everything else should be routing servicing, you can again check on how much a routine servicing costs. If you intend to keep it for 8 years, another clutch change and suspension overhaul can be expected inbetween.

IMO, 5-6 years is the ideal time to replace your vehicle but we usually use them more than that (some upto 10 years) but also as any vehicle grows old it demands some additional maintenance in terms of parts wearing out with age etc etc, add 10-15% to the routine servicing cost as incremental costs/ year and you have your figure.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 22:20   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_turbo View Post
I just wanted to know the extremes where I can bring the Safari without it coming back looking like a Bolero.

DJ
The Safari is very capable offroad. Its weight works against it in slush and soft sand and is prone to bogging down. Offroad specific tires like the ones used by the jeepers and the gypsies will transform the vehicle but then the onroad performance will suffer.
Secondly the approach and departure angles dont help much. Yet, manyt obstacles can be negotiated with some smartness and tact.
I wont comment about extreme offroading. In all the OTR threads you will see everyone getting stuck, jeep/gypsy/Safari, etc. The Safari can be used for recreational offroading if you understand the capabilities and the limitations on the Safari. Its got tons of torque and the horses to back you in almost any given situation.
Due to the above listed constraints it cant do some of the stuff that the serious offroad enthusiasts perform.
All said the Safari is a whole lot of fun offroad. You can enjoy decent comfort while you rough it out which to me is a plus. At the end of it you can rip back home at 160kph without a bother before the tiredness begins to hit you.

Ive completed 2 years of using my Safari to my hearts content. I shall update my long term ownership shortly.

Here is a link of a fellow offroader Ibrahim from Pune with his Safari offroad. He also offroads in a gypsy. Get in touch with him for comparative feedback. The pics show some of the stuff the Safari is capable of.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...tr-pune-2.html (Saturday morning OTR - Pune)

@ king_rthur >>
A Safari may be expensive to maintain beyond four years. It all depends upon your usage also. To anyone intending to buy a Safari I suggest you invest in the extended warranty right from the start. It will give you 4 years of complete peace of mind. I will also suggest that in these 4 years, pile on the mileage as much as you can and use the vehicle to its fullest potential.

The Safari is quite capable of being a long term car to have beyond 4 years also. Again it depends upon your driving style, usage and "luck". The labour rates at the TASS are expensive an so are the parts. The same OE parts are available in the Mumbai market for approx 25% less. Except for ECU related issues your Safari can be fixed by a competent mechanic outside of the TASS... finding one is a challenge though.

But the new Safari is a much improved beast. The gearbox(4x4 also), differentials and the suspensions are proven for reliability beyond doubt. Brakes are dcent. Handling is quite sorted too. The engine is wonderful and the ecu has gone through many software updates to improve all the parameters. If anything can let you down in a Safari, it will be either your luck or Tata's QC.

Regards,

Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 6th April 2010 at 22:32.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 00:02   #133
R_R
BHPian

I have a similiar issue as king_rthur: Am also thinking of a 4x4 Safari (but EX) but also considering the possibility of a second-hand Grand Vitara (2007-2009) because of its reputed reliability. Love both vehicles, but Safari seems like a bit of a lottery and of course any second-hand is always a bit of a lottery! Still puzzling, and would love to hear any and all opinions.
R_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:42   #134
Team-BHP Support

If you are not getting a 4x4 for recreational offroading, but for trips to hills, and go where you please vehicle, safari is good.
But there are some things you need to take in mind.
1. Driving on long distance driving holidays on bad roads takes a toll on the bushes. They cost 3500-5000 in total replacement costs
2. Suspension will give away around 60-70K when you will need to invest another 15K
3. Ditto for the clutch.
apart from that there is a certain lottery element involved in keeping safari beyond extended warranty.
This of it this way.
Talk to any safari owner with a 4 year old safari, and ask him how much he has "not spent" on warranty replacements?
You will spend that much after extended warranty is over.

As for the scorpio, going by the ownership threads and all, its seems to be better in that regard. I think thats the reason scorpio sells much more than the safari, inspite of it being smaller and uglier(again my subjective view).
But remember, both the Indian brands have possiblity of trouble down the line.
In the used market the GV will be good, but what you save in repairs etc., you will spend in fuel. Also parts will be very expensive if something does fail(a rare thing, but nevertheless can happen with any vehicle).

IF you would like to play safer than safari 4x4, go for a scorpio 4x4.
In the sub 10 lac market or around 10 lac, these are the only choices you have.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:53   #135
R_R
BHPian

Thanks, tsk1979. Agree with your logic.
But still can't make up my mind!
I have a couple of weeks more, then I absolutely have to get off the fence and decide. But good to get your (and others') inputs.
R_R is offline   Reply With Quote