Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 4th March 2007, 08:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

I used to drive a Diesel Mahindra Commander before I switched over to the tiny Petrol Daewoo Matiz and now I have a Diesel Mahindra Scorpio. I find teh same driving experience notwithstanding technical issues, one adapts to driving each vehicle. I continue to be the first off the block at the signals, overtaking me is not easy and except for the higher engine noise, I experience the same level of driving. Of course, since the Commander and Scorpio are UVs, I am sitting at a vantage position overlooking other car roofs but the driving experience is much the same.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 10:20   #17
BHPian

pogu,the first and most important change you will have to make when migrating from a petrol to a diesel is to make sure you tell the pump attendant which fuel you want-diesel and not petrol!!

diesel cars get their 'kick' in the lower areas of the revv-band(say around 2000-3500rpm)so you may need to shift gears more frequently!!oh another thing which most owners forget is to wait till the pre-heat symbol(an orange coloured coil,in the instrument cluster)goes off till you start the car.apart from these i dont thing there are many changes to be made in the driving style!!

maruti 800 to a safari??from david to goliath!!now that means you will have to make a lot of changes to your driving habits!!!
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 10:48   #18
BHPian

from 800 to turbo lag during initial rpms .. is noticeable for a 800 guy ?
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 10:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
diesel cars get their 'kick' in the lower areas of the revv-band(say around 2000-3500rpm)so you may need to shift gears more frequently!!
2000 to 3500..hahaha..thats news..The Dicor redlines at 3000 rpm.
Gear shifting is smooth..

Quote:
oh another thing which most owners forget is to wait till the pre-heat symbol(an orange coloured coil,in the instrument cluster)goes off till you start the car.!!
Pleaseeeee... did'nt the man say he is buying the Dicor.. I dont see any "COIL" on my Dicor's instrument cluster.. Start the car normally after the normal warning lights go "OFF"( approx 3 seconds) like you do for other cars.. The only difference if that since its a Turbo you have to give it 30 seconds of Idiling after starting the car.. and another 30 seconds of idiling before shutting down the vehicle..Simple..

Quote:
maruti 800 to a safari??from david to goliath!!now that means you will have to make a lot of changes to your driving habits!!!

Guys.. stop scaring the poor guy huh.. The only issue you will have are
1. Sheer size from 800 to Dicor.. So be carefull on roads while overtaking and negotiating turns till you get used to the vehicle

Its basically a heavy SUV.. so obviously the engine though refined will be lazy.. but once you get the hang of it its a cake walk..

You will get used to it soon.. I did...jumped from Esteem to the Dicor..and i did not face any issues..

Godfather

Last edited by Godfather : 4th March 2007 at 10:51.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 11:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

You will get used to it soon.. I did...jumped from Esteem to the Dicor..and i did not face any issues..

Godfather
Huh..!! Wonder how u would have felt after sitting in those low seats of esteem....It must be like sitting on a sofa on esteem' roof.....
No offence yaar...!!!

KP
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 13:49   #21
BHPian

Thanks all for your valuable feedback. Is the gear changes at low RPM applicable even for the so called more refined diesel engines of the likes of FIESTAs, VERNAs etc or this recommendation is specifically for the DICOR

regars
POGU
pogusingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 14:15   #22
BHPian

Shifitng from 800 to safari. That is a nice jump. I think once you drive the vehicle for an hour or so you will get the hang of it.

You get the opportunity to "Recliam your Life"

cheers
Rahul
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 15:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Pogu am sure you will adjust your driving style naturally when you move on to the safari,absolutely no need to worry.

With diesels maximum/peak torque and power is achieved at much lower RPm's compared to their petrol counterparts be it the VGT verna or the non vgt dicor.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 06:05   #24
BHPian

Default thanks godfather!

hi all!
thanks for making me feel easy.i plan to graduate from a matiz to a dicor in the next 3 months.
done my fair share of driving though.from urban rallying to jungles of bhaun khal to gangotri,ladakh the works.
but from a little dinky car to a truck sure must be one hell of a heave.
would welcome any advice from the team to make me breathe easy.
thanks.
doctorkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 09:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Hi,

If you have not seen reviews on mouth shut...please see some tips on petrol vs diesel cars.

Read Reviews on Petrol Vs. Diesel car - MouthShut.com

Cheers

Raj
rajshenoy is online now   Reply With Quote