Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 06:10   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore/Atlanta
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Mercedes ML350 or Acura MDX? Need help

Hey guys, I am planning on changing my Mercedes GL 450 in for something a little smaller... right now my options are between the 2010 Mercedes ML 350 and the 2010 Acura MDX.

Any opinions will be highly appreciated... just keep in mind where I am residing the prices for both will turn out roughly the same, so price is not really a factor.
I know a Benz is a Benz, but the interior of the ML is exactly the same as that of the GL, hardly any difference at all, and since I have been driving one for 3 years (not to mention the older ML before that), I was looking for a change. However the new ML does look a lot sportier.

So should I risk it and go for a change or stick with the tried and tested? Please help!!

Pics below... what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes ML350 or Acura MDX? Need help-2010_acura_mdx_press_011.jpg  

Attached Images
 
Ickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 09:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,937
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default

I really loved Acura's, especially the TL and MDZ, but the new design philosophy or whatever, of sticking a slab of chrome across the grill has really pissed me off. The cars look butt ugly now, and expecially the TL's ruined. So looks wise, no beating the ML. I guess you're going to have to factor in the reliability and cost of ownership etc. Since you previously owned a GL I doubt you'll have a problem with Mercedes or the ML. I vote for the ML !!
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 10:16   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,890
Thanked: 9,723 Times
Default

Am not sure whether a new ML is in the pipeline
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 19:21   #4
BHPian
 
Bailee_Jatt_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 126
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Are you considering the RDX also? or is it too small for your requirement? I feel that the MDX is under powered. Too heavy for the engine. I have not driven the 2010 though. My vote would be to go for ML out of the two.

The other option that you might want to consider is Lexus RX 350 or 450. But again this might also be small for your need.

If provide some more inputs on how much space you are looking for I think you will get better inputs.
Bailee_Jatt_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 22:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,974
Thanked: 2,497 Times
Default

Having owned a ML320 and dealt with Mercedes quality issues, I suggest go for the MDX.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 08:48   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

I was not impressed by the 2008 MDX. Hard ride, pathetic fuel efficiency, all it had going for it was lot of gizmos at that price.

Things may have changed in 2010, but I say go with your heart, so you will not be disappointed.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 08:58   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default

if i am not wrong, MDX comes with 3 rows of seat while ML comes with 2 rows to seat 7 and 5 respectively. if capacity is important go for MDX.

Personally, i don't like looks of MDX. Prefer ML's elegance. Also performance of ML is better compared to MDX. And status quo for Mercedes is any day better than Acura. 2010 ML has higher grade interior than MDX.

I would vote for ML 350.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 11:39   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore/Atlanta
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Are you considering the RDX also? or is it too small for your requirement? I feel that the MDX is under powered. Too heavy for the engine. I have not driven the 2010 though. My vote would be to go for ML out of the two.

The other option that you might want to consider is Lexus RX 350 or 450. But again this might also be small for your need.

If provide some more inputs on how much space you are looking for I think you will get better inputs.
Hmmm yeah the RDX is a little too small for my taste. Was looking for a smallish SUV instead of a crossover-type vehicle. I currently have a GL which is 7 seats and huge, whereas the MDX is also 7 seater but after opening up the 3rd row seating the trunk space is nonexistent. So that's a minus. I am ok with the 5 seating capacity and decent trunk space of the ML however

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
I was not impressed by the 2008 MDX. Hard ride, pathetic fuel efficiency, all it had going for it was lot of gizmos at that price.

Things may have changed in 2010, but I say go with your heart, so you will not be disappointed.
Yeah a lot of options that are available for the ML come standard with the MDX liek leather seats, rear-view camera, blind-spot detection, etc.. but I don't have the experience of driving an MDX, so as u said I dont know much about the ride. The ML's ride is far from luxurious but decent nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
if i am not wrong, MDX comes with 3 rows of seat while ML comes with 2 rows to seat 7 and 5 respectively. if capacity is important go for MDX.

Personally, i don't like looks of MDX. Prefer ML's elegance. Also performance of ML is better compared to MDX. And status quo for Mercedes is any day better than Acura. 2010 ML has higher grade interior than MDX.

I would vote for ML 350.
Yep you are correct But I have seen the 3rd row seats inthe MDX, and they are more suited for children than adults...very cramped with regards to leg space, and as I mentioned above, once you open up the 3rd row there goes the trunk space. But the option of a third row is at least there...in the new ML it's not. The old ML I had driven had the same option, but again I hardly used the 3rd row seats because they are not at all comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I really loved Acura's, especially the TL and MDZ, but the new design philosophy or whatever, of sticking a slab of chrome across the grill has really pissed me off. The cars look butt ugly now, and expecially the TL's ruined. So looks wise, no beating the ML. I guess you're going to have to factor in the reliability and cost of ownership etc. Since you previously owned a GL I doubt you'll have a problem with Mercedes or the ML. I vote for the ML !!
Yeah I hate the front of all the vehicles too... they all look the same. But i'll have to disagree with u about the TL. Are you talking about the latest 2010 model? Coz I think it looks pretty mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Am not sure whether a new ML is in the pipeline
I am not sure either, I was talking about the 2010 ML which is already out. Will have to wait a while before they redo it I guess..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Having owned a ML320 and dealt with Mercedes quality issues, I suggest go for the MDX.
Thanks for the input. I had no problems with my old ML, but the GL gave me a lot of grief with its transmission, however M-B service was great. It is to be expected when a new model comes out...I should have probably held off but I got it when it was brand new, which is always risky.


Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by bblost : 8th December 2009 at 11:58. Reason: back 2 back posts, please use multi quote instead.
Ickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 05:05   #9
BHPian
 
Bailee_Jatt_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 126
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Thats what I though

Have you considered BMW X5? The 4.8 rides really really cool. I know technically it is still a cross over but I think it pulls its weight on a being a full bloodied SUV.

If the Germans wont do it for you then how about thinking American, Chevy traverse for example or Buick Enclave if you need the Tag.
Bailee_Jatt_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 08:05   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore/Atlanta
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Thats what I though

Have you considered BMW X5? The 4.8 rides really really cool. I know technically it is still a cross over but I think it pulls its weight on a being a full bloodied SUV.

If the Germans wont do it for you then how about thinking American, Chevy traverse for example or Buick Enclave if you need the Tag.
I love beemers but not their SUV's :-) I don't know, the design just doesn't go down well with me. I considered the Caddy Escadalade actually, but then again it's another gas guzzler like my GL, and I thought of downsizing this time.
Ickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 08:17   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Ramsagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore-Nellore
Posts: 1,327
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Liked the Acura, but there seem to not much of a difference in ML. Any thought of Cayenne with its lovely interiors.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 07:37   #12
BHPian
 
Bailee_Jatt_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 126
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

How about the Range Rover? Have you thought about it? The super charged Range Rover Sport is cool. It has the image and the power and drives well.

What is the max budget?
Bailee_Jatt_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 21:42   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore/Atlanta
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks for the input guys. Booked the 2010 ML 350 yesterday. Black with black interiors and P1 package, lighting package, & running boards. Sadly they didn't have all the options I wanted with the wheel package, so will have to do something about the wheels myself. Should get the car sometime next week.

Ramsagar and Balilee Jatt Boy: I would loooove a Cayenne or Ranger Rover, but my budget won't allow it since I just splurged on a E-class recently. Maybe next time :-)
Ickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 00:42   #14
BHPian
 
VIPER_SRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 432
Thanked: 171 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickx View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Booked the 2010 ML 350 yesterday. Black with black interiors and P1 package, lighting package, & running boards. Sadly they didn't have all the options I wanted with the wheel package, so will have to do something about the wheels myself. Should get the car sometime next week.

Ramsagar and Balilee Jatt Boy: I would loooove a Cayenne or Ranger Rover, but my budget won't allow it since I just splurged on a E-class recently. Maybe next time :-)
Congratulations Ickx! I hope you will enjoy your new ML 350. However I feel sad that you are letting go your GL. Was it a 2007 model? What's your personal experience about GL on a whole. I know you mentioned transmission problems and Gas guzzling. I'm considering 2010 GL450 for my next big SUV purchase. Also shortlisted are Audi Q7 and Escalade. Your input is highly appreciated.
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 01:12   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Anand123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 2,596 Times
Default

Congrats on your new ML. Please do post a detailed ownership experience and some pics of your GL.
Anand123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6 rbp Luxury, Imports & Niche 135 10th March 2015 14:15
My 2011 Mercedes ML350. EDIT: Now Sold at 3.3 years and 33K kms manveet Long-Term Ownership Reviews 79 14th April 2014 07:21
Mercedes ML350 CDI : 14 months of ownership mitul.k Long-Term Ownership Reviews 25 15th July 2013 15:32
ML350 or VW Phaeton? varunrdas Luxury, Imports & Niche 47 20th October 2011 21:34
Pics/Report : March 11th drive w/ an STI, TT, B16A, ML350, Fireblade, ZZR etc Rtech The Team-BHP Meet Section 189 9th March 2009 00:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks