Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 18th December 2009, 02:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

I disagree - bigger cars are *generally* safer.

Lets take a simple extreme example - if you crash an airbag ABS equipped sedan with a bus at high speed (remember the bus is nothing but a BIG car), what do you expect? that the passengers in the car will be completely safe while the bus passengers will be grievously injured?? Remember the bus has no ABS or airbags.

It is simple physics..in case of an impact, the bigger mass will always face lower deceleration and hence lower injuries to the occupants inside.

Of course the picture becomes less clear when the two masses (oops cars) colliding are within 10-20% of each others weight and one of them has Airbags..in this case the Airbags car will be safer.

NCAP ratings are valid for cars with similar mass and structure...please check http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-...able-cars.aspx

Last edited by Buffetfan : 18th December 2009 at 02:33.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 11:59   #17

Thanks everyone for all your practical and good suggestions!

The debate about a how safe a big or a small car could be can just go on..
Let me make my requirement clear again here that 'safety' here in my sense of this post would be mostly in city traffic as I'm looking for a car that my wife could safely drive to work

Yes, I agree about all the crash test standards and all, but do you still feel a small car would be as safe as a bigger one in case of city traffic(about 20 - 30Kmph) if someone comes in and bangs at the rear or sides of the car?
Atleast in the above case, a smaller car would be more susceptible, is what I believe. What do y'all say?
vtejasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 14:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

There is no end to the debate,like a few others have mentioned. One thing is very clear though.
A small car, with good safety features like the i20 is very safe for city driving and small to medium city crashes.
Remember the fact that it is the stiffness of the roll cage coupled with the effective crumple zones and inbuilt safety equipment like airbags, anti submarine seats, seatbelts, ESP, ABS etc that make up for a "Safe Car".

Also, please keep in mind that safety comes from both sides. If you feel she is not very well experienced, you could employ a driver in a small "safe" car till she gets used to driving and takes over the wheel herself.

You also have the option of looking for used Innova "V" which comes with airbags and ABS.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 14:35   #19
BHPian

Any car for that matter is as safe as a scorp or a gypsy at 30kph! Just have dark tint and there you go! My wife used to travel in a santro on the same road to whitefield via hebbal flyover and she didn't face any problem. She then shifted to the safari (not on a regular basis but once in a couple of weeks) and then too she didn't have any problems.

OT: Mostly my wife takes the office bus. If your wife has an option of office bus, then please ask to use the same. It will more or less take the same time and it is the safest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtejasd View Post
Thanks everyone for all your practical and good suggestions!

The debate about a how safe a big or a small car could be can just go on..
Let me make my requirement clear again here that 'safety' here in my sense of this post would be mostly in city traffic as I'm looking for a car that my wife could safely drive to work

Yes, I agree about all the crash test standards and all, but do you still feel a small car would be as safe as a bigger one in case of city traffic(about 20 - 30Kmph) if someone comes in and bangs at the rear or sides of the car?
Atleast in the above case, a smaller car would be more susceptible, is what I believe. What do y'all say?

Last edited by bantejas : 18th December 2009 at 14:37.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 16:07   #20
BHPian

Default fiesta

You can ask her to test drive a Fiesta. My wife tested a few cars and finally settled for it. She daily drives with Kids though Palm beach road in navi mumbai which a notorious one from driving point of view as people tend to drive on it like they are driving on palm beach road. So while finalising i had the safety aspect in mind that you have mentioned as since it has abs and air bags i have a piece of mind.
dkcrpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 19:51   #21
BHPian

if the route is crowded with cabs and lorries then just go for scorpio. here its more about avoiding accident then getting into accident.

firstly, its a mind game. Your wife will be confident in scorp than any hatchbacks or sedans so she can avoid nervous drive among the big vehicles.

Secondly, even if they try their tricks and if there is any minor accidents (touch wood), there wont be any big damage to scorp. air bags and other safety features in hatchbacks or sedans will definitely help but i believe the drive is more in a heavy traffic and therefore there are more possibilities for minor scratches and dents than head on collisions.
klassics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 20:03   #22
BHPian

Had a some what similar requirement.

Bought a Swift VDI for my wife after much thought and test rides last month.
Run 800 odd kms in a month seems to have been a good choice.

Would say go for Swift VDI.
goswami.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 06:03   #23
BHPian

@vtejasd : It Seems you have almost made up your mind for Scorpio. So looks like you would be satisfied in terms of Security only if the car you buy for your wife is Huge.That might be right as well. If that is what the requirement is I would advice you may have a look at the New SX4 AT as well.

Following Points would probably Impress you:
1) SX4 >> A Maruti Brand.So you get Low Maintainence, Better Resale Value in future if you plan to keep it for less than 5 years and Most Importantly the Triumph card of Maruti i.e. their After Sales service. If your wife gets troubled with any Issues with the car during her Daily commute,would be easier for her to reach out to a nearest Maruti workshop or probably a Garage.
2)Has Automatic Transmission,she would be a lot relaxed during the Drive
3)SX4 has come up with New VVT Engine so you get better mileage and better performance than earlier one
4)It has ABS,Air Bags,Automatic Climate Control as well . For a City Drive I dont you need more than 2 Airbags.In fact there are rarely any cases where Airbags get used in City accidents
5)And lastly your requirement of a Huge and Bulky Car also gets Fulfilled.

Do let us know what decision you land up to.

Good Luck!!
cedizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 13:09   #24
BHPian

I agree with Tejas's point of view of safety. The drivers of SUV/MUV, especially ladies, are less likely to be bullied by cab drivers than ladies driving small hatchbacks or sedans.

Tejas, i would suggest you opt for an SUV/MUV for your wife, if it fits your budget.

-Pallavi
Pallavi is offline   Reply With Quote