Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 23:28   #1
BHPian
 
krazyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai/Hong Kong
Posts: 329
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Which Automatic SUV?

Hey guys,

So it's about time for me to ask a question!

The situation is that we currently have a AT Corolla in Mumbai and we need another car. Since we already have a car, we'd like to go in for an SUV, and that too an Automatic. We thought that the CRV was one of the best options. Since we don't stay in Mumbai we decided to keep the budget of 8-10 lakhs. We're looking for models 2005+, and which haven't been used extensively (below 60,000 kms).

I've test-driven a second hand December 2005 CRV (previous generation) which had 37,000 kms on the clock. I've been offered 8.70 for the car. Do you think it's an appropriate price?

Also can you guys suggest any other SUV's that fit my requirements? And let me know if you know someone or where I can find good AT SUV's. We're willing to spend a couple of lakhs more for a good

Appreciate the help fella's.
krazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 23:34   #2
BHPian
 
dodge_v1per's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bhopal, India
Posts: 88
Thanked: Once
Default

The price for CR-V seems to be good but you can try negotiating and also this thing matters on the condition of car which can be told only after seeing it in person.
I don't think any new A/T Suv will be available in your budget expect Scorpio but for that you'll have to stretch it a bit.
dodge_v1per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 09:41   #3
BHPian
 
krazyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai/Hong Kong
Posts: 329
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

The condition of the CRV seems to be relatively good.

Like I said I'm not looking for a new one, I'm looking for a second-hand car. But we're willing to extend our budget to 15 lakhs if we find something good/worth the money.
krazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 22:33   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
aparth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,048
Thanked: 614 Times
Default

You could get a used Toyota Land Cruiser Prado ( previous gen ) for around 15 lacs.
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 12:18   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default

Well, since FE is not a constraint with you, the CRV suits your requirements to a "T".
No point investing more than 10 lacs for a used car in my opinion when the CRV will actually keep you happy, safe and excited in your usage pattern.
Being a Honda, it is also reliable, fun to drive and internationally successful.
Look for a good used piece and pick it up.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 12:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,931 Times
Default

CRV is not an SUV. First, thing: why do you want an SUV? The CRV can comfortably fit in as many people as an Accord would.
Don't get the Prado, maintenance would be a headache. Rather go for a new Endeavor (albeit, you will need to increase your budget) or the Scorpio AT which will fit in nicely in your budget and will be a new car as well.
Your CRV will have hopeless FE (the manual is bad, so you can imagine an AT - it should give you not more than 5kmpl). It will also have poor resale.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 12:33   #7
BHPian
 
krazyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai/Hong Kong
Posts: 329
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
You could get a used Toyota Land Cruiser Prado ( previous gen ) for around 15 lacs.
What year range does the previous gen come in? Also, where can I find it?

Any other automatic jeeps I can get within a 15 lakh budget?
krazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 12:45   #8
BHPian
 
krazyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai/Hong Kong
Posts: 329
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
CRV is not an SUV. First, thing: why do you want an SUV? The CRV can comfortably fit in as many people as an Accord would.
Don't get the Prado, maintenance would be a headache. Rather go for a new Endeavor (albeit, you will need to increase your budget) or the Scorpio AT which will fit in nicely in your budget and will be a new car as well.
Your CRV will have hopeless FE (the manual is bad, so you can imagine an AT - it should give you not more than 5kmpl). It will also have poor resale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, since FE is not a constraint with you, the CRV suits your requirements to a "T".
No point investing more than 10 lacs for a used car in my opinion when the CRV will actually keep you happy, safe and excited in your usage pattern.
Being a Honda, it is also reliable, fun to drive and internationally successful.
Look for a good used piece and pick it up.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions fella's.

Well I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but the new vehicle would be for my mom. And her two major requirements that the car be a jeep and automatic transmission.

We came to find the CRV as a conclusion since it had those 2 requirements.

She likes the Scorpio as a car, but she would not consider owning one. She thinks that it's not as 'prestegious'. No offence meant to Scorpio owners!

We're unsure about the Endeavour becuase we've heard that the maintenance costs would be high. Is that true? What would be the difference between the CRV and Endeavour maintenance costs?

P.S. - Mods delete my previous post.
krazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 13:03   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default

Yes,the Endy's upkeep is definitely more than the CRV as Ford spares are known to be expensive. There have been some recent attempts by Ford to lower the costs but I dont think it will make a big difference to this segment.

But, the Ford is a diesel and your running costs would be low which may make up for your expensive spares. Also, the Endy doesnt have a very good resale value so when and if you want to sell it you need to take what you get.
In case you are also concerned about the financial aspect, I would suggest, draw up your usage pattern, and then plan things out.

If you want a no nonsense comfortable, reliable and established AT SUV for your Mom and can afford the fuel and moderate upkeep costs, the CRV is more like it.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 14:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,931 Times
Default

Since it's for your mom, scratch the endeavor. It may be too big for her to handle. Go for the used CRV then. However, CRV spares are expensive too!
For a used AT, check the gearbox from Honda. Ideal way to buy any honda car is to go to their used car division called Auto Terrace. There they sell used hondas with one year warrantee on engine and gearbox. Also they do all touch ups FOC.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 14:12   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
aparth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,048
Thanked: 614 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
What year range does the previous gen come in? Also, where can I find it?

Any other automatic jeeps I can get within a 15 lakh budget?

The year range would be between 1997 to 2002. But the maintenance would be on the higher side.
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 17:31   #12
BHPian
 
krazyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai/Hong Kong
Posts: 329
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Thanks for the help gang.

I test-drove the latest gen CRV yesterday. It was a 2006 model and it was in a pretty good condition. We have made an offer, and hopefully we shall be picking that up.

Fingers crossed.
krazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 17:39   #13
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 595 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Thanks for the help gang.

I test-drove the latest gen CRV yesterday. It was a 2006 model and it was in a pretty good condition. We have made an offer, and hopefully we shall be picking that up.

Fingers crossed.
glad to hear you bought a CRV which is a Crossover vehicle and not a SUV since its based on Civic's platform!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:22   #14
BHPian
 
krazyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai/Hong Kong
Posts: 329
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

GOOD NEWS GUYS!

Looks like the tables turned and somehow within 2 days I managed to get myself a BMW 5-series which is parked downstairs! It's a silver coloured 525i.

I will post further details later on as I leave for Hong Kong tonight. I will miss this baby.
krazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:38   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
aparth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,048
Thanked: 614 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
GOOD NEWS GUYS!

Looks like the tables turned and somehow within 2 days I managed to get myself a BMW 5-series which is parked downstairs! It's a silver coloured 525i.

I will post further details later on as I leave for Hong Kong tonight. I will miss this baby.

Congrats buddy.

Eagerly awaiting the details !
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying an Automatic Car (Preferably Diesel). EDIT : Bought an OHC Automatic! Games Goblin Modifications & Accessories 27 13th October 2011 11:09
Another automatic in the house - i10 Automatic jesal Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 167 12th August 2011 12:59
Looking for an automatic car or SUV jacksons What Car? 22 16th January 2010 07:20
WagonR (automatic) or Santro (automatic) Blue Thunder Hatchbacks 6 24th August 2007 08:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks