Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 26th December 2009, 00:25   #1

Default Hunt for a UV - the chase begins

I am in hunt for a larger vehicle. My needs are very simple

a. I cruise in highways at about hundred and have no great need for speed(though the latent desire to floor is always there but kept under control)
b. In the city -should be able to pretty much drive in 3rd gear. Changing gears must be easy
c. Diesel- more efficient engine. And ofcourse a cheaper fuel
d. Want the ability to take 5 people in comfort-should be able to add a couple of passengers in short intra city ferrying jobs. Lots of functions/relatives in city
e. Should be able to cruise in long drives- western karnataka, kerala and tamil nadu primarily. Roads are temperamental in some of those areas appearing when they feel like it.
f. Safety on long drives especially given the tendency of cows and people to perambulate on the highway - Braking is pretty important.
g. Do all this and be comfortable sitting in this for the driver (ahem Me) and the passengers.
Budget of 9 L- just a wee bit stretchable.

Right so given the above- the shortlist became
  • Innova
  • Scorpio
  • Xylo
  • Safari

Innova- Only G1 version would come anywhere nearer so that was the only consideration. TD- pretty impressive. Ingress was easy. Gear was long but still pretty accurate. Plastics interior was all good. It did pretty well on bad roads too- though apparently(from Team BHP forums) fully loaded the undercarriage might scrape a bit. Once I started driving - it was as easy to drive as my Santro once you got the spatial orientation right. Reversing and parking was breeze (invest in a rear sensor though as I was nervous while parking the first time). However its drawbacks
1. Expensive- OTR its about 10.4 L going a bit above my budget
2. Lacks ABS- though my friend(who just loooves his innova) drove it at 120 and was still able to use the brakes well enough to avoid a serious crash. But still…
Verdict: Right off you go down the order my friend-you are just a wee bit expensive to acquire.

Safari-Felt good in the sitting at the wheel-the space, the vista from the cockpit. Just seemed to feed the ego a bit(and a bit more). Starting a was a bit noisy but once I got it into gear it was not very intrusive. In driving everything just seemed a bit away- the gear knob, the system. The drive was good- everyone in the road fled like startled sparrows on seeing this boy come through. Tried doing a bit of a quick overtaking maneouvre- it hates that. It went in the Zig fair enough (not with alacrity but with a "if you say so mode") but in the Zag it seemed to stamp its feet and say enough of that young man-BEHAVE. Like a chastised kid went through my TD routines quietly.
Read the posts in team BHP on Safari and went back and TD again. Guess it would be great for cruising on the highway but in the City not too sure- that remains my feeling. The final nail in the coffin was that the ABS version was waay out of my reach at 11 L. This boy needs a ABS like nobody's business and only Gx and above had it.

Right down to Xylo and Scorpio.
OK before that - the SUV and MUV (a.k.a. people mover). I guess in the indian context all the above vehicles fit the MUV needs. They are all 7-9 seaters and work best on roads and at best can be soft roaders (a.k.a. village roads). That’s my opinion anyways (maybe the 4WD in scorpio and Safari mean that they can possibly be adequate at being a SUV- not meaning to start a flame). Just my thoughts. Right so thats why all the 4 vehicles were in contention.
Back to work-so the comparison of the two based on my TD.
Or rather the format I chose to compare the two does not look too good. Rather than rewiting will just upload the excel sheet (look in the comparison).

And the winner is ....I am pulled in two directions. Rationale (or atleast what passes for it) seems to say Xylo given my decision parameters yet Scorpio, Scorpio, Sigh. Hold on maybe the good folks at Team BHP can provide some inputs. (Why did I wait this long before deciding to buy- thats a story for another rainy night). Folks times a wasting and need to decide by Monday. Need some help
Attached Files
File Type: xls My TD.xls (27.0 KB, 390 views)
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 08:38   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
I am in hunt for a larger vehicle. My needs are very simple
I am not sure if you have TD a Xylo but would be worth considering and probably you would get a Top end variant. I feel the SAFARI is still worth its money.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th December 2009 at 16:54. Reason: Quote fixed.
harendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 10:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

*Wrong thread*
Look for your answers here: SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s - Team-BHP
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 11:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
*Wrong thread*
Look for your answers here: SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s - Team-BHP
Yep did think about that- but since I was putting down my TD experiences as well thought of putting it down here. Have pretty much gone through all the threads there . Mods-if it makes sense you can move it there.
Old 26th December 2009, 13:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wait till the Auto Expo 2010 in Jan, you might find more and better choices coming soon (on display) + Euro IV engines.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 09:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, your requirements are well defined and your limitations too are pretty clear. Going by the above, the Scorp is indeed a good choice for you if you are comfortable with it.
Moreover, the consistent sales figures of the Scorpio month on month coupled with its greater reliability too add to this factor. A new LX or a sparingly used SLX should easily fit into your budget.
In case you need any help in hunting one down, just let me know.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 11:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I am in hunt for a larger vehicle. My needs are very simple:..
I have a Xylo and two cousins have Scorpios that I have driven extensively, so here is my opinion. Hope it helps.

a. I cruise in highways at about hundred and have no great need for speed
The Scorpio mHawk is the better (more refined) and quicker engine. You can easily cross 100 without realizing it. The Xylo mEagle is no slouch either - I have personally reached a top-speed of 135 on a straight & empty stretch of GQ, and it still felt it had some spare horses under the hood. I believe that M&M's claim of 165 kmph top-speed for the Xylo is not too far from reality.

That said, the handling of both vehicles does not inspire confidence when driven at over 100 kmph. I find the handling of both vehicles about the same - but if I had to pick one, I'd say that the Xylo's long wheelbase gives it a slight edge (or maybe I am biased towards the Xylo ). My max point on the Xylo is 115, beyond that I feel edgy as if I am losing control. I generally cruise between 80 - 100 on the GQ depending on road & traffic conditions.

b. In the city -should be able to pretty much drive in 3rd gear. Changing gears must be easy
Both Scorpio & Xylo have good gear ratios and you can easily drive around the city with moderate traffic with minimal gear changes and mostly in 3rd gear. However the gear shifting is not smooth - especially compared to the Innova. The Xylo shift is notchy and vibrates at all gears. In my particular car, finding the reverse is a miss 1 out of 5 times. The TD car at the dealership has the same problem finding the 3rd gear. I found Scorpio's gear shift to be slightly better.

c. Diesel- more efficient engine. And ofcourse a cheaper fuel.
The Xylo is a tad more fuel efficient than the Scorpio. I have clocked 6K+ on the ODO and observed 11-11.5 kmpl in the City, 14+ kmpl on straight high-way runs and 12.7 kmpl overall till date.

d. Want the ability to take 5 people in comfort
The Scorpio's 3rd row seating has little leg room - very difficult for adults to sit there for anything longer than a short-drive (should be OK for short city stints). The 2nd row is Ok, but not as roomy as one would like. The Xylo scores big in spacious-ness. Can carry 8 adults in excellent comfort for long distance.

e. Should be able to cruise in long drives
No problem - both vehicles have big, hearty engines that can go on all day without worries, and are very capable in tackling Indian roads (or their absence).

f. Safety on long drives - Braking is pretty important.
Get a version with ABS. It works exceedingly well and worth every paisa. Also airbags are available now in both Xylo & Scorpio, so do get them too. That said, you should make allowance for the additional size & weight of the vehicle. Don't throw it around like a Verna. Respect the vehicle's capabilities & limitations, and your safety will not be compromised.

g. Do all this and be comfortable sitting in this for the driver (ahem Me) and the passengers.
The Xylo seats are very comfortable - especially the 7-seater configuration. An aunt and a cousin commented that it was like travelling in a Volvo bus. The Scorpio's seats are also good, but I felt that the rear rows lacked a bit on the thigh support - and then there is the overall lack of leg-room.

Budget of 9 L- just a wee bit stretchable.
The Xylo E8 with airbags & ABS is priced a bit over 8L ex-showroom. The Scorpio SLE has similar pricing and comes with ABS (I do not know about availability of airbags in this variant).

To sum-up:
Buy the Scorpio for the "SUV-looks" and the "mHawk engine".
Or, if you can get past the looks, the Xylo is a better value in terms of space, comfort and practicality.

Cheers.
H3LIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 14:47   #8

@H3LIOS
You are summation is pretty spot on- I went through a similar thought process. Thanks for your inputs- pretty much everything points to a Xylo and as you say once I get past the looks. its d-day today and will decide.

@Devdath- Thanks for your offer. I would prefer a new vehicle so am taking my budget to 9.5 L which should suffice for both SLE or Xylo E8. Both of which have ABS. Could I tap on your expertise however when I go for a PDI?
Old 28th December 2009, 15:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Devdath- Could I tap on your expertise however when I go for a PDI?
You are most welcome. Just give me a buzz on:9243466235 when you intend to do a PDI and I will be happy to accompany you. Also, let me know the dealer you have finalised and the offers you are getting. We could try to negotiate further.

If I were in your place, I would pick up a Scorp because you need space for 5 people and not 8. The Scorp's engine is more powerful than the Xylo's. The Scorp looks and feels like an SUV compared to the Xylo which is an outright MUV/people mover. Just my 25 naya paisa of thought.

Last edited by n.devdath : 28th December 2009 at 15:15.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 22:40   #10
BHPian

I would suggest you to wait for the Indicruz. Also you might want to test drive the Grande MK.
kapss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 23:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The Scorpio wins and is the best in its class, all its shortcomings notwithstanding. Must say I have a beautiful 8 month ownership experience.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 23:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yossarian- Buy a Bolero VLX or a Scorpio LX with mHawk engine both are VFM vehicles.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 13:03   #13
BHPian

Well Yossarian,

Since your leaning heavily towards the Scorpio, it would not be a good time to mention that there is a newer version of the Xylo that is more affordable both to purchase and maintain with apparently better FE. Its called the D2. It might be worth looking at it before finalizing.

Personally I would have gone for the Scorpio as well, its that little rally car driver wannabe inside me that looks at any 4X4 and lusts for it.

I know its a Tuesday but best of luck, hope to see the pictures of your purchase soon.
indianchiefrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 15:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianchiefrsd View Post
Well Yossarian,

Since your leaning heavily towards the Scorpio, it would not be a good time to mention that there is a newer version of the Xylo that is more affordable both to purchase and maintain with apparently better FE. Its called the D2. It might be worth looking at it before finalizing.

Personally I would have gone for the Scorpio as well, its that little rally car driver wannabe inside me that looks at any 4X4 and lusts for it.

I know its a Tuesday but best of luck, hope to see the pictures of your purchase soon.
This has the Scorpio M2DI powerplant with black bumpers and so on and is a stripped version of the Xylo for the taxi market.It appears to have been launched to take on the taxi trade's "very" friendly Tavera and Sumo Victa.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 13:07   #15

After all the rational weighing of the pros and cons, I couldnt decide between the xylo and Scorpio. Thought about all options, closed my eyes and the white Scorpio beckoned to me. Plonked down the down-payment and walked out with a smile. Hoping the Kotak chaps complete the processing quickly .